Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from The Netherlands!

Hey everybody!

As I am dating the most wonderful guy I've met since a few months, but we live about 3500 miles apart, I thought maybe here I would get some nice advice, so here is my introduction We met during an exchange study program last semester (from January until May) in the UK and walked circles around each other for ages. It turned out we both thought it would not be convenient to fall in love. He is from the US and I'm from the Netherlands, and on top of that I study Dutch law (which has a very different law system than the US).
    Nevertheless, we eventually couldn't ignore each other anymore and we started dating at the end of our stay. Already in August he came to visit me and my parents love him! Although they don't want me to leave home. In December I will go there for 2 weeks and meet him and his parents

I guess the main thing I worry about is our career (opportunities). For me being a Dutch law student, it would be very hard to get a job anywhere in the US I think. Maybe I could try an acadamic career, but I'm not sure whether they are interested in taking in a civil-law-lawyer for PhD's. Familiar for anyone? At the end of this year I will be done with law school by the way.
    About him, he's still not sure if he wants to do a grad school in philosophy or law. In case he's going to do law, he will have to stay somewhere there for 3 years in any case and will have the same career difficulty if he would want a job in Europe afterwards. But the philosophy studies in the Netherlands seem to be not in his specific interest. But that's for later I think!

Not sure if this forum is only for introductions (in which case, hi!), and otherwise I would like to know if there are other civil-law lawyers who know what kind of jobs you can get in the US?

Greetings from the land of tulips,

Flo

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Welcome to the community!

I'm in a reverse LDR of yours; I'm in the US and he's in NL!

Have fun exploring the forums! I'm always here if you need help.

Comment

Welcome to he forum.
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi from another part of the Netherlands
          "If you say you can't, you just don't want to"

Comment

Another Dutchie! There's quite a few of us here Welcome to LFAD

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome, welcome!

Comment

Welcome!
                  Another dutchie makes me happy c:
                  You used to be much more..."muchier." You've lost your muchness

Comment

Thanks everyone! I got 2 exams coming up this week, but afterwards I'll look forward to read more of your stories

Comment

Welcome to LFAD.

Comment

Working...
                      X