Hi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi

My boyfriend and I met online almost two years ago now and we couldn't be happier. Over the time we've spent getting to know each other and learning how to love (We were both new to the real, serious relationship idea). Even though we have gone through rough patches in our relationship we stuck through it together and worked things out even if the other was being particularly annoying because that is what happens when you get to know someone really well you don't just notice the good qualities, you also notices some bad qualities that can annoy you but you just have to live with because no one is perfect.

I just got back from our first meet which consisted of me driving 581 miles to come visit for the weekend. I was able to stay two nights in his home which he also lives with his parents. We did a lot of stuff and managed to keep the meet in a good price range. It was an amazing experience and we already are planning to see each other again as soon as we can. I hope to be with him for the rest of our lives.

My parents are very strict and this is a stressful part of our relationship. I am leaving for school soon, I will be living in the dorms, and I am thinking about telling at least my mom about him and our relationship, because we are serious. But like I said before the are very strict and I am not technically allowed to have a boyfriend yet. I am afraid they will react badly but i want them to like him and approve of us.
    Last edited by beccan0720; August 20, 2019, 09:39 PM.

I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for.

Personally, if my parents were that strict about my relationships, I wouldn't be telling them about it. LDRs are stressful enough as it is without having parents putting added stress, pressure and emotion on to you to live to their expectations (what happened to free will?)

If you are looking for other advice then please feel free to post something more specific
    Met: November 2011
    Started Dating: 5th August 2019
    Next Meeting: 17th March 2020

Comment

Thank you this is some good advice. I want this relationship to last maybe until marriage so I will have to tell my parents eventually, when would be a good time to tell them? Or at least my mom since she is more understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by beccan0720 View Post
        Thank you this is some good advice. I want this relationship to last maybe until marriage so I will have to tell my parents eventually, when would be a good time to tell them? Or at least my mom since she is more understanding.
        I think only you can be the judge of when it's good to tell your mum. You know your family better than any one on the forum.

Some people may wait years. I told my dad a week before I flew to Kentucky to meet my girl for the first time. Because I knew he'd say 'Good for you, son'.
        I love her - like a table!

Comment

As the previous poster mentioned, you know your parents better than anyone on here. But if I were to guess, they are just concerned for you as their daughter. I think about it like this.. you are about to move out and live in a dorm, this requires a bit of maturity on your behalf. I am not sure on how long it will be before you start school, but maybe sit down with your parents and have a calm and serious conversation with them, or your mom.

I would let them know that you can understand where they are coming from as parents but they need to understand your point of view as well. You are becoming an adult and you will need to have your own life lessons and learn from them on your own terms. I wouldn't mention marriage just yet, but again.. that is just my opinion. Just tell them you have someone in your life that you are pretty serious about and you just wanted them to know about him. Don't let the situation get out of hand, don't raise your voice or provoke them in any way, its not going to help the situation. Remain calm and show them how mature you are being about the situation, this may help them be open minded about your SO.

Good luck to the both of you!
          ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

Update:
            I told my mom, aunts and grandma and pretty much everyone who added me on Instagram. I posted a bunch of pictures from one of our meets a couple months ago. All was good responses and most just wondered where he came from.
            Thanks for the luck everyone!

Comment

Working...
            X