No announcement yet.

Well, we first met in Kashyyyk...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I often used the term 'in real life' without really thinking about it. It's just a piece of Internet slang that's been around forever, and I think most people use it simply as a way of saying 'in person', without the intention of disparaging the 'online world'. In fact, people who use it are quite often gamers, keyboard jockeys, IT geeks and anyone else who practically lives online. So I took it as a tongue in cheek phrase more than anything else.

It's only when I came here that I became aware of how insensitive it sounded in this context. I still slip up, but I try to watch it.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

I hate that term too. Bugs me a hell of a lot. If someone says it i answer "We met IN PERSON" (emphasis the in person part). I might just be more senseitive about it because i got a lot of sh*t about it all at school, and i mean a lot.

Comment

Happy Birthday to Enrique!!!!!

As for the wording, yea, it can be annoying. But it is just that, wording. I don't think people, most people anyway, are meaning it in a way as to say he isn't real. Just correct them as to face to face or in person when you respond to them. They should get the hint.
        Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Working...
        X