Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Louisiana & Poland

Hi.

I began corresponding with my girlfriend as online pen pals a year ago next month. We were sort of online acquaintances via email, and then we were friends, and then we were best friends, and now finally we are romantic partners. And we've just gotten started, don't know how we will ever "close the distance," but we are optimistic and staying positive.

We actually do more together and have a closer more fulfilling relationship than I've ever had with a short distance girlfriend. We are very happy, though it is hard to be apart physically.

I thought that I might find some ideas here about fun stuff to do and ways to be affectionate and nurturing over a distance. But also, if I can brag a bit, our relationship is awesome! It's the sort of thing that I would have thought only existed in really good writers' imaginations, you know? So . . . Maybe I can contribute some helpful information myself! Haha.

I'm looking forward to meeting some other long distance couples, and finding out what you do to make it work.
    Last edited by nonamesamuel; April 15, 2014, 12:22 AM.

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Welcome to the forum! you'll find it very helpful here I'm from Louisiana myself!

Comment

Hi there

Congrats on finding someone so special to fill that spot in your life. It's a wonderful feeling, even with the distance! I completely understand what you're talking about when you say it's like something from a book or movie. I often joke with my boyfriend that we are one of those obnoxiously happy couples that make some others grumble.

I was actually just in Louisiana for the first time this past weekend. My bf is Air Force and is attending training in Mississippi, and I flew into New Orleans. What a beautiful area down there!

As for things to do - are you geeky at all? My bf and I met playing a video game, and we do enjoy gaming together. That is an option if you enjoy that type of thing. We also Skype all the time, and even watch tv shows and movies together. I'm not sure about the time difference between you and your SO, but I'm sure you'll find ways to make it work Best wishes!

Comment

Thanks for the tips, Nerdgasm. We do a lot of those kinds of things. We would probably play more computer games if my computer weren't sort of crappy. And also we run into the problem surprisingly often of gaming websites not being available in both of our countries. She did find this cool website for playing Cards Against Humanity online.

Time difference is a challenge but also the only reason we don't keep each other up all night chatting - eventually one of us has to go to work and the other one can sleep. Haha.

Comment

Lol I hear you there with the staying up all night. The first week of my SO and I talking we got maybe 2 or 3 hours of sleep before our work days. It was a tough week, but well worth it! I think the beauty of meeting someone online or in a similar situation is that you are forced to communicate more than a traditional couple. We just kept sharing stories and laughing and discovering each other. We learned more about each other in a week than so many couples do in months. I'm actually pretty interested to know some statistics on LDR's...because obviously communication is so important in any relationship, and in my eyes is one of the biggest reasons why relationships don't work. There might be some sort of interesting study there in the works, hmmm maybe a project for school eventually. Anyways! I digress.

We're only an hour apart, and it might sound silly. But we Skype when we go to bed too. You don't see much - usually just the other person cocooned in some blankets, lol. But it's nice because we wake up for work at the same time, so I get to see him and tell him I love him before we go to work in the morning. It makes the day bearable.

The point is, as long as you're willing to try unconventional approaches to situations (which you obviously are since you're doing the LDR thing ) you'll be amazed at what you come up with

Comment

Welcome to LFAD forums

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!
                My SO is from Louisiana and I absolutely fell in love the first time I travelled there.
                [CENTER]

first met: ~10.03
                became official: 28.03.11
                first meeting: 08.06.12 - 24.06.12 (jason in vancouver)
                second meeting: 18.07.13 - 30.07.13 (jason in vancouver)
                our first vacation together: 30.07.13 - 20.08.13 (cynthia in new orleans)
                third meeting: 14.12.13 - 03.01.14 (cynthia in new orleans)
                fourth meeting: 21.05.14-02.06.14 (jason in vancouver)
                surprise! 13.08.14-27.08.14 (cynthia surprises jason in new orleans)
                viva las vegas: 21.12.14 - 24.12.14 (c+j vacation together in vegas!)
                jason's 1st canadian christmas: 24.12.14-02.01.15
                my first mardi gras: 12.02.15-20.02.15

Comment

Working...
                X