No announcement yet.

Hiya :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi and welcome to the forum! It's awesome ya'll have gotten to meet so early! Best of luck to the two of you, and I hope you find the advice and support you need here!

Comment

Originally posted by MyHeartsInScotland View Post
      Yikes! Sorry for writing a book!
      Haha! This is great! I write a lot too and he gives me a lot of heck for it lol but I think he secretly enjoys it

We've known each other now about a year and a half. Met on Facebook and he's not been able to shake me yet I haven't put anything official on here as far as timelines and such because it's just been really recently that he's started to take the idea of pursuing a relationship seriously. I'm not ready to jinx anything by putting it in writing yet lol We've always got on so well, but he was really nervous about the distance and obstacles that we absolutely will encounter along the way. We actually didn't have a proper conversation until about two months ago. I finally wore him down and he said I could call xD I've been able to Skype with him a handful of times because his access to internet is a little spotty at the moment. This is why the nervousness is still such a prevalent issue hahaha

I'm constantly reminding myself that he already knows I'm a dork so if I say something completely nerdy it's no big surprise to either of us, which actually works out well because he's the biggest geek I've ever met lol

I will absolutely pass on the England stuff when I finally make it over. I would love to go see Scotland/Ireland. I have a LD friend who wants to do both of those, but she's not wild about England, and I told her there's no way I'm going over there without seeing him lol I'm not a big tea drinker, I'm more of a coffee person, but he swears he'll convert me by the time he's done with me. He definitely likes his tea.

I have a filthy mouth anyway, but he's got me beat lol he'll feed me words from time to time and I'll go look them up and omg!! Hahahaha!! I have several friends on my Facebook who are Scottish. I'm familiar with "bawbag" amongst others it took me a while before I really paid attention to, and figured out, what the "f" word they were spelling was with an "e" in the middle lol They really do have a wide vocabulary to pull from!

I remember one night he was showing me what cockney was and it had me in stitches because I'd never really heard anything like it and really couldn't understand what "apples and pears" had to do with stairs. It does still crack me up a bit when he uses versions of "proper" lol I've been talking to him so long now, it's not that I don't hear it as much anymore, as every time I hear him say things like that it just makes me feel like I’m wrapped up in a warm blanket

Who knows if they'd get along or not… the Englishman gets along with pretty much anyone. He was telling me one night that they all tease and tolerate each other fairly well, but then again, he's got a British perspective on things He has told me he's very frustrated with England, at the moment. I think he'd like to get out of there for a time to get some perspective. I also did see that Scotland is filing for its independence, or something similar, at least. I do know they're constantly trying to find a happy balance there. Knowing him has made me realize how much we grew up in isolation in the states. I feel very ill informed so I’ve tried to stay up with current events there. It’s become so very important to me. Like a way of being there, I guess it doesn’t stop him from teasing me though when my narrow-minded American ways come out hahaha

Regarding the accents, little does he know I've been listening to him. I test out words here and there as I hear him speak more. One day I'm just going to bust out and start doing his accent to see what he says lol I think it would be great fun! I don't know why I didn't even think about it, but have you heard of the book series "Outlander"? I don't know if you're a reader or what kind of stuff you like, but Diana Gabaldon has a series of books about an Englishwoman, a "Sassenach," or “Outlander,” who gets sucked back in time to 18th century Scotland. She meets up with a Scot and they go on eight massive books worth of adventures. The first few have some Scottish history in there I thought was fascinating. If you're not a reader, it's coming out as a television series on Starz this coming August. I am seriously stoked. Probably moreso than I am about Game of Thrones lol I did have to stop reading at one point because my head was starting to hurt with trying to do the Scottish accent in my head hahaha

The trip, and the timing, sounds amazing That would be awesome to have him there with you around your birthday my SO was so very confused by the idea of Thanksgiving Does yours have to go through the interview process to get his passport? In England he had to go through this, show up for an interview and answer a few random questions to prove he’s a British citizen lol he was so very irked about it, but happy to get the passport in hand.

I’m in Arizona, and we don’t do daylight saving so right now he’s 8 hours difference and he’s early to bed, which means he’s usually gone by about 1 or 2pm my time haha I know exactly what you mean about trying to catch him before he crashes out hahaha

I’m so very glad that you’ve come to this website! I’ve really found the people here to be very supportive and from such a variety of backgrounds and experience that the knowledge here is absolutely brimming. I truly look forward to getting to know you There’s a lot of hope here for what sometimes seems to be such impossible circumstances. I am also very happy that you found your man it really makes such a difference in things to have someone there you care about, who cares about you in return
      Last edited by merlinkitty; June 20, 2014, 08:43 PM.
      "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
        Europe is a great place, isn't it?

Comment

Welcome to the forum! It's so cool that you have had the opportunity to meet each other. Four years, and my honey and I haven't met yet offline, other than Skype video, which is pretty real.

I've been giggling reading about the accent, the slang, the driving, etc., because I get the same thing with my Aussie guy! He's taught me some of his slang, and he surprised me with his cussing, which he doesn't do much, but it cracks me up when he bursts out with a Bloody Hell! LOL And I have picked up his accent, too. One day I was talking to my 14 year old grandson, and he laughed and said, Mema, you're talking with an Australian accent! It had just slipped out.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

Originally posted by RachelAnne View Post
            Hi and welcome to the forum! It's awesome ya'll have gotten to meet so early! Best of luck to the two of you, and I hope you find the advice and support you need here!
            Thank you RachelAnne! We definitely got lucky with me having my trip to Ireland booked already. Good luck to you and your sweetie too! Hope you can see each other soon!

