Trying to Adjust in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to Adjust in Texas

Howdy! I guess I'll introduce myself, especially since my situation seems to be a little different from most on the site.

I'm 42. Ex-schoolteacher who went back to school to get an environmental science degree. Graduated 4 months ago; still unemployed.
    He's 41. US Army vet who went back to school to get the same degree. Graduated 16 months ago; working.

I live in Texas - still in the college town where we met - and he is now in Wyoming at Grand Teton National Park as a ranger and started last month in March. 1400-some odd miles away. His first assignment was for 6 months at Waco Mammoth National Monument, 1.75 hrs away from here.

We both knew by the second date that we were meant to be. We've both been married before, no children. He went to college for the first time after 13 years in the Army. I went back in order to change careers. Students our age are few and far between, so it was only natural that we'd meet eventually. A mutual friend introduced us at a volunteer event but I didn't think about him much. I was in a very tumultuous relationship at the time and was looking for a way out. Our mutual friends kept trying to push us together and, eventually, when I got rid of the boat anchor of a boyfriend, Joe and I went out and hit it off immediately.

We were together for only 10 months - 3 of which lived together - before he moved to Waco. I lost my $#!+ initially because we didn't realize how easy it would be for him to come down every week on his days off. Once we figured that out, things went a bit smoother. Still hard, but doable.

When he accepted the position at GTNP, I was crushed. I knew I couldn't find work up there (plot twist: can't find it here, either) and with Jackson - the nearest town - being all about resorts, off-park housing would cost a fortune. Although the initial arrangement was that I would go after my lease expired here in Texas, it's become painfully obvious that our scenario isn't going to happen. Not to mention that I don't want to be 16 hours away from my parents and I hatehatehate snow and cold weather.

Not only is my immediate future completely uncertain (I have no idea where I'm going to live come July 12th. I have nowhere to go and no job as of yet), but even after his 2-year stint in GTNP, we have no idea where he'll go next. The national parks system is uber-screwed and there are very few permanent positions available, so rangers move around quite often.

We're on the phone most of the evenings every day and video chat about once a week and text pics of interesting stuff in our lives every day. The only problem, besides the separation, is that our conversations are mostly silence. I guess that just comes with staying on the phone with someone for literally hours every night. It's just nice to know he's there, I guess.

We're both very depressed. He's completely isolated up there with no real way to make friends and there's virtually nothing to do. I still do things around here that I used to do on occasion, but I don't see my friends very often and don't go out like I used to. I've always seen a psychiatrist - about once every three weeks - but I've bumped it up to once a week now. My symptoms are very severe now and his aren't good either, but he hides it well.

Anyway, I'm sorry this was so long. It's hard to find people who are or who have been in the same situation, so I'm hoping I can find and give support here. If you made it this far, congrats! I'm glad to be here.

I'm familiar with Jackson. Housing is tough there. Most Townies commute from Victor, Idaho to work there.

I'd say in a mobile career like that, I'd seriously consider an RV and get a side gig hosting at campgrounds. Morning and night check in new arrivals and sell firewood.

Flights in and out of Jackson are limited pretty much to Delta with connections through SLC or Denver. Not sure what their frequent flier program is, but it's worth looking into.

As for the Career front, Enviro science could lead in a number of directions in Water and Air Quality. Something of great concern to the Oil and Gas companies on the Jonah Field (Pinedale) or Rock springs area of WY. They have to comply with regulations and monitor so they need people for that. Search listings in SLC, Denver, Cheyenne, it will get you closer. Maybe for now look at a camp teacher/counselor position for the summer with the numerous summer camps in the Jackson area like Teton Valley Ranch Camp

Not to mention opportunities in BLM, or USFS.

Every day do one or more things towards being together and it feels worthwhile. If i didn't have anything holding me back I'd figure out a way to spend a summer in Western Wyoming ASAP.
    Last edited by 2Rocky; April 14, 2018, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Yeah, it's tough. We were looking at Victor originally, but they shut down the mountain pass too often for him to get to reliably get to work. We've been looking around the Alpine area instead. With 4 dogs between us, an RV is kinda out of the question for now! Ha.

After I drove up there to help him move and settle in, I flew back from Jackson Hole to College Station in TX on American, with a grueling 4 hour layover in Dallas. But, it was the best option for the money, so whatever. Have heard about a supposedly more economical method of flying in to SLC and renting a car. May look into that for next time.

Most of the issues I run into with work is that my degree is actually focused on Ecological Restoration and all of those other jobs require policy, regulations, mitigation, and disaster response. Still trying to find a company that comes full-circle with the restoration after all of that, but have yet to find one. Most Eco Resto is contract and, despite all the projections of it being a booming career field, I've yet to see that. I do have a profile with USAJobs and it alerts me to jobs with certain keywords I've chosen, including park interpreter, considering my teaching background. Hadn't thought about the camp thing, so I really appreciate that idea. I'd applied with the Teton Valley Science School twice and was not picked, so I was a little disheartened. But I'll keep looking. I doubt we'll be able to make it unless I'm working full time as opposed to seasonal, so more number crunching is in the works.

Again, thank you so much for your reply and insight. You've given me quite a bit to think about and work with. Good topics for us to discuss this afternoon when he gets off work!

Comment

USA Jobs has never done a thing for me even when I was open to being a wildland firefighter in college. Everyone i've talked to has had someone within the system alert them to openings and listings. With all the wildfire recovery stuff, there is bound to be watershed remediation projects.

Might be some networking opportunities here:

Idaho Forest Partners

I'd search on Indeed and Glassdoor as well for private opportunities with consulting firms. Most are going to have a base in SLC, Boise or Missoula.

Like these guys: WCE Inc.

You are right at the best time to apply for a summer position doing anything. I know of a Remote Lodge at a trailhead in the Wind River range looking for a summer cook.

Heck, My Highschool friend with a PhD in Public administration waited tables to be where she wanted to be until a position came open.

Living as a functional homeless person is pretty standard among many climbers, skiers, and outdoor freaks, and is more Politically Correctly called "dirtbagging". Believe me every 40 something parent wishes they could go "full Nomad"

https://thermarestblog.com/8-dirtbag...-need-to-know/

Last edited by 2Rocky; April 16, 2018, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X