Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

مرحبا from the BEAUTIFUL Kingdom of Jordan! Peace Corps LDR.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

مرحبا from the BEAUTIFUL Kingdom of Jordan! Peace Corps LDR.

Hello all! My name is Carrie. I am currently serving as a US Peace Corps Volunteer in the Karak region of Jordan. It's truly a beautiful place and I am very excited for the next 2 years of my service. I left my SO at home though :-(

Thomas and I met in Augusta, Georgia in 2010 during college (Poli Sci FTW!) and instantly clicked as friends. We did a lot of travelling together and by my senior year (I am 2 years older and was one year ahead in school) we were pretty inseparable.

I left for grad school in June 2012. I did a MA of International Relations through Webster University's Global MA program (5 countries in 11 months). He came to visit me while I was living in London and we did London, Paris, and the Harry Potter Studio Tours together. It was around that time that things changed for us (I mean, who WOULDN'T fall in love over Harry Potter??) - but we were still "just friends".

I got home in August 2013, and he left to go teach in the Republic of Georgia for a year at the end of August. He came home for Christmas and made a visit to see me (I was living back in Minnesota again with my family). After he got back to the Republic of Georgia, things got really bad for us and we didn't speak to each other for several months.

We started speaking again before he got home though. We saw each other again in September when I went to visit my dad in Georgia. That's when we laid everything out that had been happening with us the last few years.

We're pretty bad at this timing thing because a month after finally admitting that we love each other I was headed to Jordan for my Peace Corps service (To be fair - it was really his fault though - he waited too long! I had always been clear how I felt! ;-D)

So, I didn't expect it but I find myself in a Peace Corps LDR. TJ is back in Georgia (state, not country) as he had a self awakening and decided to pursue is dream of getting an engineering degree. Yes, I know the statistics work against us - but we've done pretty okay when we *weren't trying*.

I wouldn't worry about the statistics too much, we have many couples here who have beaten.those odds.
    Welcome to LFAD it's such a wonderful community to find strength through. =)
    "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Well, the stats are particularly bad for Peace Corps volunteers and Peace Corps discusses that specifically in training. Actually, had we been officially dating before I got my official invitation, I would have had to report it and PC would have had us doing a sort of "couple's counseling" (they send out a form of questions to talk about with each other that I would have to report back to them). We did it anyway as we saw value in it, but it was nice not having to share it. I had to report it to my Country Director when I arrived.

The worst is, due to my post being so conservative - it is highly unlikely he'll ever be able to visit me here. Not while I am an unmarried woman (living alone as an unmarried woman is haram enough!). I am trying to feel out my community - if my brother comes along when my mother comes to visit, he may be able to serve as a 'chaperone' to protect my honor - so then TJ may be able to visit. But I'm still not sure. I can't risk my reputation in the community!

That said, we're planning to meet up in Greece this summer! I'm sure that won't be romantic or anything.

Comment

Either way, welcome to LFAD. My mother and her family lived out in Jordan for a few years when she was a youngster. Though that was a very long time ago. I love to hear her talking about the Middle East; present issues and wars and religion difficulties aside, it's a completely different world.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD, Carrie How long have you been in Jordan for now?

Comment

Originally posted by abna1 View Post
            Welcome to LFAD, Carrie How long have you been in Jordan for now?
            I have been here since October. Finished my pre-service training in the Madaba region and swore in December 29, now I'm in the Karak region.

Comment

I just noticed your SO is from Georgia as well, carrie. Mine is too! xD

Comment

Welcome here Statistics are just that. I hope you will find help and support here to not be a part of them

It sounds like a plan to have several visiters at once - or meet up with him abroad
                I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
                  I just noticed your SO is from Georgia as well, carrie. Mine is too! xD
                  Yes! I noticed that when you first replied. I had to look it up to see where it was though - he's way south! My SO and I lived in Augusta - which is on the South Carolina border. Is he hoping to move to Wales, or you to USA? Loved Wales when I lived in London - though I only went to Cardiff (Doctor Who of course). The Welsh language was the most intriguing thing I've ever seen!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycarrie06 View Post
                    Yes! I noticed that when you first replied. I had to look it up to see where it was though - he's way south! My SO and I lived in Augusta - which is on the South Carolina border. Is he hoping to move to Wales, or you to USA? Loved Wales when I lived in London - though I only went to Cardiff (Doctor Who of course). The Welsh language was the most intriguing thing I've ever seen!
                    I'm hoping to move to the states, I can't stand living here, lol. I've been warned many a times never to live in the states, but I want to see how it is and if I will like it. I'm stubborn I've heard of Augusta though didn't really know where it was until you made mention of it in your above post. I can speak fluent Welsh; I've lived here all my life, though I was born in Nottingham in England.

P.S. I don't watch Doctor Who, but I know a lot of Whovians and a lot of people who went to Cardiff just to see.

Comment

Working...
                    X