Hello! Anglo-American Love :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! Anglo-American Love :)

Hi - Joining here to share with other people who are far away from their partners. I met my man last November when he was travelling in the UK, he is an old friend of one of my friends here originally from New Jersey. We hit it off straight away and kept in touch every day while he was travelling around Europe. I was with someone else at the time, but as soon as I met him I knew I had to change things. We made it clear how we felt about each other pretty much straight away.

He came back again in December and then again in February. I went over to the USA with my friend in April and spent time with him, but for now just as good friends.

In July I finally left my partner and now live alone, and spent 2 weeks with my new man in September, road tripping on the east coast of the USA. It was a perfect couple of weeks, we laughed non-stop, I met his family again and it left us with the question of what to do now. We are in love and want to be together - he wants me to move to the US, but visa-wise it seems pretty impossible without getting married. I would consider this in order to be with him but it is very soon to think about that, and such a huge step to relocate to the other side of the world. The whole process seems very complicated.

He plans to travel more in Europe and I will see him very soon I hope. We keep in touch daily by messenger and Skype but I miss him terribly. I would love to hear other people's experiences and thoughts on LDRs and if anyone has overcome the visa problem.
    sigpic

Hi and welcome to LFAD

I am sure you will figure out more about your options, there are several other England-US-couples here
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Unless you happen to be a doctor or some sort of STEM worker, you're unfortunately probably right on visas. It's difficult to get one, and outside of technical and specialty fields where a company can show that they have a good reason to hire a foreigner and couldn't get an American, it's pretty impossible.

Except via marriage, as you mention. That's still a little bit of a finicky process, but probably your best bet.

I know it seems like a big distance, but depending on where your partner lives, England to the east coast isn't really that far in this day and age. I live in Massachusetts and I can get to London in about 6 hours for around $700.
      While that's not nothing, having even a reasonable job and some basic budgeting can usually make it pretty affordable. (Much more so than the $1500 and 24+ hours it takes for me to get to NZ, where my SO lives!)

I think you'd also find less culture shock than you might expect going from England to east coast, again depending on where on the coast. Many of the differences I found when I moved to the UK for awhile were little differences, which made them fun and interesting to me more than homesick-y. Big similarities like knowing the language and having a lot of similar attitudes made things pretty smooth.

Comment

Hi there,

I am another UK/US person, and you are right about the VISA's, to go either way marriage is pretty much the only option available to relocate, although you can go for 90days per visit under the Visa Waiver program - but you cannot work while visiting. (or more specifically get paid by a US company/person while you are there)

So if you have the money, you can visit for 3 months, return home to the UK for 3-4 months and visit again should you wish to do so. The longer the trip, the more questions asked at the border from what I can see, and also if you run too many back to back they may refuse entry all together.

I am in the same boat though, having just returned from the trip to see what our next steps were going to be, we both agreed that marriage was too soon, but that we did want to be together and we would be prepared to marry at some point in the future in order for us to close the distance. Not that we plan to marry just so I can move there, but if we don't we know it will be almost impossible for it to happen. Odd having the conversation very early on in the relationship, even tho we have known each other for 3 years before we got involved together!

Silvermoonfairy - i have no idea how you get to London in 6 hours - that has to be the bare minimum flight time only.....

It takes me 20-22hrs to get from my house to my GF's in upstate NY, once i factor in travel my side, arrival before the flight at the airport, 2 flights, and a drive back to hers! Although I might have found a slightly faster route going via Canada, but that is not ideal in winter lol - nor does it us the carrier/airline group I build up points with!

Comment

Originally posted by p_b82 View Post
          Silvermoonfairy - i have no idea how you get to London in 6 hours - that has to be the bare minimum flight time only...
          It's probably more like 6hrs and 20 minutes or so, but yeah, direct flight from Boston to London. I think generally when people talk about how long it takes to get somewhere overseas, they don't include waiting around at the airport, etc.

Comment

Hello and welcome,I hope you enjoy it here.

Comment

Hello, welcome

Comment

Originally posted by silvermoonfairy3 View Post
                It's probably more like 6hrs and 20 minutes or so, but yeah, direct flight from Boston to London. I think generally when people talk about how long it takes to get somewhere overseas, they don't include waiting around at the airport, etc.
                I work and travel for my job, all travel time has to be accounted for as either billable or non billable. When this happens you actually see the journey length for what is required, not just the minimum time parts - like allow 30mins extra for traffic, 2 hours before takeoff etc.

Do wish I could get a direct flight, so much less hassle, and faster!

Comment

Originally posted by p_b82 View Post
                  I work and travel for my job, all travel time has to be accounted for as either billable or non billable. When this happens you actually see the journey length for what is required, not just the minimum time parts - like allow 30mins extra for traffic, 2 hours before takeoff etc.
                  I travel for work, too, but when traveling for pleasure, I don't need to account for billable time, of course.
                  You're free to keep track of the time it takes for the journey however you like, just saying that most people when talking about how long it takes to get somewhere overseas will talk about flight, and that usually doesn't include time spent sitting around in the airport beforehand, or at customs, etc. unless it's an interruption mid-journey. (Like layovers, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                  X