Hello Everyone!! 4 Years and counting in our LDR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Everyone!! 4 Years and counting in our LDR

Hello everyone!! My name is Teresa Larman Glem and I have been in a LDR now for almost 5 years; August 31st is our anniversary date.
    I am from the USA and my sweetheart lives in England. We met long ago while playing an online game. This started out as just game friends
    playing almost every day. As time when by we started asking questions through game chat like...Where are you from? How old are you? and so
    on. When I found out he was from the UK I was like very excited becasue I always loved that country and Ireland too. I have always
    dreamed of being able to go there. It started out as just an online friendship through the game but moved on to Facebook becoming real friends.

One day on the game I asked if it would be ok to call, really wishing to hear his voice. He said "yes" I was like "really!!!" so he typed out his #
    and I called him when he told me to. I remember it as if it were yesterday. I was soooo nervous. When I dialed the # I was not sure what to
    expect. Then he answered. He said his name and I was like...OMG..his voice..I was so taken by his British accent. LOVED IT!!! I will have to say
    I was hooked at that moment. I asked if I could call again some time or if he could call me and he said..Deffo yes.

This went of for weeks, which turned into mouths. We kept playing our game online too. We still play to this day, over 4 years later for fun and to
    hang out. He even has made friends with my boys on the game which was the whole reason why I even started to play. I always thank my youngest
    for begging mom to play for if it was not for him I would have NEVER meet the man of my dreams.

That was as of today..4years 9months 2weeks 5days ago. Now we are in a very serious relationship and even have plans to marry someday. I have even
    gone as far as using his last name along with my ex-last name on things like Facebook and e-mail. We won't be able to marry for at least 2 years so I asked
    my partner if I may legally change my last name to his, more as my way to feel a part of him..like being married and he said if I wished to have his Sir name
    then yes that would be fine. So I am putting in a legal name change very excited to have his last name

I just got back last month on May 17th from spending time with him in the UK. It was the best time of my life. We had a very wonderful time together. Our
    first time meeting in person was last year in June 2013. We really knew that first time meeting that we were the right ones for each other. It's so hard to
    be apart now that I have been with him a second time. We both really miss each other every single day but we do webcam and calls daily. I can't wait
    until the day comes when the distance will be closed for good when I can join him in the UK some day when the time is right.
    Last edited by TGLarman; June 19, 2014, 05:16 AM.
    sigpic

Hello and welcome to LFAD Our anniversary is on August 30th, but it is gonna be 3 years

Comment

Hi, welcome to the Forum a sweet story about the name, it is nice to have something of the other. Our aniversary is in September, then we have been together a year.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

That's great! A year may not seem like a long time but when I think back to my first year I remember that is where the real test begins. Getting through that first year and still going is a BIG step I feel. Every year that goes by where you and your partner are still going strong makes it more likely you will succeed. Be strong and hang in there!! I wish you the very best of luck. My motto is..the distance is the glue that makes the bond more stronger. Sometimes distance is better I think, becasue it makes the couple forced to be apart and really get to know each other. When there is no distance, people sometimes rush into a relationship too fast.
        Last edited by TGLarman; June 20, 2014, 07:25 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks jana89 I wish the best for you in your LDR. Be strong!!
          Last edited by TGLarman; June 20, 2014, 07:26 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

What a cute story! That's so awesome that you've been together so long! Stories like yours definitely help others who are just starting their LDRs like me.

Remembering those sweet little moments like hearing his voice for the time, and finally getting to hold him help me get through the rough times.

That's really cool that you were in the UK in May because I was there too! How long were you there for?

It's awesome that you're making plans to close the distance. What made you decide on moving to the UK versus him moving to the US?

"I'll hold you in my heart til I can hold you in my arms."