Originally posted by merlinkitty View Post
            Haha! This is great! I write a lot too and he gives me a lot of heck for it lol but I think he secretly enjoys it
            Wrote ya back in a PM merlinkitty!

Originally posted by emsimes View Post
            Welcome to the forum!
            Europe is a great place, isn't it?
            Thank you emsimes! Europe is ah-mazing! Have you gotten to travel there much?

Originally posted by AussieAmericanGirl66 View Post
            Welcome to the forum! It's so cool that you have had the opportunity to meet each other. Four years, and my honey and I haven't met yet offline, other than Skype video, which is pretty real.

I've been giggling reading about the accent, the slang, the driving, etc., because I get the same thing with my Aussie guy! He's taught me some of his slang, and he surprised me with his cussing, which he doesn't do much, but it cracks me up when he bursts out with a Bloody Hell! LOL And I have picked up his accent, too. One day I was talking to my 14 year old grandson, and he laughed and said, Mema, you're talking with an Australian accent! It had just slipped out.
            Thanks AussieAmericanGirl! It was a dream come true being him in person. Woah, four years?! That's incredible! Congrats! Oh skype does a wonderful job, and is as close as you can get to being truly with them. Haha I totally agree with you! I find the differences really interesting, and I think one of the best things about being in a relationship with a person with another nationality is learning about the cultural differences. It's amazing that there are so many differences, especially the language. Even though they speak English, doesn't sound like they do half the time haha. Oh I crack up when he starts cursing up a storm. Heaven forbidden if he gets truly mad at me because I'll just bust up laughing! No way, you've picked up his accent? It's taking me awhile to pick up Scottish. That's so funny that you're grandson called you out on it! How did you two meet?

"I'll hold you in my heart til I can hold you in my arms."

Met Online: January 5th 2014
            Started dating: January 19th 2014
            My visit to Scotland: May 10th-14th 2014
            His visit to the US: November 2014

Comment

Like so many others, we met on Facebook, on a forum we were both regular participants in. He started flirting with me, when, during Retro-week on Facebook, I put up a profile pic of me as a young woman back in the 60's, wearing a miniskirt. He always says it's my legs that got him. Well, I'm a bit of a geek, and like to fool around with program apps and softwares, and the group needed a countdown clock for an event, so I found a site and downloaded the program for it, and he commented, Not just a pretty face, but smart, too. Then he friended me on Facebook, and we started chatting constantly. In the meantime, we found each other on a game we liked too, and that added to the fun. Eventually, we started texting, sexting, mobile phone calls, and Twitter, Yahoo Messenger, and finally Skype. We've had a lot of obstacles, but have been virtually inseparable since the beginning. Now we are finally starting to get serious about meeting, hopefully after he retires, which should be sometime next year.

I know what you mean about the differences being interesting. I find the cultural differences fascinating, and fun. I love his accent, although the first few times he called me I had trouble understanding him, even though we both speak English, it is definitely different from American English. And he made me into a sport nut, which is something I never imagined happening. He introduced me to World Cup Soccer, in 2010, soon after we met. So this year is a bit of an anniversary for us, in that respect. We have fun with it, waking each other up on chat on game day for our teams, watching together when we can, him on TV, and me on ESPN3 Streaming online, and chatting on Facebook, or Skyping, which is better, because we can cheer together, or moan and groan if our team is doing badly. For some of the games, he is at work, so I have been watching, and taking photos and sending them to our inbox, via Messenger. He also introduced me to AFL (Aussie Rules Football), which is much different than American football. And I even eat Vegemite, which is as Australian as you can get. He calls me his Aussie American Girl. I found a local business that specializes in Everything Australian (which is actually the name of the business) and got a set of flags, US and Aussie, and have them set up on my computer desk. And on my laptop I have one of the stickers (which you can buy from LFAD, and personalize with the country's name) which says My <3 is in Australia.
              Last edited by AussieAmericanGirl66; June 21, 2014, 04:49 PM.

TWO HEARTS BEATING AS ONE, LOVE BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN...

Nothing Can Keep Us Apart, Safe In Each Other's Heart

Comment

Originally posted by AussieAmericanGirl66 View Post
                Like so many others, we met on Facebook, on a forum we were both regular participants in.
                Aww what a cute story! I love playing games with my SO. We both have a little competitive streak in us so we have lots of fun trying to beat one another. It also takes the pressure off of having to hold a conversation, and it's nice to to something together other than talk sometimes. I'm glad that you two were able to tackle the obstacles together, and I'm sure you've come out stronger for it! It's awesome that you have plans in the works to meet. Have you figured out who's visiting who?

Oh that's so funny that your SO made you into a sports nut! Mine has me avidly watching the World Cup now even though I didn't have a clue about any of the teams before it started haha. It's difficult not to be interested in things that they are passionate about and root along with them. Aww that's cute that this is sort of an anniversary for you two and that you keep each other updated on the games.

Wow, I agree Vegemite is as about as Aussie as you can get! I've tried it once, but didn't like it. I was told it was like peanut butter so I slathered it on my bread like I do with peanut butter. Bad decision. Apparently, you only need a little bit of it to get the flavor haha. Aww that's such a cute nickname! It's so cool that you have a shop that specializes in Australian goods! We have an international market nearby, but they are woefully understocked in Scottish things. I didn't know about the stickers. I'll have to look into them! Thank you!

"I'll hold you in my heart til I can hold you in my arms."

Met Online: January 5th 2014
                Started dating: January 19th 2014
                My visit to Scotland: May 10th-14th 2014
                His visit to the US: November 2014

Comment

Welcome to the community!!!

~

Comment

Originally posted by Sinopa View Post
                    Welcome to the community!!!
                    Thank you Sinopa!