Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What started with a glitch turned out to be so much more than we expected!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What started with a glitch turned out to be so much more than we expected!

Hi there, my name is Jake, and my girlfriend's name is Jess. I was 17 and she was 16 at the time of meeting online. I live in Perth, Australia and she lives in Arizona, USA.

I first heard about this website almost four years ago, and since I'm in an LDR, I decided to join and tell others about the wonderful relationship that all started with a glitch.

On the 11th of May last year, I was on a game called Zwinky (which I joined in 2010), and saw a girl with a username that I had seen so many times before, and decided to view her profile. I saw photos of this girl who I had never spoken to (or so I thought..turns out we spoke very briefly two years prior!), and all I thought to myself was *Wow, this girl is beautiful* so I then left her a note complimenting her..not thinking anything of it. Well, she then viewed my profile (didn't respond because I had no photos) and at the time my outfit was a weird clown because of someone causing a bug that changed your outfit when you viewed the profile of someone who had that outfit..sort of like a virus..and since she viewed my profile it caused her outfit to change. This girl decided to message me asking if I had changed her outfit..I didn't want to cause an issue, and since I didn't do it I just told her "Nah, I actually have no idea who caused it" then we figured out a way to fix it and started talking more and more. I learned that her name was Jess and she then gave me her Yahoo ID as she had to go, and wanted to keep in contact with me (so glad she decided to). Shortly after talking on Yahoo I sent a picture of me which I was surprised she liked!

From that day on we talked for hours and hours on Yahoo, then ended up talking on the phone through an app called Viber (An amazing app which is similar to Skype, with no issues at all!) and we spent about five hours talking! A few days after talking we wanted to Skype (we didn't know if the pictures each other sent were real, so we wanted to make sure before going any further!), so I bought a webcam a couple days later..and let me tell you my heart was beating a mile a minute I was so nervous..so was she! We started talking on Skype and found that she was who she said she was, and so was I (never once lied). At first she was a bit fidgety and didn't know what to say, so I just kept the conversation flowing as nervous as I was, and after a little while the nerves had gone away. After talking for a few hours she had to go to bed (it was probably 3am at the time), but not before saying how much she enjoyed talking to me, and so did I!

A couple of weeks had passed, and as I got to know her more and more, I realised I was falling hard for this beautiful girl with the most amazing personality. In the early hours of the morning I was messaging her and she randomly mentioned something along the lines of "if we dated", and I asked "if?" shortly after that I asked if she would like to be my girlfriend..as I had never met someone so amazing (even though it was online!), and thankfully she said yes! The months passed by and it wasn't long before we were talking about meeting in real life..but her mum didn't know about us..until her birthday. I decided to get a teddy bear that said "I love you" and roses delivered to her house..her mum was shocked by this. Jess ended up telling her mum about us and that night I Skyped with her for the first time..thankfully she was (and still is) so nice and not against what we were doing! After a month of getting to know her mum and her step dad, I asked if I could visit her, and she said yes! I worked quite a bit and booked flights the flights in November, for January 20th - Feb 14th (I had to be back in Australia the 17th, for college) ..and let me just say as the days went by the nerves were overwhelming..neither of us knew what would happen.

The day finally came, and as I landed in Phoenix, Arizona, my heart was beating a mile a minute. I walked to the gate exit and saw her and FINALLY, after eight months of being apart, got to meet this gorgeous girl..the most amazing person I have ever met, and the 24 days I spent with her were the best of my entire life. A few days after getting back to Australia I asked Jess' mum if I could come back to visit, and she has allowed me to..and I'll now be back with my sweetheart on the 31st of March! As I stated, I am in university and the degree I am doing involves 8 weeks out of the year on campus, and the rest of the year online..I chose this as it allows me to spend more time with Jess. Jess started an accounting degree mid January (yes, at 17; she graduated high school 2 years early) and is very goal oriented and on the same wavelength as myself, which I believe is something that makes this work so well.

To those who are apart from their SO..don't ever doubt the distance because I'm 9,667 miles away from my girlfriend, and we've made it work. Also, to anyone who's spent the time to read this long post..thank you!

-Jake

PS. I would post a video of our story but can't yet..will do when I reach the minimum amount of posts!
    Last edited by JakeH; February 24, 2014, 05:05 AM. Reason: Title error

Oh wow! I loved reading your story.
    And welcome!

Comment

Welcome! And what a cute story. I actually graduated from hs when I was 17 and started college a month before I turned 18. That's usually the normal timeline depending on what month your birthday falls on.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

I usually don't like to read long posts, but yours was great. What a sweet love story! Thanks for sharing. I'm jealous that you've spent so many days with your SO, but I'm also truly happy for you. How wonderful that you get to be with her again soon. Good luck.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD.

Comment

to the forum! Thanks for sharing your story, it's super sweet! I hope you'll like it here and best of luck with your upcoming visit.
              Our love story:
              Attended the same high school 2004-2007
              Dated CD: June 2009-July 2010
              Reconnected: August 2012
              Began dating LD: November 2012
              Engaged! March 2014
              Closing the distance: December 2015

Comment

Working...
              X