Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from London :-)

Hello LFAD Community :-).

I'm new here and although I joined back in February I hadn't really explored the community side of this site. I joined because I had just got into a long distance relationship (apologies for stating the obvious lol) and I guess since it was new to me I wanted to find advice and avenues/ways that could make being in such a relationship easier...queue Google search and then I managed to find myself here.

For the past few months I have been using this site as a reference point really, for ideas of things my b/f and I could do together whilst being far apart and questions to ask each other etc and it has been amazing. I hadn't logged in since I joined and received an e-mail today from LFAD and realised since I joined I actually hadn't logged in (like I said, I had been using the site as a reference point). So I came back to the site earlier today and explored what I had been missing, if I thought it was good before then it's even more amazing now.

My boyfriend and I met when I went on holiday to NY last year (I love that place and go at least once a year) and although we didn't really communicate much when I got back to London something changed just before Christmas and I found we were talking more and more. Back in February after a few weeks of intense conversations he asked me the question, I'm glad he did because even though I was uncertain about how things would work, it was something I was thinking about for weeks. Needless to say I said yes and it's been an amazing 3 months. He has even been to London to visit already, he was around for 2 weeks and left last week . It was the first time I had seen him since we started dating and only the second time I'd set eyes on him in the flesh (we've been Skyping at least once a week so it didn't really feel like it).

For me, last week was probably the hardest week since we started dating. I honestly didn't realise how much I would miss him when he was gone. It was almost as if him visiting and then leaving made things ten times as hard. I feel a little better now and assume the first visit and departure would obviously be the hardest but I guess I just want to know how others have and are coping.

Apologies for the essay and I'm looking forward to being part of the community.

xx

Welcome to LFAD!! I met my boyfriend on vacation too! How is the long distance treating you?

First met: June 2012
    Became Committed: June 04, 2012
    Entered an LDR: July 01, 2012
    Next Visit: October 2013!

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Welcome I'm another one from the UK with an American boyfriend. I went to NYC for the first time in April and I loved it there.

Comment

Thank you ams .

Well, prior to him visiting I wasn't finding it so hard...I had my days here and there. But now that I've seen him, spent time with him and we've grown even closer, it was horrible when he left. The first few days when he went back our messages were full of "I miss you a lot". But I'm getting used to him being at a distance again.

How has it been for you so far?

Comment

Thanks Anthea.

I hope you had a great time when you went , I love that place and can't get enough of it.

I see from your Daisypath you and your SO are meeting again in August...same here lol. Are you going out there or is he visiting London? I'm planning to go and visit in August, around the same time I went last year when we met.

Comment

Originally posted by PrincessT View Post
            Thank you ams .

Well, prior to him visiting I wasn't finding it so hard...I had my days here and there. But now that I've seen him, spent time with him and we've grown even closer, it was horrible when he left. The first few days when he went back our messages were full of "I miss you a lot". But I'm getting used to him being at a distance again.

How has it been for you so far?
            I haven't seen my boyfriend since we first met and we ended up having a lot of problems, but we've really sorted through them and are getting along really well. We miss each other a lot, and he's enlisting in the army, but other than that we love each other dearly Do you know when you'll see your boyfriend again??

XXX XXX

Distance between two hearts is not an obstacle, rather a beautiful reminder of just how strong true love can be.

Comment

Originally posted by ams.201220 View Post
              I haven't seen my boyfriend since we first met and we ended up having a lot of problems, but we've really sorted through them and are getting along really well. We miss each other a lot, and he's enlisting in the army, but other than that we love each other dearly Do you know when you'll see your boyfriend again??
              Awww I'm glad you've managed to sort things out. I'm finding that communication (as obvious as it is) and not 'just talking' is they key and it's imperative. Because we communicate so much in a day sometimes I forget how far away he is which I think helps a lot.

I should be seeing him in August . Prior to us dating I was planning to go around that time with friends so it 's worked out nicely.

Are you seeing your SO anytime soon?

Comment

Welcome fellow londoner

Nice to see someone else with a SO in the USA. makes me feel better xx

Comment

Awww I'm glad you've managed to sort things out. I'm finding that communication (as obvious as it is) and not 'just talking' is they key and it's imperative. Because we communicate so much in a day sometimes I forget how far away he is which I think helps a lot.

