Introductions are always the hardest... >.<

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introductions are always the hardest... >.<

Well, I guess to begin I should say Hello!

My name is Ashley, but when I'm online, I prefer to be called Skye. I'm 22 years old, and my fiance(age 24, turning 25 at the end of June) and I have been together for six years; me in the USA and him in the UK. We were engaged in December of 2013. I know, it seems like an awful long time for us to be so young...but if 4,000 miles couldn't keep us from bonding, don't know what could.

We met when I had just turned 13 through mutual nerdiness. Both of us were gamers trying to make friends on a forum...but neither of us expected to find a best friend in someone we didn't even know. We talked pretty openly in topics for a while before he sent me the first private message; and from then on, the first place I would go after school was to my computer. We would talk via messages for hours on end, and I would be utterly electrified when he would message me first. Before I knew it, two years had flown by, and he had become a part of my life I simply couldn't imagine myself without. It wasn't hard to tell that I had developed a landslide of crush on him; my mother had gotten used to me spending all of my time on a website she barely knew anything about, and getting so excited when I would hear a chime though the speakers from my messenger. She had even gone as far as to buy me a microphone and a webcam when I asked so I could finally talk to this boy who had me so smitten even though she still wasn't entirely sure she approved of me having such a friend.

When I first heard his voice, it was like my body began to buzz. I remember the feeling so well...I feel it daily even now when he speaks to me. So we got used to being able to speak to each other instead of wearing out our keyboards typing. One day, he dropped a bomb on me I didn't expect.

He told me that after two years of friendship, that he could come see me if I wanted.

I had to mute my microphone and scream into a pillow I was so excited. Of course, my mother came running as soon as she heard my sound of joy, and right then I had to explain to her what had made me so happy so suddenly...and then came to obstacle of getting permission. It took about a week, but eventually she relented; and one of the conditions of gaining her permission was she needed to see a picture of him. And it was then, I'd realized for myself that I'd never seen a picture of him myself...I was crushing on a person I had never even seen before, and I began to feel a slight sense of dread. But, when it came to asking for the photographic proof, he was more than happy to come forward with three photographs. I looked at them with wonder, my mother examined them with great scrutiny, and then finally gave her approval and permission for him to stay with us while he visited.

And then there I was, just months passed 15, and standing in an airport terminal to meet the boy I had loved before I even knew his face...and I was relieved to see his tell-tale army green rucksack come bouncing off a prop jet and walk across the tarmac to the gate.

A visit that started innocent changed both of our lives forever, and six months after he returned to his home in England, he asked me if I wanted him to be more than a friend. I hastily accepted, not being able to shake the feeling of his fingers laced through mine...and the rest is history.

We are in the process of trying to close the distance now so we can finally marry...and I can only hope our time will come quickly.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this far, I know I'm long winded. I'm more than certain I'll find great friends and guidance here among peers! <3

Welcome to LFAD, Skye.

That's an amazing LDR story you have there. Quite a few people on here met their SO playing online games, including myself. I sometimes feel it's one of the better ways to get to know a person because in a way people are more honest in an online game environment. Not only do people actively try to leave a good impression in real life or on dating websites, many online players use the anonymity of their nickname to act out their less favorable traits.
    That means if someone is nice and thoughtful to strangers in an online game - especially to their opponents - it is quite likely that they truly are a great person.

Anyway, this was just a thought that had crossed my mind recently. Thanks a lot for posting your story. It's quite inspiring!

Comment

Such a sweet story Welcome here, and best wishes for all your plans for the future
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Thank you both for your kind words! Honestly, going into it I was a little bit wary...but I wouldn't trade him for anything in this world.

Comment

This story was cute and rather remarkable, thank you for sharing. I look forward to reading more posts from you. I wish you and yours the best

Btw.. How did your mom take the engagement?

I would love to hear more from this story.

Comment

Again, thank you for such kind words, and thank you douglas!!

Well, his first visit went wonderfully as I told above, but while we were at a theme park, I had a bit of a health issue. I suffered from heat stroke and ended up passing out in a gift shop on the way out of the park. When I came to, he had put my head on his lap, covered me with my hoodie and even put his sunglasses on my face because I mentioned my head hurting before I went down. People asked if I needed an EMT, but I came to before anyone called and told them I would be okay, I just needed a moment to recoup. I should mention that he suffered from acute sensitivity to light at the time, so giving me his glasses when we were under a skylight was pretty remarkable for him. He valued my health over his own.

At this point, my mother being a nurse for over thirty years witnessed this and immediately took to him, so ever since she supported our relationship whole-heartedly and was completely over the moon when I announced our engagement on facebook. I guess you could say that he made a great first impression considering he did all he did for me and we weren't even a couple then...he just showed what an amazing person he is!

Also, I would love to tell more about my story if people are curious! I tend to be rather long winded, but I enjoy telling our story if it can help other people in theirs. ^_^

Comment

Working...
            X