Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hello! new member, a new LDR story

Hi all,

I just joined minutes ago, and hope to make friends in similar situations of having a long distance relationship. My bf and I met almost a year ago, as classmates in Chinese class. He's from Germany, and was an exchange student in my university. We did hang out a couple of times, always with other friends, and I was still in a relationship with another guy at this point. The next semester, I broke up with my then-boyfriend, and it was my turn to go for an exchange semester abroad. It had been planned before I got to know my current boyfriend, but I was lucky enough that it's only 50km away from where his university is. We hang out more, this time only the two of us, and took only a couple of months before we made it official. (I had to prod him a little to clarify our status, as he is really shy.)

I had the best three months of my life, and then I came to the end of my exchange semester. I just left Germany yesterday.

I did anticipate it to be hard, but it still took me by surprise, how hard it is to leave him. I kept breaking into tears the whole day, and today I'm still tearing. I'm staying in Oslo for a 2-day travel, and I had to pull myself together to actually go and sightsee and not waste my trip.

We agreed to keep in touch through FB messages and Skype calls, and occasional snail mails. He even plans on visiting me next year in March, after his graduation. I plan to find an internship in Germany from April to September next year, and then start my master's degree in October. Seven months LDR seems possible, and yet it seems so long.

He's really special to me. He accepts me with all my flaws, and I want to be strong for him. I really hope it will get easier with time, and maybe, having friends in similar circumstances will help.

Sorry for the super long post!! I'll go back to scouring the forum

Your post isn't super long, so don't worry there! =)
    Yes, it's hard to be away for so long, but atleast every day down is one less day into you see them again. You guys have a few visits planned? That's fantastic. Welcome to LFAD, may you find all the support you need here. Best wishes for your relationship, and stay positive! =)
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Welcome . It isn't always easy being away from your loved one, but you know the right person is worth the wait. Hang in there!

Comment

Welcome Congrats on finding someone so special to you.

I don't think it ever gets easier, I think we just adapt and learn to accept it with time, and we all have good days where the distance doesn't bother us so much and bad days where it bothers us a lot. At least that's how it has been for me

Comment

Thanks all. I'll probably linger around here quite a bit. It's only been two days since I left, but it had been painful. We're currently still in the same time zone, I'm still traveling for 2-3 more days before going back to Singapore, so we chat at night before bed, and it calms my heart. Waking up, however, I feel lonely again. I want to take care of myself for him, but it's not easy. I don't really have a choice, though, but to go on. I don't ever want to hurt him.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Thanks! Today I cried so much again in the morning, but decided to get up and do some things, and then I felt much better. We skyped for the first time tonight too, and it feels so...right. All of a sudden I don't get what I was worrying about, and everything becomes alright again

Comment

Working...
              X