Hey everyone!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone!

Hi everyone, thought I would introduce myself!

My name is Mark and I've been in a LDR for nearly 4 years! My girlfriend and I kept our relationship quite lowkey at the beginning until it eventually caused us to split because we never thought we were going to meet (I was too worried to tell my parents). This lasted for around 3 months until we started messaging each other again, and we made it work! She has now visited me, and stayed with my family for 3 months, over her summer break (good thing it stays pretty warm here in winter). Then I went over to the USA and stayed with her in a hotel (and at her uni, sneaky!) for 6 weeks, which was amazing because I got to meet her amazing family and spend Christmas with them.

At the end if this year I plan to get a working Visa and finally close the distance. She will still have a year and a half left of Nursing at college but I will be completely graduated!

Anyway, I tried to keep it as short as possible - I look forward to meeting you all.

Hi and welcome, Mark. Nice story. 4 years is quite a long time, and as I see it's not the end of it, yet. Any plans of who is going to move to whom, yet?
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Hi and welcome from me too!

I'm assuming you will be the one wanting to move to the US.
      Getting a working visa for the US is quite difficult. Unless you already have a set plan of how that's going to work, I wouldn't count on getting a work visa. The employer needs to prove that the position could not have been filled with a national candidate. So it all kinda depends on your skills and your job.

Either way, it's good to do some US visa reseach.

Comment

Originally posted by Caro1 View Post
        Hi and welcome from me too!

I'm assuming you will be the one wanting to move to the US.
        Getting a working visa for the US is quite difficult. Unless you already have a set plan of how that's going to work, I wouldn't count on getting a work visa. The employer needs to prove that the position could not have been filled with a national candidate. So it all kinda depends on your skills and your job.

Either way, it's good to do some US visa reseach.
        Hey Caro!

Yeah, I plan on moving at the end of this year. I've actually found a working visa for recent graduates, it's sort of a program; You must be a recent graduate of a Bachelor's Degree, and they help you find accommodation, jobs, etc, and lasts for up to 12 months. I plan on getting a job with this -if possible- and then applying for just a normal working visa for that 12 months to see what I can get. Do you have any recommendations?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark P View Post
          I plan on getting a job with this -if possible- and then applying for just a normal working visa for that 12 months to see what I can get. Do you have any recommendations?
          Alright. You are probably getting a J1 visa, which is for cultural exchange. With the J1, you have your first 12 months taken care of.

But after that, you still cannot "just apply" for a work visa, but instead have to find a company that applies for the visa for you. Being in the US already might be helpful since job searching is much easier when you're already in the country, but it does not exempt you from having to file through the right channels - meaning the employer has to be willing to go through the visa process with you.

I'm not sure what sort of recommendations you're looking for.
          If you have specific questions about visas visajourney (dot com) is a great forum to find answers to all kinds of US-visa related questions.
          I don't have experience getting a work visa, since I decided against that path due to the difficulties in finding an employer willing to go through the visa process. (I have to admit, I did not actively try to find one, just read about other people's difficulties)
          I can only give you personal insight on Fiancé and Spousal visas as that's what I turned my reseach focus to.

Comment

Hi everyone, I am newbie here.

Comment

Working...
            X