Met Online: January 5th 2014
            Started dating: January 19th 2014
            My visit to Scotland: May 10th-14th 2014
            His visit to the US: November 2014

Comment

I came to the UK actually in March 16th and stayed until May 17th. I guess you can say in a way I have 2 LDR's going. Yea that's right..relationships are not just limited I feel to just a couple in love.
              I met this older gentleman online who lives in the UK over a year ago. He just turned 70 the other day. He is the most sweetest old man, very kind full of love. On the down side he is dietetic, has asthma
              and is having a hard time walking and doing around the house. He had one of his sons living with him but he moved out leaving his father alone with his 2 cats. He is very lonely and scared to be alone.
              He goes on Facebook and reaches out to people and just loves to share good stories, nice quotes and loves to take walks when he feels he can make it out. He loves trains and goes on many train rides.
              His passion is taking pictures, he takes his camera everywhere.

Well I started chatting to him and I really cant remember how we crossed paths on Facebook but needless to say we started to chat. I would usually try to chat with him every day and I know he was
              no harm. just a lonely old man. After months went by and he had a bad wrist lots of pain, he asked if we could just start Skype becasue the pain was too much to type out on his keyboard.
              I said ok we can try. Well it real did work out and I could see he was being effected by typing and talking seemed more personal and he could get out more that way. Well we cam on Skype almost
              every day. We have lots of laughs and I he has told me that since I have given him the time of day to care to come on and have these moments he his life has been so much more happy.

As time went by we got to open up more about our own lives. I told him about my sweetheart in the UK and that kind of became one of the topics of our chat. I got to the point where I really kind of
              liked the ole fart and he had a taken to me too but in a kind of daughter/father bond. I even listed him as Step dad or father on FB. One day as time neared for me to make plans to come to the UK
              to see my guy, I kind of got this brilliant idea that why not make it to LDR meetings in on trip? Girlfriend/Boyfriend....Daughter/Father. I had told my guy about my new friend, never to hide anything
              from my sweetheart in Cornwall UK. I told him that maybe it would be good to stop and see him too if he was ok with it. He said yes of course. I told him a good relationship should be on strong trust
              that I was not to do anything wrong....besides this man was way old anyway and has NEVER treated me disrespectful. Besides I could us a bit of a break from all the stress at home and also give me
              a taste of real life in the UK.

Originally I was to fly over in May and spend just a week with my partner. However, checking on airfares during that time they were sky high. I saw that coming in March the flights were like $500-800
              less then if I waited and went in May. This really gave me good reason to go early and spend time with my "like Dad". I asked how he felt about me staying for a couple of months but making my way
              down to Cornwall when my guy was off on holiday? He said he would be honored to have me and stay and it would be great to finally meet each other with that same excitement as any LDR meeting
              for the first time. Well as I said a relationship can really be more then just lovers. It could be father/daughter...brother/sister bonds.

So plans were then made for me to fly to Manchester UK to stay with my father figure and then take a bus/train to Cornwall when his holiday came. What was great about this was that not only did I
              get to spend time with my partner once but twice This would have never happened had I not had a place to stay for 2 months. Meeting the older man was a real treat, he was a great host and a
              good "DAD" he drove me around to see the sites and so much plus I had loads of time to venture out on my own going for walks into town. He kept me there at no expense becasue I cooked, cleaned
              and just very good company for him and his 2 cats who both seem to take to me too.

I love the UK and Ireland both. I have records that go back 5 generations of direct dissidents to Ireland. It has always been a dream to go to what I feel is so much a part of me. I feel very connected
              not only to Ireland but the UK and England. I really love the way of life in Cornwall "Cornish" When I came back to the states I felt very homesick. Almost lost in my own country. If it was not for
              my 3 kids that I need to be mom to I would have stayed if I could but Visa requirements I dont feel will let me becasue technicality I am still married but separated for 3 years now. Yes the boys
              dad is fully aware of my LDR he was the one to stay with my kids bonding while I was away. Besides my children, I really have nothing to keep me in the USA. I love my home country but to me
              my birth country is just that. I feel your home is what you make of it. Where you feel you belong at any given time in your life. Home is where your heart is and my heart feels like it belongs in the UK.

Well that was really long I know but this is why I love to do blogs on here becasue it allows me to get my story out to an audience that understands me, or by sharing might just be able to help others
              in LDR's or even get input.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X