Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LDR - US & Latin America

Hello!

So I recently met a girl online who lives in my birth country of Honduras (I'm adopted, grew up in Minneapolis), and everything has been wonderful since day two. I was actually about to delete my profile (okc), but decided to search the term "Honduras" just to see who shared that interest/experience with me. That's how we met, and our connection was fairly instantaneous (even if it sounds crazy to say that)..in the early infatuation weeks we talked like "it's meant to be!," since then we've toned it down a bit and just say that it feels right. We're both ~28 and very happy together, despite the distance and challenge ahead of us. She taught herself English, and I have a Spanish major from my undergraduate days. It definitely was not our intention, but it happened and we're trying our best to make this work. We plan to meet in December but that's a complicated topic for a future thread (telling your family you intend to visit a girl living in the most violent city in the world is no easy conversation, no matter where she lives in the city - alternatively, she might be able to get a visa through her work). We both discussed that if we're able to make this work in the long run, she'd ultimately come to the US.

We talk on whatsapp/FB messenger, email (lunch notes at work), skype, and occasionally phone. Unfortunately she recently dropped and broke her cell phone (not cool at all, given the LDR situation). She still "borrows" phones from her family to check in on me every so often, and she'll eventually replace it. Luckily this coincided with the arrival of my first care package, which was a laptop charger, wonder woman comic, and card, so we are still able to talk. I just learned that she's surprising me with a birthday gift, which should arrive any day this week.

I stumbled across this forum and am glad I did. Not sure if there are a lot of guys posting here, but it looks like a supportive community. I'd really like our story to have a happy ending. I look forward to hearing your stories and sharing mine as it unfolds.
    ** Met on OKC 6/8/15 ** 1st Visit & Engagement: 1/30/15 (San Jose, Costa Rica) ** 2nd Visit: 1/8/16 (San Pedro Sula, Honduras) ** i129f NOA1: 2/22/16 ** 3rd Visit: 3/19/16 (San Pedro Sula/Puerto Cortes, Honduras) ** i129f RFE: 5/6/16 ** NOA2 Approved 6/2/16 ** 4th Visit: 7/1/16 (Tela, Honduras) ** K1 Visa Interview Approved 7/18/16 ** K1 Visa Received 7/27/16 ** Closed The Distance: 8/16/16 ** Married 9/24/16 ** Greencard Application In progress **

Most people don't know that Tegucigalpa is that dangerous. I went alone (single female) a few years back and had a great time. Of course if you're so worried about it meet in a neighboring country- Belize, Gautemala or El Salvador. Buses aren't expensive for her to take and she doesn't need special documents to enter.

Alternatively, my SO managed to get a U.S. visitor visa because his work sponsored him. So that's a good plan of action as well.

Comment

Thanks Lucy that's nice to hear - I'm glad everything worked out for you. I myself am not too worried about Honduras (although the statistics for her city do require some caution); it's been a while, but I have been there before. And maybe she'll come here first through a work visa. For now, I'm just enjoying getting to know her and if it's meant to be, we'll figure it out.
      ** Met on OKC 6/8/15 ** 1st Visit & Engagement: 1/30/15 (San Jose, Costa Rica) ** 2nd Visit: 1/8/16 (San Pedro Sula, Honduras) ** i129f NOA1: 2/22/16 ** 3rd Visit: 3/19/16 (San Pedro Sula/Puerto Cortes, Honduras) ** i129f RFE: 5/6/16 ** NOA2 Approved 6/2/16 ** 4th Visit: 7/1/16 (Tela, Honduras) ** K1 Visa Interview Approved 7/18/16 ** K1 Visa Received 7/27/16 ** Closed The Distance: 8/16/16 ** Married 9/24/16 ** Greencard Application In progress **

Comment

Welcome.

No, not a lot of guys here, but I'm always glad to see them! I hope you find it as helpful as we have found it. It's been a great source of support for me, personally, and I know a lot of members who have stayed around for years-- even after closing the distance or breaking up.

Sounds like you have an awesome relationship starting!
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
        X