Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello! I come from Hong Kong originally.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! I come from Hong Kong originally.

Hello members! I just discovered this community and was impressed by people's participation in supporting each other to make it through LDR so I wanted to join I was once in an international LDR as I am from Hong Kong and he is from the States. We made it though after years and years of being dreamers, believers and planners. 5 years ago he made me feel like the luckiest girl by getting a job in my homeland and living with me. We even had wedding receptions in both sides of the world. One year ago I agreed to move to his country and wanted to raise a family soon. Here I am now starting my new life but missing my old days with him in Hong Kong. Any couples here similar to us, you got to live in both sides but after a while you both don't feel totally belonged? Like he is home now and misses Hong Kong and I know when I go back to Hong Kong to visit I will feel different. We are still trying to work together on fitting in. Anyway, I am glad to be a member here and read real stories that I can mostly relate and would like to give my best advice sometimes too

Welcome! Thanks for joining. ^_^ -Lori

Comment

Hi there! Welcome to LFAD What a sweet story. Like you, I'm also the one who has to move to the other country. I'm gonna move in a year though, so I'm not sure how that's gonna be for me. But I think I'd also feel weird to visit my home country.. It just takes time to make the US your new home. I'm sure you'll fit in though!

Comment

Hi welcome!
        My SO is from Japan, and I'll be the one moving to Japan next year.
        I hope you'll get a better sense of belonging in the states soon.

Comment

Welcome!! I wish the best of luck in the states, it's a beautiful country!

Comment

Welcome. My SO is from Hong Kong. We have never lived in each other's countries for extended periods but I spent three months in HK this summer and can relate to how you feel. It feels like a part of me is in both places, I always miss the other place and feel different when coming back, as if I have changed but the place hasn't.

Comment

Hi all and thanks for your kind words! Yes, fitting in takes some time. I do feel blessed to have opportunities to have him in my country and now doing what he did for me. I have been learning things I used not to care like driving and baking. He actually is my driving instructor! I felt unsure going to a driving school as an adult Fingers crossed we will pass this mission of getting me to pass my driving test!
              Last edited by 7806miles; November 2, 2013, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by roosie View Post
                Welcome. My SO is from Hong Kong. We have never lived in each other's countries for extended periods but I spent three months in HK this summer and can relate to how you feel. It feels like a part of me is in both places, I always miss the other place and feel different when coming back, as if I have changed but the place hasn't.
                Wow, so excited to know you like making a Hong Kong friend in my living area. It's so rare! Did you enjoy your stay in Hong Kong? If you like children and are interested in teaching you may consider being a NET (native English teacher) in HK for a year or two. That was actually how my husband got a job there after we were engaged and wanted to live together. I was a teacher too and had just graduated from college so leaving HK was nearly impossible for me then.

Comment

Originally posted by milaya View Post
                  Hi welcome!
                  My SO is from Japan, and I'll be the one moving to Japan next year.
                  I hope you'll get a better sense of belonging in the states soon.
                  Thank you! You two look so cute and sweet. So excited for you moving to Japan next year! I like Japanese culture and manners

Comment

Working...
                  X