Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New LDR: UK to USA

Hello.
    I'm British and my SO is American. I live in London and she lives in Arizona. We have been friends a long time (since 2011) bit only recently admitted to liking each other more than good friends.

Recently I was in America visiting some friends and one of my best friends admitted to having feelings for me. It's always been kind of unwritten that we both new we had feelings for each other but with the distance were never sure if we should act on them or not. Well we had lots of long discussions and as of August 5th 2019 we decided to give it a shot.

I joined this site originally back in 2012 when I was in a previous LDR which didn't work out, but I thought I'd sign up back here and hopefully talk to people in similar situations so we can support each other.
    Met: November 2011
    Started Dating: 5th August 2019
    Next Meeting: 17th March 2020

Hello and
    It seems we have a few things in common.
    My fiance is in Snowflake AZ, and I'm moving back to London next year. I will be 33 this year too.

Comment

Hello! Nice to "meet" someone in a very similar situation. I see you are already engaged, thats fantastic. Hoe are you finding the processes involved with obtaining the correct visas and stuff for the future wedding - if you have even started them yet? I've had a look in to them as this relationship feels so different to any previous ones (including the previous LDR) and it seems very complicated
      Met: November 2011
      Started Dating: 5th August 2019
      Next Meeting: 17th March 2020

Comment

It is, and it isn't. I proposed online, so we haven't actually seen each other since our engagement. I have found something for him, which he will receive at Christmas, and he is looking for something for me too.

We haven't approached the visa aspect yet, as I'm currently in Ireland, and the requirements are harder for me to meet to bring him here. I'm a Londoner anyway, so it makes sense for me to go back when my business here is finished.
        I have researched it at least 100 times so far, and it does sound a bit of a headache, though not as confusing as me moving out there.

The wedding is a very small consideration at this point, as it will likely be a quick last minute thing. I'm still unsure if we can even marry in the US before returning to the UK, on account of them automatically treating me as a potential immigrant to the country.

Comment

Working...
        X