Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new LDR

Hello everybody,

My name is Alex and my girlfriend's is Bethany. I'm turning 20 in two days and she is turning 21 in August. She is from Nottingham England and goes to school in Birmingham. I am from Toronto, and go to school in Halifax. We met in university in about September living in the same dorm hall, she was on a transfer year for one year. Been dating ever since we met basically. We were dreading being apart and she even got to come to my home for a month and we did a lot of good things. I maxed out my credit card a couple times but it was worth it completely. She just left to go back home today, I'm having a very rough couple of days and work is stressful, so I figured this was a good place for me to stick it out for a while, I hope. I am planning to go out to her at the end of August before school and probably again at Christmas. We were both very emotional at the airport and it was one of the worst feelings I've had as we are only apart because of distance, we had basically no fights whilst we were together so we have to tame a different animal now, I am quite worried. I'm not sure how it will work, we plan to skype and watch movies together and all of our TV shows we watched, I hope it is enough.

I wouldn't mind some advice or insight if anyone can provide some help from a similar situation.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Salutations! I'm in a new-er LDR and when I first joined this forum, just filtering through old threads eased my mind a bit about the do-ability, so to speak, of long distant relationships. So I recommend that.

Goodbyes are never easy, so think of them as "see you laters" and remind yourself you will see her again. So far my LDR has taught me what's really important in a healthy relationship, like, COMMUNICATION! And I know it's cliche, but as that corny saying goes, "you don't know what you have until it's gone", distance has helped me appreciated my SO in ways that I wouldn't have normally in a close distance relationship. ...Not saying I prefer it by any means, haha, but it's all about perspective. Reunions are like Christmas to the power of a billion.

Good luck, and welcome! You are not alone. c:

Comment

Welcome and yay Toronto (it's my second home lol). Remember things will work out how they are suppose to in the end

Treasuretrooper <-- how I helped pay for some of my LDR expenses when I was in one.

Comment

Welcome !

My SO is from Nottinghamshire , not actually Nottingham... but it's in the same shire!

Also, you'll get through the gust wrenching goodbye (or 'see you later') it's perfectly normal to take a few weeks to find your feet again, don't expect too much of yourself to feel back to normal... You two will find your long distance routine after a few weeks and it'll get a little easier. Whenever you can organise/book the next visit I would do that ASAP! It really helps to have a countdown
        Met Online: February 2009
        Feelings grew: January 2011
        First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
        Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
        Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
        Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
        Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
        Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012
        Sixth visit: 2 June - 7 July 2012
        Engaged: 1st of July 2012
        Seventh visit: 27 August - 23 September
        Visa lodged: 5th of November 2012