Well, Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, Hi

I usually don't join forums often anymore, but since I'm bored (and admittedly a bit lonely), I will.

I'm currently a 23 year old college student in Canada who has had several long distance relationships in the past (all the short-distance ones just never work out). Right now I'm with my girlfriend who is in Maine. Things are a little bit rough because on one hand, I wish my SO was around to talk and play video games and whatnot, I also recognize that her chosen line of work (animal care & rehab) is not exactly the easiest to find a job for, and thus requires a large amount of time dedicated to volunteering. She also hasn't been physically feeling well since she completed her finals, and yet here I am vying for attention I feel bad asking for. It's a rather terrible no-win scenario on my part, it feels like.

On a more positive note, we've been at this for quite some time and we're pretty satisfied with our relationship (sans times like this, but I imagine everyone has 'em). I myself am a software developer looking at the video game industry for employment (or writing; I've written several video game guides that have been officially recognized by some companies).

So...yeah. Not sure what else to write here.

welcome

It's hard when one person in the relationship is extremely busy, I think you just need to talk whenever you can and accept it.. because if you get upset about it you'll just ruin the little time you have! She is out there getting what she wants in life and trying to juggle it all. Maybe take up some new hobbies or focus on your own career goals even more, if you keep busy yourself you won't have much time to feel upset about her being busy too and you'll just enjoy your time together, also plan dedicated 'date nights' so you know when you'll be able to talk
    Met Online: February 2009
    Feelings grew: January 2011
    First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
    Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
    Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
    Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
    Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
    Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
    Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
    Engaged: 1st of July 2012
    Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
    Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012
    Eighth visit: 8 December 2012 - 12 January 2013
    Visa granted: 8th of May 2013
    Hawaii: 19 May - 2 June 2013
    Closed the distance: 16th of July 2013

Married my Englishman on the 4th of October 2013

Comment

Yeah, I suppose the trouble is that career-wise, I'm mostly at dead-ends looking online (I have some career counseling lined up, but that's very intermittent at best) and there's little else to do in my area (am trying to find volunteer work, but even that's not easy).

Comment

Welcome! We definitely all go through times where one person or both people in the relationship are very busy. In my LDR, it's usually me since I'm a student and he's not. He says it can be hard, but he devotes more time to lesson planning that way he can get ahead for the school year. He has more recently taken up experimenting with cooking and brewing beer since what guy doesn't love to eat and drink? Haha! Anyway, hope you like it here so far and it's wonderful to have you here with us!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD! I'm in Ontario too

Comment

Curious, where abouts? I'm in Hamilton right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow View Post
              Curious, where abouts? I'm in Hamilton right now.
              London!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD from another Ontario-resident! (in Ottawa)

What kind of experience do you have with video game development? I've been out of the loop for several years but EA Sports used to have a division in Montreal (I don't know if they still do) and some sort of Disney gaming division had a location in Kelowna BC. You could also look into Fuel Games here in Ottawa, i know they are still around. Or why not go independent and try to develop a phone game that could go viral?

I think the other posters gave some good advice about figuring out some time together and staying busy... sounds like advice I myself need to take!
                First met online: June, 2010
                First met in person: August, 2011 (See the story of our first visit)
                Second visit: December, 2011 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                Third visit together: August, 2012
                Fourth visit: December 2012 (Christmas and New Years together!)
                Fifth visit: July 2013 (2 weeks here in Canada)
                Sixth visit: December 2013 (Christmas and New Years together again and I finally met his mother!)
                Next visit: Unknown... for now but coming up ASAP

Comment

Originally posted by Verojoon View Post
                  Welcome to LFAD from another Ontario-resident! (in Ottawa)

What kind of experience do you have with video game development? I've been out of the loop for several years but EA Sports used to have a division in Montreal (I don't know if they still do) and some sort of Disney gaming division had a location in Kelowna BC. You could also look into Fuel Games here in Ottawa, i know they are still around. Or why not go independent and try to develop a phone game that could go viral?

I think the other posters gave some good advice about figuring out some time together and staying busy... sounds like advice I myself need to take!
                  I just completed a diploma in Software Development, so I don't really have a lot of actual experience (a significant problem). I'm not too confident in my coding skills, either. What I am confident in, however, is my English skills - I write guides to video games, one of which was recognized by Eidos. If you play the game in question (Battlestations Pacific) you'll actually see me listed in the credits =P

Fuel Games? I think I know someone there, too. The trouble is that they might not be having any junior positions. I'll take a look at the link though, thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X