A little story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little story.

So I've been around for a while now, but I've never really done an introduction. This is our story.

Once upon a time, there was a video game. It was called Star Wars Galaxies, and in its day, it was a very entertaining and popular game. She was a Star Wars geek, easily, and an MMO addict, so it was a no brainer for her to start playing it very soon after she had heard about it. She loved roleplaying, so she did. The character she played was an aristocrat who ran away from home, only to return later to find her parents victims of the Empire. She roamed from planet to planet, becoming more and more of a name. Jespe Lorrn meant something, especially in Theed Cantina, her usual hangout. She became a well-established dancer and quite the heartbreaker. One day, she decided to toy with one of the young renegade Jedi that wandered into the cantina. He was taken with her, and more to amuse herself than to amuse him, she sold herself into slavery for the pretty necklace he wore.

She still has it.

She didn't know it would mean anything. Honestly, it was just a game, and any twists in the roleplay were for dramatic fun. Oklax, the guy from the cantina, introduced her to Tykar, his Dark Jedi Master. Tykar, a very honorable man, refused to let his apprentice have any sort of slave. Oklax was incredibly dismayed when Tykar told her she was dismissed. It could've all ended there, and there would be no story. He did, however, offer to take her on as another apprentice. What could be more fun than roleplaying a Jedi?! She jumped at the opportunity. Learning how to play a character class so drastically different from the social entertainer one was hard. She found herself spending more and more time on SWG, more and more time around Oklax and Tykar. Oklax in-game proposed to her one day, and she was hesitant to even offer a maybe. It was then a no, and as she also surpassed him in the Jedi apprentice roleplay, he became distant and eventually all but disappeared.

There was a lot more of the roleplay, really. Jespe ended up turning to the Light Side after an undercover spy mission, then going double agent to infiltrate Tykar's own roleplaying circle, effectively destroying his Dark order. All in all, her character Jespe was very cruel to his, but somehow the two agreed to keep pushing their characters into the same roleplay situation. In the end, she convinced him to repent and join the Jedi Order she was apart of, and even though it went against all his character's beliefs and he got a lot of grief from his friends about it.

She remembers exactly where it happened. They were sitting on a hill outside the main Jedi Temple, and he said, "You know I love you." It was a busy conversation, and she didn't see it until he nervously told her not to scroll up. She wasn't sure what he meant; only 12 at the time, even though extremely mature to the point of social isolation from her peers, she wasn't aware of anything more than friendship. She knew how old he was: 17, along with other personal details she never shared. So somehow, without knowing her name or the color of her hair or even if she was who she said she was, he fell in love with her.

Their story came to a tragic ending. Forcing herself to grow apathetic in fear of her feelings, she left the game for a month without a word. When she came back, he was concerned, but this was only temporary. She set him straight a little while later. To save them both the pain of loving each other when they could never be together, she told him she hated him, wanted nothing to do with him, and that this was all a game to her. They had never been friends outside of the roleplay. She hated him and wanted him to leave her alone forever. Of course, every word of it was a lie, and she hardly remembered what she had said after she had said it, only that she had completed her task.

He, on the other hand, didn't forget it. To this day he remembers it; he saved the in-game mail until he quit the game. He went into a depression for over a year, suffering intensely. He lost seventy pounds in this depression. He grew up in this depression, and she, in her own depression, grew up, too.

Her father realized they had never officially canceled their SWG accounts, and she taunted him with one night logged into the game, because there was a deep-seated loss within her. It had been over half a year. She mentioned the website she should have been surfing, and asked herself aloud why she was even here. They talk for over an hour, like old friends, and she promised to come back and talk again.

She didn't.

Clinging to this piece of information, the name of the website, he found it and he found her. Ironically, she had started a Star Wars roleplay on this site, using some of the same names. By some huge act of fate, he saw this and said hello to her, desperate to see where things stood with them. In his eagerness, he shot himself in the foot, giving her all the license she needed to make herself be afraid of him and his "obsession." So she lied again, saying she had no idea who he was. He apologized for the awkwardness, and a little while later, she apologized for the lying. She admitted she missed him, and they swapped MSN screennames. She promised to talk to him.

