Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So excited to have found this forum!!

Hello! Hello!

To repeat my title, I was so excited to have stumbled on this forum from my "Long Distance Relationship Advice" search on Pinterest. I met my SO in 2009 when I was studying abroad in London. The girls and I were all out for a night on the town and ended up in this kind of dumpy little bar. And of course with 15 American college students, the party starts wherever we are! So we ended up making our own little club of this place and--long night made short--this tall, dark, and handsome man caught my eye. Luckily for us, I didn't have a phone number to give him so he got my e-mail, and that's what made it possible to keep in touch when I left a couple weeks and three dates later.

We e-mailed and and Skype-texted nearly every day. It was never very serious talk, but I looked forward to hearing from him everyday and was honestly a little devastated if I went for a while without hearing from him--though I never said anything. So that's why I'm appreciative for the time and distance between us because I know I at least had time to do more growing in myself.

My confusion over our non-relationship (though I knew deep down I had strong feelings for him) came to a head when I found out I would be going to Eastern Europe to teach for a year. I mustered the courage to ask him outright if he thought we would see each other while I was over there and told him it would mean something to me if we did and mean something if we didn't; and if he didn't think meeting up would be a good idea, then we'd have to stop talking altogether. His reply was vague--clearly leaving room for me to do the deciding, but it wasn't what I wanted to hear of course. So we stopped talking for a while until he reached out again. And after some time I felt more comfortable just being semi-intimate pen-pals.

After I got overseas and started teaching, we ended up texting, e-texting and eventually video chatting nearly every day. And toward spring I had some time away from classes and no set plans. I asked if he'd like me to come visit him and it happened. He was still in London and we had an incredible and easy-going week. Once I got back he wanted to make plans to visit me and we had another great week. A couple months later I stayed with him a few more stretches of time. He started introducing me to some of his friends and in hindsight I realized how serious our feelings were. And then they were vocalized.

Parting was hard, and we've been apart for about a year and a half, but we talk nearly every day in some form and feel so much love and passion and respect for him. Our plans to see each other aren't set--he's still working toward his half of a ticket, and I'm still saving time off--and the uncertainty of When and Where are the most frustrating parts. But I've already shared some cool things I've found on this site and I'm excited to find ways to keep us feeling close and connected despite the distance between us!
    1st, 2nd, & 3rd Dates: Nov. 2009
    Separation/Online "Friendship": Dec. 2009 - Feb. 2012
    1st Visit: March 2012
    2nd Visit: May 2012
    3rd Visit: July 2012
    First I love yous: August 2012
    Next Visit: Hopefully this winter!

Welcome to the forum!!! *big hugs*

~

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Oh my gosh, I totally understand your frustration with no knowing when you'll see each other next. That's what has been bothering me most--Not knowing.

I wish you guys the best of luck with everything!

Pax,
        Bex

Comment

You haven't seen each other in 1.5 year? Wow, respect for getting through that!
          I really hope you can set a date soon, you need your man!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Welcome to the LFAD community
              Met Online: February 2009
              Feelings grew: January 2011
              First met in person: 4 April - 16 April 2011
              Officially together since: 4th of April 2011
              Second visit: 29 June - 1 August 2011
              Third visit: 28 September - 15 October 2011
              Fourth visit: 19 January - 25 February 2012
              Fifth visit: 24 March - 12 April 2012