Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! I'm new! :)

Hi everyone!

I just joined yesterday as I was looking for LDR advice online and thought it might be a good idea to join a website specifically for people in LDR's. I knew I wanted a website with a forum that was pretty active and when I came across this site, it looked like exactly what I was looking for!

To introduce myself, my name is Rebecca and I have been with my boyfriend for almost a year and a half now. I met my boyfriend during my senior year of high school and had feelings for him immediately. We became close friends fast, but going to separate schools about 350 miles apart the next fall made starting a relationship difficult. We did not tell each other about our feelings for another until the end of our first year at college. We decided that the distance for the next few years while being at school would be impractical for starting a relationship at that time. We decided to wait until after college was over to see if we still had feelings for one another and wanted to be in a relationship. We continued to be close friends though so close that it seemed like we were a couple. I still had a lot of feelings for him, yet tried to move on, thinking that it would never work out.

Fast forward about a year and a half later. I invited my boyfriend to a formal event at my school that is held each year. I didn't think he would say yes, but it turned out that he wanted to go and drove 6 hours down to see me. Right around that time, we started talking about having a relationship though we kept telling each other that we would wait and see what would happen. We would spend hours talking on the phone on weekend nights. When my roommates and friends would go out to parties, I found myself staying back more often just to talk to my boyfriend for hours and hours. My friends thought it was silly that we weren't actually calling ourselves a couple even though it was very clear we should have long ago. Finally, that summer we decided to make it official. We both graduated from college a year later.

Unfortunately, we are still very much long distance. He took a job in Virginia and I just started a 5-year doctoral program in Philadelphia. We looked at our options this past year to see if there were ways to eliminate the distance, but it was impossible to find something for both of us in the same location for now. We will have to tackle being in an LDR for several more years, however it is not as daunting as it may seem. We are very much used to it. For the 5 years that I have known my boyfriend, we have been long distance for 4 of those years. I know it will be worth the wait in the end. In the meantime, I am very much looking forward to getting (and giving) advice to others in an LDR.

I look forward to meeting all of you and hearing your stories!!

Welcome to the LFAD site! :]

Comment

Welcome to the site - lots of friendly people and definitely an active site!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD Rebecca! This is one active community

Comment

Welcome to the site!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD. A lot of folks are working through a situation similar to yours - you'll find lots of great advice and support here.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Welcome! This place is great for advice and giving advice.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!
                First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Becca, welcome to LFAD
                  In a relationship with

Read mine & Tanja's story here!

My Albums:
                  Summer 2009 / Xmas 2009
                  Summer 2010: Part 1 & Part 2
                  My dog Sam ♥

Comment

Hi Rebecca! welcome to the forms! I'm Jessica
                    Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD dear.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD and good luck with everything! I'm loving your attitude You'll be together in the end and it'll sooooooooo be worth it ♥

Comment

Hey Rebecca, welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!
                            NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                            X