Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to this life, could use some advice, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to this life, could use some advice, please.

Hello everyone,

I am 26, met my fiancee, 23 on our Masters course in the UK over a year ago now and we spent almost every moment together since then. We traveled home to meet my parents together for new years, and again in April. I never cared for anybody this way before so I knew she was the one really quickly. when we finished the course in August we went to stay with her family in the United States and I had the best couple of months of my life. I'm a British guy and she's an American girl. We got engaged a couple of weeks ago, and just this week I came back to Glasgow alone and for an undetermined period of time...

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the visa processes for moving to the US as a foreign national so I'll try to cut it short, our field isn't one that I can be sponsored for a work visa (these are typically government jobs and require a lot of vetting and allegiance to America), so if we want to live in the US we are limited to the fiance visa, which will take a very long amount of time and cost thousands of dollars we don't yet have in filing forms and lawyer fees.

I've been back in Scotland for almost a week and I just don't feel like I belong here anymore, it's graduation week so there's been a lot of drinking and celebrating, I've been trying not to sulk, so I keep my chin up. I've been through some ordeals in my life but nothing has ever made me feel as helpless. I decided to look for a forum like this with people in similar situations because of the old principal of taking comfort knowing other people are going through this and making it, but I don't want other people feeling this way, it's terrible all I keep thinking is "why me?". This is the first time in months I've had to sleep alone, I reach out for her in the night and she's not there, I haven't cried like this since I was a child.

My plan is to start working here in the UK, to save up money to help her pay for this visa stuff, I want to keep my head down and work hard. I don't know how long it'll take me to find work, and subsequently how quickly we'll be able to pay for the lawyer. I don't want to plan visits because that means spending a lot of money which would be best served getting me over there permanently.

It's 3am and I'm dreading going to bed, so I'm here looking for advice from other people on getting used to this, getting used to sleeping alone again, and dealing with the time zone (currently we Skype when she get home from work around 5pm her time, 10pm my time).

I'm sure I'm taking all of this a lot harder than I need to be, but the uncertainty is killing me, but one thing we are certain of is that I'll be back, we are getting married and growing old together.

I appreciate people taking the time to read this, saying hello and any advice people are willing to throw my way. I haven't read many posts yet, I decided I'd get this part out of the way before I go to bed.

Cheers

Hi and welcome.
    I feel for you and your situation, though I don't have any advice I'm afraid.
    I have researched into visas et all a few times, and it fills me with dread. So much money, and time involved in working it all out, in order to be with the person you love. Having to prove your relationship, and only getting limited time together. It's very frustrating.

Comment

Eh, it's not so bad.
      First of all, you don't need a lawyer if you have never been married and have never done anything that got you in trouble with the law. We didn't get a lawyer and look at me, I've been in the US for 4 years now!
      Money wise, while the visa is costly, that's really all you can help with (and I HATED that.. I literally had to have my visa picture taken 3!!! times!!)
      Your fiancee has to earn enough money to sponsor you or have enough money in her assets to make up for what is lacking - sending money overseas doesn't prove she can sponsor you, BUT it's not THAT bad. My husband is a part-time meat clerk and he made enough money to sponsor me!

You really have to look at the positives and work towards them! Find a job, save all you can, figure out living situations, where you could work when you move, what you will take with you! This is an exciting time!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Working...
      X