Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! I'm Merel, pleased to meet you!

Hello my fellow LDR'ers

First of all I'm super excited to be here and meet people who are in the same situation as me. I've figured out that most people, even friends whom I tell about my situation often think I'm being silly for keeping up a relationship with someone who moved abroad. It's a little frustrating that they don't seem to understand how strong our love is. And how much it's worth to fight for.
    Anyway, enough with the whining, let me introduce myself!

My name is Merel, I'm a 22 year old Media&communication student from Amsterdam. Besides that I work as a freelance video editor. I'm a big fan of movies, music, art, fashion and anything that is creative. Love to visit concerts and festivals and traveling is one of my biggest passions.

A few months ago I met Giuliano, my boyfriend. When he sent me a message I couldn't help not smiling at his profile picture, wearing a birthday hat, cheeky smile, and his dog next to him. This funny Italian immediately stole my heart and from the moment I wrote him back we haven't stopped texting each other. A few weeks later we decided to meet. After work I jumped in the train to Amsterdam Central Station and waited for him on a big square. It was a beautiful warm summer night and we spent hours sitting on the waterside having drinks, talking, and yes.. kissing too. He made me put aside my personal rule of not kissing on the first date like it was nothing haha! Anyway I regret nothing . After having drinks at several places we spent the rest of the night walking along the canals, holding hands and talking. It felt like I had known him for years already.
    We dated many more times but both wanted to take it easy. Which didn't entirely work out after all because a month after our first date he asked me to be his girlfriend. We just celebrated our 2 months anniversary and I feel like the luckiest girl in the world!

Of course not everything is about roses in our story. Giuliano graduated from university and was desperately looking for a job. He was not planning to live from his parents money on the age of 26 even though they offered him and the Dutch companies kept rejecting him time and time again. Apart from that life gets quite dull when you don't work or study. Eventually he found a job.. in Germany. Which meant he had to move there. Miles away from me, his friends and the life he was used to. He had no other choice but go. And we both knew that we were going to keep up this beautiful thing we have. Because it sure is worth fighting for. Of course I know Germany is a lot less far than the distances many of you guys here are dealing with, and luckily we do get to see each other a few times per month because of the train connection between Amsterdam and Dusseldorf, but to us it's a difficult thing to not see each other as often as we'd want to. I miss his kisses, his smile, his beautiful eyes.. Counting down the days till I see him again..

Hi Merel, such a sweet story, welcome to LFAD
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Heya Merel, welcome to LFAD.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!!!

Stay positive, you have loads going for your relationship, relatively close and compared to others here, you can easily see each other quite often!

It still hurts to be apart though, no matter what the distance or time spent apart. You are among friends here who completely understand your situation. I hope you find this site as helpful as I do.

Comment

Hi Unicorn! such a sweet message, I feel very welcome already. Thank you!

Comment

Thank you Honour! ^^

Comment

Hello and welcome!

That's a lovely story! I guess we should all be thankful to train companies that help us to visit our S/Os haha. Good luck, stay positive, it's worth fighting for!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD, Merel! Thanks for sharing your lovely story

Comment

Hi Merel, welcome to LFAD! You have a lovely sotry!

Comment

Welcome, Merel! What a lovely story
                      My boyfriend lives in Germany, too, so I understand how you feel. Hopefully it won't be long till your next visit!

Comment

Hi nice to meet you

Comment

Hoi Merel! Eindelijk weer een landgenoot. Leuk en welkom.
                          Hi Merel, nice, finally someone again from my country. Welcome.
                          Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Oh so well written story! It's like reading a book! Thanks for sharing it and I hope You guys keep going. It's a good way to look at this as meant to be. ♥ I hope soon enough You will have an opportunity to be closer to each other. You definitely deserve it.

Comment

Working...
                            X