Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New member here! I'm from Portugal and my SO from the Netherlands!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member here! I'm from Portugal and my SO from the Netherlands!

Hello there!

I am kind of new here. Some weeks ago I made a very silly post when in need of help, and the people who answered me were very kind. But now I realize I don't know where to start here... So can someone please tell me how is your daily visit to the forum? and how to use the forum the best way?

Also, I am from Portugal and my SO from the Netherlands. Is there some dutch people over here? I would really like some guidance, since I will move to the Netherlands in 10 weeks! I am super excited and longing for this new experience.

I would like to help other people too. So I hope I can nicely contribute to the forum!

Nice to meet you all!
    And good luck with the distance. We can do it!

Greetings from this small european country!
    Last edited by Jess!; May 8, 2013, 05:19 PM.

Oh hello!
    I wish you a warm welcome here. I'm sure you'll find the right guidance you are looking for!
    Usually, I just look at the new posts and see if I can help and contribute in it. We have a lot of fun posts such as "counting down the days" in which you can post everyday. I think everyone uses this forum differently, so just take your time and find you way here.

I'm from the Netherlands myself, so if you need any help, or have any questions, just let me know!

Have a nice day!
    Love,
    Mellow
    You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

Thank you very much! That seems easy. I am quite an anxious person and I think the forum is a nice way to cope with that So far I have no questions, but they will arrise and maybe I will contact you!

Groetjes en dank u wel!

J

Comment

Oi Jess, Welcome to LFAD!
        I know of at least 2 dutch members, but maybe there are some more or members in your situation: in a LDR with a person from The Netherlands.

Where in Portugal are you? I went to Porto last year in March. Some cool/interesting sights. Very photogenic by night. But I gotta admit that my friends and I favorite was the wine! :-) Man, was that good!!

Also, are you moving to Amsterdam or somewhere else? I'm sure you're gonna like it there. I loved the Netherlands and I plan on visiting it again later this year -granted everything goes well- /Amsterdam /The Hague /Rotterdam /Delft (my brother lives there)

Again, Welcome!

Comment

Hi there! How nice
          I am from Porto!!! Oh, I love this city. I am glad you liked it! It is very ironic, but I don't like wine ahah.
          You are from Colombia, right? It's always funny for me to speak english with spanish-speakers bur english works as fine for me!

I applied to a dutch university to do a master programme. I am waiting for their answer (should be this month!) and then my partner and I will find a place for ourselves half way our job and school. I already visited the Netherlands and I just love it! I never had any pre-conceived idea about the country (like the usual stereotypes) and I really got surprise with the culture. I want to merge the culture as much as I can and I am already learning dutch!).

Thank you again! I feel very welcomed!
          Greetings

Comment

I am not Dutch but my SO tells me I am honorary Dutch. LOL. My SO lives near the Dordrecht area. I have been studying the language over there for a long time but it is hard for me to learn. I love the Dutch way of life. We live together over there when I am there every 3 months for about 3 months each time. We do the bikes rides all the time and visit the cheese shops and we love to ride the train to see more of the country too. We also go bowling, play pool, go to movies etc. The Netherlands offer a bit of everything. I have had a wonderful time learning all the Dutch customs and I am very lucky to have not only him but his family as well to introduce me to more Dutch culture each time I come. I love the way the Dutch people seem so very openly affectionate for their SO's. I will be back there again on about June 18th.

Welcome to LFAD.
            We both would really love to visit Portugal someday too.
            Last edited by Hollandia; May 8, 2013, 08:50 PM.
            "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
            Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Welcome to LFAD! Usually any time you need advice all you have to do is ask and you shall receive lol. We're a very lovely bunch if I do say so myself. As far as the forum is concerned,the only thing I can recommend is to search threads first before you ask questions because it could already be answered. Some people I've noticed don't like to search and then they post a topic that's already been previously answered and some even like to double post their threads. Other then that,just read around the threads and see what you can contribute to. Like Mellow said there are some threads you can post to daily like the countdown thread she mentioned & the game & ramble on threads. The more you post the more people get to know you. Some threads are however locked to a specific age group and can only be accessed and posted to after you've been here 30 days. Anyway,I hope you enjoy your time here and find some awesome people. If you ever need to talk I'm always here.

♥ In 666 Ways I Love You & My Heaven Is Wherever You Are. I'm For You. ♥

We Met: June 9,2010
              Back Together: August 1,2012
              First Visit: September 21,2012 - September 29,2012
              Second Visit: January 13,2013 - February 24,2013
              Engaged: January 17,2013
              Closed The Distance-MS - AZ: June 15th,2013
              Moved To FL Together: November 14,2013
              We Got Married! - July 3,2014
              SO Graduated College - August 7,2015
              Moved to Ky - August 10, 2015

Comment

Welcome!

I agree completely with LadyDaemon, she has given you all the "using LFAD forums advice" that you'll need
                Met Online: February 2009
                Feelings grew: January 2011
                First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
                Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
                Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
                Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
                Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
                Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
                Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
                Engaged: 1st of July 2012
                Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
                Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
                Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
                Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
                Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
                Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Welcome!

I have a couple of Portuguese buddies (although born in Australia) and they are the best!

Enjoy your time here.

Comment

Hi! I feel that too! About the families being very affectionate for their So's! I thought it was just me, but aparentely that must be cultural I agree with you! Luckily for us, we can see each other every month. But I study and work during the weekends so that I can visit him, and he works during the week, which actually leaves no time for visits... But my boss is the best and always gives me a weekend for him to come here and for me to go there. for me it's so hard only seeing him once a month, but I realize we are very lucky, right? And also, just a curiosity question!
                    I know a lot of people here consider to marry their SO if they want to live in the US together, for example. I do understand why (well in Europe we have the Schengen agreement), but at the same time I don't. What if I just wanted to live in the US and pretend I did not have a partner there? ahah just thinking. I didn't understand this during the "like crazy" film!

I love the Netherlands too! I already know german, which makes it easier to learn dutch. Add knowing english and french and it's even easier!

It is nice when people talk about Portugal such a small country. But it is very cheap compared to the Netherlands and has a lot of beach and sun!
                    Btw, doesn't your SO complains about how we should not say 'Holland'?

Thank you!
                    Last edited by Jess!; May 9, 2013, 04:31 AM. Reason: error typing

Comment

I can't actually make a concrete answer to each person. I hope you get it!

Comment

Cool! Your SO is from Estonia? one of my best friends is from there too. Such a small world it seems

Comment

Very unseful advice, Ladydaemon!! Thank you!

I meant ''usefull"!!
                          Last edited by Jess!; May 9, 2013, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jess! View Post
                            Cool! Your SO is from Estonia? one of my best friends is from there too. Such a small world it seems
                            Correct! Estonians are pretty cool, eh?

Comment

They are indeed!
                              My SO once told me he wanted to offer me a visit to go and meet my friend. It was the most romantic thing he could ever do... He said he wanted it to be a surprise, but at the sime he couldn't hide it, ahah.

But all I can say in estonian is Tere!

Comment

Working...
                              X