In a LDR after vowing "never again" :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In a LDR after vowing "never again" :)

Hello! I've been lurking here for a few days and this place seems amazing. I found the site via YouTube rabbit hole (as so many amazing things in life are discovered) and now after much creeping around, I thought I should say hi

I'm 2 and a half (ish) months in to a new LDR that happened totally by accident. I'm from central Canada, he's from the Massachusetts coast. I was dismantling my online dating profile (burned out after a year of local dating) when he sent me a message - and it was only because he was from another country that I flippantly responded, because who cared? I was on my way out and he was hundreds of miles away so there was no hope for a relationship...and yet here we are!

As a bit of backstory, I still can't quite believe that I'm in an LDR to begin with, and that things are so delightful, even with all the obstacles we have to face. When I was in my early 20's, I had connected with someone from Turkey I met through a spirituality website that turned into a LDR. We were "together" for a year, although we never met (we had plans to meet in the UK, where we both hoped to go to school), when things took a very scary turn and I actually became afraid for my own safety. It shook me up so badly that I not only swore off LDRs but also didn't date at all for quite a long time.

This second kick at the LDR can is proving to be MUCH more enjoyable than my previous relationship. He and I have met in "real life" (he flew up here just two weeks ago, for a short visit - in case things went badly), he's met my family, and we're in that "disgustingly in love" stage where we have big goofy smiles on for no reason and have to Face Time every night or we can't get to sleep. It's pretty wonderful.

Anyways, so that's the short version of my reason for being here! I'm loving reading all the threads and everyone here seems awesome. It's nice to meet you all!

Welcome to the forum! Your story sounds like things have turned out for the best, and I wish you and your S/O a long and happy relationship!
    "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
    Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
    Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
    Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
    Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
    Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

Thanks very much for the warm welcome, AJG96! And hey, you're from Massachusetts too, I see - it really is a small world, isn't it! I'm planning to fly down there to visit this winter, and I'm so excited.

Comment

You're welcome! I've only met one other person on the forum from Massachusetts so far. Coincidentally, they lived only two towns away from me, so it's a very small world. Anyway, i hope that you enjoy your time on the forum!
        "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
        Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
        Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
        Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
        Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
        Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

Welcome to the forum. I had sworn off LDRS after my last one (8 years) but here I am! It's great that you were able to meet so soon too It really helps make things 'real'.
          Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
          All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

I'd given up on LDRs too, but somehow, we ended up full circle. Welcome to the forums.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD Nice to hear that things are going really well.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD! Wish you lots of luck

Comment

Working...
                X