She didn't.

They occasionally used the site's PM system to communicate, but to no avail. It was small talk, catching up, "I have a girlfriend now", subtle bragging on both sides to show they'd moved on. They IM'd maybe seven times altogether, each of them promising to keep in touch. His name haunted her on her MSN list. She had heard the song "She Will Be Loved" many times when she played SWG, but she had never known its name and the radio man had never said it. Her best friend later confessed it as her favorite song, and she jumped at the name of it, listening to it on YouTube then buying it on iTunes and listening to it hundreds of times in days. The end, too, haunted her: "Don't try so hard to say goodbye."

Their most successful attempt to talk again was in July '09. They talk for three days straight, starting with her saying that the song reminded her of him. He asked why, she said she wasn't quite sure. So they talked, and it was lovely. He had met someone on the website she led him to, and though he had fallen out of love with her, he was trying to give her another chance. She felt nothing for him and was fine. Two months later she missed him somewhat and was deeply, deeply bored, so she said hi. One conversation and they were best friends again, magically confessing secrets to each other and playing the what-I-don't-know-about-you game until there was very little of it left to play.

They have talked nearly every day since September 19th.

Their first fight was stupid: she had upset his ex with a confessional post about their growing feelings for each other on that very same site, and the ex happened across it. They were not the same afterwards, and she frequently missed how they had been before her silly mistake. Many silly fights have happened since. He first had to get over the girl who had caused him to fall out of love with his ex, and for some months, she stayed beside him, feeling little for him other than an overpowering urge to see him happy. And then, when that didn't work out, and the ex broke up with her trophy boyfriend, there was the issue of their reunion, even as he entertained the idea of being with her herself. It went on this way, him devoting a great deal of emotion to the ex, then to her, then to the ex, then to her. The ex, considered fragile, wasn't allowed to know about them. She always seemed to come first, and the other she couldn't take it anymore.

So she left.

They lasted four whole days, an eternity of thinking and each hour a blur. They talked again, strictly friends at first. He told her he couldn't destroy the ex, so he had to be with her. She did little more than nod and ask why, and they talked, and got to the root of the problem. He wanted everyone happy but himself, and in the end he admitted he wanted a future with her more than with anyone else. They became exclusive, and the ex became all-knowing, and everything became more comfortable and relaxed, despite the added commitment.

All because of a video game.
    Last edited by Veiled_Dreamer; March 26, 2010, 02:47 PM.

What an interesting way to meet. How many people can say "Well sweetie, your dad and I met when I was dancing in a cantina sold myself for slavery." I think it's sweet. I tried it SWG, the SO at the time played it so I gave it a try. I was a dancer too!! {of course, I always pick the girliest thing possible in those games. L Enjoyed the story.

Comment

Cute story! Welcome here, i have enjoyed this place so far

Comment

Originally posted by BJL_Sweetheart1109 View Post
        What an interesting way to meet. How many people can say "Well sweetie, your dad and I met when I was dancing in a cantina sold myself for slavery." I think it's sweet. I tried it SWG, the SO at the time played it so I gave it a try. I was a dancer too!! {of course, I always pick the girliest thing possible in those games. L Enjoyed the story.
        Yeah, I always thought that if we do get married, I would just love for people to ask me about our story. I told my best friendl I thought it'd make a neat story or novel or something and she goes, "Jenna: writer first, lover second." XD Maybe it's true, haha.

Originally posted by agentholli View Post
        Cute story! Welcome here, i have enjoyed this place so far
        I've been around since before the switch from the old site, and I enjoy it very much too. =]

Comment

How original! I guess this really isn't a "welcome to the site" post, but thank you for sharing.

Comment

Neat

Comment

Wow, what a very cute story. I enjoyed reading it!

Comment

Working...
              X