A wild lurker appears....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wild lurker appears....

Ok so I haven't really been lurking that long, but I do wish I had found this forum earlier.

I'm Kate, and I've been missing my Matt for almost 2 years. It's not been the most straightforward of relationships (we still aren't official, but tentative negotiations are in order... lol) but no one else can captivate me like he can, so I've resigned myself to the LDR. There are a lot of things I'd like advice on, but I think instead of clouding up my intro with that I will make a separate thread. Instead, I'll toss up a few of the positive things about us....

About him!
    He's a couple or three (I never remember) years older than me... still going to school part time since he has been supporting himself for a while. He's pretty smart and it sometimes frustrates me that he lets himself get stuck in crappy second and third shift jobs, but if it makes him happy that's what matters. He's a night owl anyway. He loves to invent new ways to do things, learn new talents... I never know what he's going to be doing, and I love it. He sails... he got me started in poi... he's hilarious and absolutely gorgeous. I really want to put up a picture of him but I think he would be embarrassed if he knew I was showing him off. He takes a very laid-back approach to just about everything and I think if he knew I was asking for advice he would say I was silly.

About me!
    I'm a complete worry wart. I'm 22 and about to finish an undergrad biology major and go into field ornithology. I love to travel and try new things without being told how.... it's how I learned to be a pretty decent seamstress and make jewelry and knit and whatever else. I don't shy away from things just because I don't know how. I dive in and BS it until I learn what I'm doing via trial and error. I'm sort of into the electronic music scene... I don't like to do it nearly as much without Matt since there tends to be so much emotion and excitement involved.... It just seems strange and silly with anyone else. I'm a total science nerd... I'm completely in love with biology.

About us! (Good things only, or at least mostly)
    We met when I was a senior in high school in Florida, oh so many years ago and I was dating someone at the time so I didn't even give Matt a second thought. In fact, I got him and his friend and coworker Steve confused for the first few days. I got to be good friends with both of them, and then I moved to Michigan for college. Steve and I kept in touch and eventually got engaged.... I moved back down to FL to live with him and that failed miserably. Matt was one of the people who was there to help me pick myself back up after I thought my life was over. He made me a few wonderful dinners without dishonorable intentions, but I started to have feelings for him. We had a sort of 'thing' going but his friends were furious because I was Steve's ex so we kept it quiet. I was worried my feelings for him were just a rebound from Steve, so when I moved back to Michigan we agreed to not make anything official, and see where things led. I started a relationship with someone a few months later and it was nothing but awful. I still missed Matt so much that I had trouble staying loyal to the new guy. Eventually I gave up and called it off. I've had other offers from admirers but no one can compare to him. Even if I try going on a date I just think how I wish certain things were different.... and then I realize I'm wishing for things about Matt.
    So a few months ago I told him I loved him and I wanted to try to take us more seriously. He came up to visit me for the first time in 2 years. It was a little weird since I wasn't sure he would feel the same (or even if I would) once we saw each other. It was amazing.... I was still a little guarded emotionally and I wish I hadn't been, because all I can think about since then is wanting to see him again. We've been talking about starting a real, official relationship but he is scared, especially of something so far away. We've both had bad experiences so I don't blame him for being commitment-phobic. Trying to be with him has taught me a lot of patience and given me the ability to relax about some things and not be so serious all the time. I used to be very suspicious and jealous of female friends, but that doesn't work with him. Either I have to trust him or I don't, because forbidding him a social life is entirely unfair. I still don't get to talk to him as much as I would like, but just knowing he is there and that he loves me is enough to make me smile.

/end novel. whoa.

Quite an introduction! Welcome to the forums. And hey - I'm a nervous nelly too. If you ever need help planning crap out (because it's oddly soothing, lol!) lemme know.
    Last edited by Silviar; August 25, 2010, 03:29 PM. Reason: typoe, nooo!

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Welcome

Comment

Welcome to LFAD! =)
        This little girl's heart is California bound.

Comment

Wow, that's quite a lot you two have been through!
          Welcome to LFAD! Hope you find a lot of support here =]

Comment

That's quite a story! Welcome.

Comment

Welcome to the forums!

Comment

Welcome make yourself at home

Comment

Great story! Welcome to LFAD!
                  First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's quite an introduction! Welcome to LFAD, you'll find lots of support and friends on here

Comment

Oh man, I am a worry wart also! Welcome to the forums.

Comment

Glad you came out of lurkdom! Welcome to LFAD

Comment

It's been a really long time, sorry! He just left a few days ago... He came up and we spent a few days together in Detroit. I hadn't seen him since June... it was something I really needed. I'll see him again before too long, but now I miss him even more than before.

Good news though! He made me something... An aluminum anklet. I'm really into field ornithology (and we're both varying degrees of BDSM-minded) so he made it similar to a serial band like we put on birds... It has his initials and 2010 (for the year we officially started dating). It's sort of a personal variation on collaring. We decided it should be permanent, so he glued it shut with JB Weld metal epoxy. I think it's absolutely beautiful and it's something I'll always have with me that makes me think of him. I can't wait til it gets warmer so I can wear skirts and stuff to show it off!

Anyway, maybe it's a little weird, but it fits the way we are perfectly and I couldn't be happier with it.

/end bragging. <3

Comment

Working...
                          X