new 30s couple, international (US/UK) x military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new 30s couple, international (US/UK) x military

Hi folks! I'm an American (30/F), and I recently started dating a British guy (30/M) I met when I was traveling in the UK last December.

We only spent 4-5 days together back in December, but the connection was felt intensely by both of us, so we stayed in touch through the holidays, and at some point decided we should "give it a go," as the Brits would say. Why not?

As it happens, I'm a freelancer with a very flexible schedule, so I came back over to the UK at the beginning of March to spend some time with him, and to give us the chance to "try on" being a couple. Add in to the mix that he's in the military, is pretty busy, and travels often for work. He just bought a house, so I'm living in it with him while I'm here (the next three months).

Our major immediate challenge is living together even though we still barely know each other, really. Fortunately, we are similar in a lot of ways that matter when keeping house together with someone else: our levels of cleanliness and organization seem to be matching up well, and our daily schedules mesh well.

We're both having to learn things on the fly, though.

I'm learning that he hates grocery shopping, and if he has to "waste" an evening doing it with me, it puts him in a bit of a bad mood. (Solution: Tesco home delivery! Or I shop myself, which I actually enjoy.)

I can't speak with certainty about what he's learning, but I imagine it's things like the fact that I enjoy long, hot showers, or that I'm anal about bed pillows and have to sleep on a clean pillowcase every night.

Anyway, I arrived to this site by chance after searching for some information. If things continue to go well between us, I imagine I'll be considering visa stuff and other international issues eventually. The military aspect, of course, adds a further twist, but he might be exiting service some time next year anyway.

We have yet to talk much about big issues like, which of us would want to move for the other? Or would we both want to move? Since we're still pretty fresh into the start, I'm not hugely concerned about those things yet. We're both still learning about each other and seeing how we feel. Our chemistry is great, the sex is amazing, we have so many of the same hobbies, and our family values seem on par with each other's. I feel like that's a great start, so I'm optimistic.

We'll be together here in the UK until the end of June. Then he has quite a bit of traveling to do for work, but we're going to squeeze in a week in a US national park in August. Then, it would likely be November/December 2015 before I saw him again. This is of course assuming things continue to go well

Well! Thanks for letting me ramble. Hope everyone is feeling happy and connected to their long-distance partners today!

Welcome to LFAD
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Welcome!!!!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD
        "Sometimes you just have to let art flow over you."

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!
          "We are beings attracted to the essence of hope, and life is the all encompassing hope that everything can change; that everything can be better."

Comment

Welcome! A happy story....Awesome!

Enjoy the connection that the distance will create between you. Communication between the two of you will grow in an amazing way any time you are apart. When you can't physically touch, you can mentally touch...which is just as important as the physical aspect.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, all, and for the advice, canuck! I'm interested to see how our independent personalities will (hopefully) carry us through the times of distance!

Comment

Welcome! We are all here to support you in any case

Comment

Working...
                X