Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey from chilly England!

Just joined and wanted to say hi!

I'm in an LDR with a lovely guy from FL, USA whilst I'm in the UK. I have been through a fair number of relationships and had almost sworn off dating forever before I met him - he is a wonderful person who I have so much in common with and who never fails to make me smile and realise my potential as a person. We've known each other for nearly a year and have been together for 5 months - I've visited twice and we try to Skype most days, as well as messaging back and forth with various free messaging apps throughout the day. Hoping to visit before the end of the year, though have ESTA and travel plans to sort out first - fingers crossed both of those go fine (I worry a lot!). He's hoping to get vacation time off early next year to come and see me too, which would be amazing.

Mainly joined because I don't know anyone else in my situation & it'd be nice to have support (and support others) through all the more difficult times that friends here don't seem to understand - yearning for a single hug or kiss, missing them painfully, wishing more than anything they could be with you at a particular moment. Definitely not easy, but he's absolutely worth it!

Welcome! Hope you find support through LFAD! It helps to have people that understand what you're going through!

Comment

Hey I am happy that you found a person who is "yours", is the best feeling in the world, isn't it? Wish you all the best and have fun here!

Comment

Thankyou both, I appreciate it!

Comment

You've definitely come to the right place, the members are very supportive. I'm in my first LDR and whilst my friends are supportive, they just don't get the realities of living a life where the woman I love on the other side of the world.

Comment

Welcome... I am on the position as you are and trust me .. everyone here is great! You came to the right place, it always help knowing that you are not the only one on an LDR.

Comment

I completely agree - other people just don't understand sometimes which can be frustrating! Especially the "why don't you just go out with someone closer"! I never considered being in an LDR before, but after meeting someone who is absolutely worth all the ups and downs I wouldn't consider any alternative.

Comment

It still makes me smile when I remember that I used to think people in LDRs were nuts and I too wondered why they didn't just find someone closer. Then fate decided to teach me a huge lesson and I met the woman of my dreams. The only problem being, she was in Oz and I was in the UK. Both of us thought LDRs were crazy until we met each other and now we don't want a life without each other, every day and every visit is a day closer to closing the distance. Life truly is a wonderful thing and constantly surprises me it's hard being so far away but worth it for the end game.

Comment

I completely understand. No matter how hard LDRs can be, finding your soulmate is so AWESOME it is worth the struggle.

Comment

Completely agree!

He'd had friends staying over all week, so we finally got to Skype yesterday for 2.5 hours until we were too hungry to talk any more! Even via Skype it's just so wonderful to talk about things like travel plans, daily goings-on, and recipes to cook when we're together!

Comment

Time zones make chatting with my SO really difficult. When she's getting up to go to work I'm off to bed and when I'm getting up she's in work. Most of our comms are through whatsapp, FB and maybe getting to chat via FaceTime once a week if we're lucky. It sucks but at least we communicate regardless of how we do it.

It's full on for us both at the moment as we're both moving house and it works out that we've ended up moving on the same day - just a pity it's not to be with each other yet. I'm moving with work and she's just bought her own place. I'm looking forward to seeing the new house for myself when I'm in Oz at the end of the year.

It's tricky but not insurmountable.

Comment

That does sound really challenging, but I'm glad apps like Whatsapp and Facebook Messenger now make it that much easier to stay in touch. I really like SnapChat for sending each other random photos of what we're up to, even if I don't see it til the next morning.

I hope the next few months go really fast for you, & I'm sure you'll have the best time! I'm counting down til the end of October & hoping that September passes by quickly!

Comment

I hate wishing my life away but I'm so looking forward to 4 weeks with my SO. First Xmas and New Year together and looking at the weather we're having over here at least I get another shot at a hot summer we have a secret FB page where we upload pics, etc. it's lovely to wake up to messages. I'm extremely thankful for technology, without it our relationship would be almost impossible.

It'll soon be October and I hope the time goes quick for you too

Comment

Working...
                          X