Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to forum UK based

Hi everyone,

It's only been a month since my partner left to enhance his career prospects abroad and the 2951 miles worth of distance are already causing some distress. I can already feel myself putting on a few pounds from the sugar cravings. I was looking for ways to beat the LDR sadness bug and it led me here. I've had a quick look at some of the threads and I already feel comfort in knowing that I am one of many going through similar ups and downs of LDRs.
    The first time we tried long distance it failed terribly, we separated for about 2 years. After uni we somehow found our way back to each other even after everything we'd been through in between. I really want to make it work this time and give it a real shot, but I know I will need a lot of support along the way. And I am pretty sure everyone around me is tired of hearing about my complaints, so here is my last resort.
    Last edited by a1m5; October 28, 2020, 04:53 AM.

Hello and welcome! You will find all of the support you will need here

Some things you can do is find a new hobby or start a project. Make more time with your friends and family. Get more involved with things outside of your relationship to help you take your mind off of him being gone. You will learn to cope once you 2 get in your new routine.
    ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

Hi MsGrim,

Thank you for the advice, I’ll definitely be making a list. I had actually read one of your threads (baby steps) and wanted to say the following:
      I hope his mum is able to look past all that you say they envision and see you for who you truly are. I am in a similar situation whereby my SO is also from a religious family and I am certainly not what they envision for him either. His parents are also unaware that we are dating. When he was studying in the UK everything was much easier, but now he is back home in the Middle East and they have no idea he is dating, I can admit it's not the best. It can be hard at times because you feel like you are someone's secret. But I am happy for you because your SO seems committed and motivated to tell his family that he is with you, that is 100% a step in the right direction. I know what you mean when you say even a small step is a very big one. Religious differences can certainly be a big obstacle to overcome, but once you do the relief will be worth it. I wish you both all the best.

Comment

Thank you for your thoughts! He planned on telling them next month but I think that will be delayed because of his studies. I guess we will see! I've made it this far and coping well with what we have going, I am sure I can keep going

How long will you be separated for?
        ~And ever has it been known that Love knows not its own depth until the hour of separation~

Comment

As long as you're coping then all is good. And if ever you can't I'm here to talk.
          Sadly I don't have the answer to that, which is definitely not great. It could be a year, 2, 3. I'm hoping before 2 years pass he will be back, but all is a to be seen as he's trying to get as much experience in his field as he can.
          I will say one thing, if I don't get out of my funk soon I will just be pushing him away, so I hope to be happy and chirpy again ASAP.

Comment

Get you some new projects going!! This really helped me. I threw myself into painting, drawing, and crocheting and before I knew it, I felt as if i was in a "normal" relationship

Comment

Well you seem to be very upbeat and strong, so I will definitely take your advice, it sure looks like it has worked for you. Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X