Hello there

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello there

Just found this site all of around half an hour ago, after googling for LDR forums as it's just pretty tough at the moment.

First of all, it's good to be here, seems like a pretty good place with plenty of encouragment etc, which is really important, and it's good to be able to talk to other like-minded people who have an idea of what you're going through (but I'm sure you all know that) :P

Anyway, here's a run-down on my situation. I met my SO online in September 2004 on a Lion King forum after about a month or so he added me on msn and we just started talking constantly, almost every day, whenever I was at home, I was basically on the comp talking to him. Feb 23rd of 2005 we sort of had our official 'we're together' together where he asked me if I had a b/f and if he could be my b/f. Obviously I said no I did not, and yes he could. Fastforward over a year of voice chats, leading to video chats (which involved him lying to me about how he'd won a free webcam so therefore I had to get one too, when in actual fact he had bought it to get me to get one too ) and we were making plans for him to visit me.

This is where I realise that I forgot to mention that I live in South Australia, he lives in Florida, USA. So needless to say, there's a bit of distance there. He booked flights and we met in person on 13th June 2006. I was nervous as anything, but it felt right when I met him. He stayed for 2 months and then left. We then had several repeated visits of 3 month lengths, I visited over christmas 2006, he visited mid-year 2007, I visited christmas 2007, he visited mid-year 2008. Up until that point, our longest seperation after our initial meeting was around 4 months. We then decided that I would put off my next visit until I finished Uni (mid-year 2009) so that I could save more money and stay for 6 months. That gave us an 11 month seperation. Which was a real struggle, but it was of course worth it. I spent 6 months with him in the US and the returned home January 2010.

That was the last time I saw him, so we're going on 16 months now and it's been one hell of a struggle. I am visiting him at the end of July for another 6 months, so at the moment, we're counting down to that, even though I haven't book plane tickets yet.

So it's been almost 5 years since we first met, and hopefully we won't have to endure this much longer. Our intention during my upcoming visit is to figure out once and for all where we're heading and what we're going to do about the situation. Because we both know that we above everything, we don't want to go through such a long seperation again.

Apologies if that got a little long-winded. But at least you know where I stand now. I'm certainly not new to the long-distance thing, but I find that there's always new challenges to it and I'm really struggling with that now.

So yes... Hi!
    Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
    First met: June 13th 2006

Welcome! (:
    What goes on on a Lion King forum? I thought I was a big fan...
    And wow, 6 years! Is this long period of separation this time because you want to spend a longer time together?

Comment

lol, we discuss The Lion King, post fan-art and about sightings etc and the rest of it is random forum discussion, other movies, dreams, silly things etc :P We just went through a major crash a couple weeks ago and lost everything, but we're getting there. Link if you're interested: https://leahalalela.org/forum.php

Secondly, thanks for the welcome As for why it's such a long seperation, partly is yes because I'm visiting for 6 months again. But because of him having to move so he could study he had to leave his job. So when he usually would have visited me between my visits there, he couldn't afford to. So we've had to just skip a visit in a way. =/

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Comment

Welcome to the forums, we're all here to help!
          and wow, well done with dealing with the separation!

Distance doesn't matter when two hearts are loyal to each other.

Comment

Welcome to the forums! I am glad you guys are back together again. And I hope that on this upcoming visit you guys are able to determine when you are closing the distance =)

Comment

Welcome to LFAD.

I found this site when i was curious about something going on in my LDR.
              never would have known other people were going through the same stuff.
              This site has helped me so much and im sure you'll like it too.
              sigpic

Comment

Welcome to the forum!:-)

Comment

Thanks for all the welcomes guys, much appreciated

Comment

welcome to the forums ^^

Comment

Welcome to the forums! Hope you like it here.
                      "Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue,
                      a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them
                      which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky."
                      - Rainer Maria Rilke

"An invisible red thread connects those who are destined to meet,
                      regardless of time, place, or circumstance.
                      The thread may stretch or tangle, but it will never break."
                      - an ancient Chinese belief

Comment

First of all, can I just say how much I love the fact that you met on a Lion King forum!? That is a story for the kids, right there.

WELCOME!!!
                        Live.Laugh.Love.ALWAYS.

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Butterfly View Post
                          First of all, can I just say how much I love the fact that you met on a Lion King forum!? That is a story for the kids, right there.

WELCOME!!!
                          lol, yes. My best friend takes great delight in telling other friends of hers she introduces me to that my SO and I met on a Lion King forum, lol. I just usually call it a movie forum

Comment

Working...
                          X