A pink elephant and a puppy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A pink elephant and a puppy

First off, I just want to say that I'm glad this site exists and that I'm absolutely happy to meet all of you and look forward to making new friends as well.

I'll have to go into the details of my LDR another time - but basically..

I am Pink Elephant, from the Midwestern part of the United States. The sig oth is a wonderful Scottish gentleman from southwestern Scotland, who I've nicknamed as Puppy.

Once upon a time, when SkypeMe, a function on Skype where you could call random people who wanted to be called, was available, I found Puppy's profile absolutely fascinating (I wanted to know what "haggis" was) on a random night during midterms while I was in my third year of university.

I messaged him, he replied a day later. We could not shut each other up for the next two years that we were friends. At points I would wake up at ungodly hours during the night and giggled in makeshift blanket tents while speaking to him during the late hours on Skype.

In my final year of university after I came back from a two-week trip to Germany, he confessed his feelings and for the first time, he missed me. That's when things started. In response, I graduated from university, and moved to Japan for work. I lived in the land of the rising sun for three years while he continued university. We did everything we could to stay together. He visited me in Japan twice, I visited him four times throughout my three years of work.

But there were other problems: I loved Japan so much, that the thought crossed my mind of extending my work visa. Did I want to find another job and continue to live in the country I had so much passion about? Did I want to spend more time living in a foreign country alone and without him?

He just graduated this year. I chose him. I finished my contract in Japan and moved back to the states. As his own graduation present, he came to visit me. We had the most wonderful time of our lives for three months here in my home country. Unfortunately, he returns to Scotland tomorrow. I don't regret my decision to be with him one bit.

It's because of him, though, that I found out a lot about myself. I actually used to be the shyest wallflower in this entire galaxy. He's just about the only person I've ever known to get me to talk longest, about anything, and comfortably. He also has made me realize my true potential and helped me to discover what I would like to study for graduate school. Not to mention he wears a kilt from time to time. I mean, come on!

Sorry for the long story. But thanks for your patience and time to those of you who read! Wishing all of you in a LDR all the best!

P.S. About the title: Because I am unable to understand British sarcasm sometimes , he indicates his [formerly constant] usage of sarcasm with a brief 5-second pause, then "pink elephant." Puppy comes from when he bought a new laptop and asked me what he should name it, when I said that the combination of something frightening with something cute was always successful - thus stemmed the name "Thunder Puppy" or "puppy" for short.

Welcome to LFAD, love a man that can rock a kilt. My brothers insist on wearing them from time to time! Wishing you all the very best.

Comment

Welcome to the forums! What a lovely story, I really enjoyed reading it.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

Thank you for sharing your story! I enjoyed reading it! Welcome!
        NY to Texas Married on...August 17th, 2013

Comment

Welcome to LFAD and cute story!

Comment

Welcome to the forums!!! Thanks for sharing your story! It's adorable

Comment

Loved the story! Welcome to LFAD!
              First conversation 11.5.09 First meeting 11.7.10 Closed the distance 5.14.14 Married 6.14.14

https://lovingfrom5000miles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Pink elephant! thanks for sharing your story, I enjoyed it
                Welcome to the LFAD forums!
                Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

Thank you, everyone, for making me feel so welcome, warm, and fuzzy inside.

I had to see him off at the airport today, so things are a bit tough. This is our seventh and hopefully final (or at least second to final) time that we'll have to go through this, though.

No more goodbyes.

Comment

Originally posted by pink elephant View Post
                    Thank you, everyone, for making me feel so welcome, warm, and fuzzy inside.

I had to see him off at the airport today, so things are a bit tough. This is our seventh and hopefully final (or at least second to final) time that we'll have to go through this, though.

No more goodbyes.
                    Aw that's so good to hear! I hope everything works out to where you can close the distance
                    Join the Photography Group Today!

Comment

Aww your story was lovely! Welcome to LFAD, Pink Elephant!

Comment

Working...
                      X