Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi! First, let me start by saying I’ve had bad experiences with past relationships, which has resulted in me having a lot of trust issues and insecurities. So needless to say, an LDR was not something I would have purposely sought out. Yet here I am. I’ve been in an LDR for 8 months (known each other for 9 months). We met on Twitter as friends and somehow it turned into an LDR. I’m in the US and he is in Saudi Arabia.

I love him more than I thought a person could love someone they never met. We chat everyday between WhatsApp and text messaging. We have gotten to know so much about each other and our lives. We send pictures and videos of places we go and where we live. We know each other‘s work schedules. So much so that even if we’re not actively chatting he will message me when he knows I’m leaving work to tell me to drive safe and that he loves me. We ask about each other‘s families. He remembers little things like when my daughter has dance. If he knows me or my kids are sick, he checks in throughout the day to see how we are doing, and I do the same for him. When his uncle passed away from Covid, I was the first person he messaged even though he knew I was asleep. He sent me flowers for no reason before. He sent me a gift on Valentine’s Day, which was very unexpected. He recently purposely set his alarm so he could wake up early enough to be the first person to wish me a happy birthday. He sends me the sweetest messages and talks to me in a way that I am just not used to. We have also had our rough patches and arguments but have learned to work through them and always make sure that we make up before we go to sleep. Everything about this relationship feels real and like we were meant to be.

I do have some reservations. For one, I am eight years older than him. I have five children ranging in age of 7 to 23 from two different relationships. One of which was a marriage that ended in divorce. I have tattoos and piercings. Needless to say, this makes me concerned about whether his family will accept me.

The other thing I am struggling with right now is that we still have not video chatted. We have exchanged selfies. But I have never seen his face or heard his voice. I recently confronted him about it and he said it’s not something he typically likes to do or is comfortable with. He said he is shy but he will try to do this soon for me.

I guess what I’m hoping to get out of this forum is advice and support on how to handle my trust issues, my insecurities, his family, the lack of video chatting, and just overall missing him and managing the distance. Also, he wants to meet in December so any advice on how to prepare for that would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Hi Him_and_I,
    I met my SO online and we chatted for a couple of months before we had video chatted. We made an amazing connection the first time we chatted (text) online. But after a while I felt I needed to see her. You can only tell so much by photos and there is a lot that could be hidden.
    Have you spoken to each other on the phone yet?
    You need to see each other and interact in real time, to make sure he is who he says he is. Because how do you know he's not 70, or 17, or looks completely different or gets angry easily or so many different things.
    Vid chat, and apart from anything else, it is so much better than texts once you do it. I love nothing more than to see my SO and hear her voice when we are apart.

Comment

Working...
    X