I should be seeing him in August . Prior to us dating I was planning to go around that time with friends so it 's worked out nicely.

Are you seeing your SO anytime soon?
                  That's so great that you'll see him soon! I'm really not too sure when I'll see him. We're kind of in a difficult situation. I'm in the middle of my undergraduate degree and he's enlisting in the army. If all goes well for him, he'll be in boot camp by the end of the month. If that happens, I don't know if I'll be able to even talk to him as much as I do now which is going to suck. He then graduates around October-ish. I'd love to attend his graduation ceremony, but for $300, I'd only be able to stay for a weekend, and to me that doesn't seem worth it since I don't even have that kind of money. I'd love to visit him over the summer, but my family doesn't even know we're going out again and I really don't want to tell them because they weren't so supportive last time.

If he gets stationed on the east coast, however, I'll be able to see him more often since the distance will be less. But regardless, we're planning on closing the distance after I graduate college.

XXX XXX

Comment

Originally posted by Louise_B View Post
                    Welcome fellow londoner

Nice to see someone else with a SO in the USA. makes me feel better xx
                    Thanks Louise , I'm pleased it's a lot more common than I thought lol.

LOL, this is uber weird but my SO was here from May 24 - June 3rd...I said last week in my introduction but that was this week, it feels like ages ago since he left. How was your meet?

Comment

That's so great that you'll see him soon! I'm really not too sure when I'll see him. We're kind of in a difficult situation. I'm in the middle of my undergraduate degree and he's enlisting in the army. If all goes well for him, he'll be in boot camp by the end of the month. If that happens, I don't know if I'll be able to even talk to him as much as I do now which is going to suck. He then graduates around October-ish. I'd love to attend his graduation ceremony, but for $300, I'd only be able to stay for a weekend, and to me that doesn't seem worth it since I don't even have that kind of money. I'd love to visit him over the summer, but my family doesn't even know we're going out again and I really don't want to tell them because they weren't so supportive last time.

If he gets stationed on the east coast, however, I'll be able to see him more often since the distance will be less. But regardless, we're planning on closing the distance after I graduate college.

I'd say if you really want to be there when he graduates then try saving for it from now, you have time so it's doable . I know 3 days isn't an awful lot for that amount of money but if it means you'll see him and spend some time with him then it may just be worth it.

Hoping it all works out, it can be hard when those around you don't support you but I'm sure they're happy as long as you're happy. It's also good that you have a plan on when you want to close the distance, gives you both something to work towards and look forward to .

Comment

I'd say if you really want to be there when he graduates then try saving for it from now, you have time so it's doable . I know 3 days isn't an awful lot for that amount of money but if it means you'll see him and spend some time with him then it may just be worth it.

Hoping it all works out, it can be hard when those around you don't support you but I'm sure they're happy as long as you're happy. It's also good that you have a plan on when you want to close the distance, gives you both something to work towards and look forward to .

Comment

It really does!!! I'm trying to save up for a car, so plane tickets aren't really a priority. I love him and I want to see him, but if there's a chance he'll be close by, I'd rather have a car. Where in New York do you normally visit??

XXX XXX

Comment

Apologies for the double post .

I hear you.

It depends, last time I was there we stayed in Brooklyn as there were a few of us so we rented an apartment but we usually visit quite a few places. Of course we spent a lot of time in Manhattan, Soho etc, went to Woodbury for the first time (just outside of NY I think). This time around I want to try and visit New Jersey since I've never been before.

Comment

Apologies for the double post .

I hear you.

It depends, last time I was there we stayed in Brooklyn as there were a few of us so we rented an apartment but we usually visit quite a few places. Of course we spent a lot of time in Manhattan, Soho etc, went to Woodbury for the first time (just outside of NY I think). This time around I want to try and visit New Jersey since I've never been before.
                              That's ok! I've only been to Brooklyn once, and I LOVE Manhattan! Where in New Jersey are you thinking about???

XXX XXX

Comment

Working...
                              X