Introduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction

Hi I'm just introducing my self and giving some background. I usually don't go on forums but I feel like it offers some comfort to be with people who are going through the same situation as me.

So just a background I am from Australia and have met my fiance online on a language app called hellotalk back in the beginning of 2019. She is from Algeria. I started to learn arabic with her and we quickly fell in love with each other. Then covid started and both our countries closed. So we waited for 2 years before we decided to tell our parents. Every single day we would call and sleep with each other. We were in love so much and couldn't even sleep without each other. Unfortunately both our countries are really strict with the border restrictions and we were always feeling sad that we couldn't be together in real. However last month the Australian government finally opened their borders to international vaccinated travellers. The problem is getting a visa to Australia is not easy and takes a long long time. We decided that I will go to her country first and visit her. I was so excited when we made the trip to the Algerian embassy in Australia. It took awhile to collect all the required documents for a visa to her country. Unfortunately her country is really strict too and to get married there I had to bring many documents. When I arrived at the algerian embassy they told me that they are not giving visas for toursit. This was a dagger to my heart. All that excitement disappeared. On the way home I was thinking how I will give this bad news to my fiance who was waiting for me. When I did it broke her heart and she became cold. We were heartbroken after waiting for 2 years only to be rejected. The embassy was very bad as they did not mention on their website they are not giving tourist visas. Furthermore the Australian travel also mentioned that algeria is open for toursit. I decided to contact other algerian embassies around the world and they responded by saying that algeria is open to toursit. So I was really upset why Australians can't go to algeria but other foreigners can.

Our relationship is not the same anymore. We love each other so much. We cant live without each other. But we are hurting. Too much. So she decided that we should not talk to each other and wait till July 2022. If the algerian embassy still don't want to give us a toursit visa then there is only one thing we can do. Separation. We want to love agian but we are really scared in case we get hurt agian like before.

This sounds really challenging. I know how heartbreaking it can be to have unmet expectations about the one thing you want the most and can't stop thinking about.

Is it possible for you to meet in a third country?
    sigpic

Comment

It is possible we can meet in another country. But it is not possible to get married legally. Unfortunately her country last year made new rules saying that you can only marry in another country if they have residency in that specific country. I wish I would have met her 1 year earlier. Because then I could have gotten married with her. The only options we have right now is waiting for her country to open to toursit. Or she getting accepted by my country (Australia) for a toursit visa to visit me. It's so hard for us. We want to call and love again but scared to get hurt agian. We will wait for July and if nothing happens we must separate.

Comment

A fellow Algerian friend of mine could marry her international bf last year in Turkey.

My bf and I are also waiting for Algerian visas mainly for him to meet my family. Try again in January. I'm not sure how you got the information about one of the spouses needing a residency in the country where they'll marry. Is it possible for people in Australia to register the marriage without the presence of the foreign party? For example, Korea sometimes allows marriage registrations with only a copy of the passport sent by the future spouse.

Maybe try to contact the Australian embassy in Algeria and tell them you're planning to marry an Algerian but have trouble with the visa.

I still think the residency requirement is a bit weird. I can't find any sources which state it as a requirement.

Comment

Working...
        X