Update Us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Us!

Hey, everyone! I feel so out-of-touch with the community, since I just got back from my Christmas/New Year's trip with my SO last night. I still miss her terribly, and right after the visit ends is always tough, but I'm happy to have this place to come back to, filled with people who know what it's like. Hope everyone's been doing well. ^^

So, I originally wanted to make this thread to hear about how everyone is doing, how the holidays have treated you all, etc., but then I thought a general thread for updating the community on how you're doing/what's going with you/your relationship/your SO, etc. might be useful. Just think of it as a place to basically share what's been happening with you, but might be things that don't necessarily warrant an entire thread. :3 Feel free to ask general questions, start discussions, share your woes, and the like.

A question to kick it off...how is your New Year treating you so far?

So far, the New Year has been going a lot better than 2011. I made several changes already. I transferred colleges, and I quit my job...I'm now working another job, for my SO's next door neighbor. I'm a mother's helper to her 2 year old and 4 year old daughters. I start my new school in a week, so I'm excited and nervous! I changed my major also, which was a big move for me. My SO was home for 3 weeks and went back last Sunday. It's been very hard since he went back; we miss each other terribly! It's tough also because we don't get to talk nearly as much while he's away. He's actually been in my dreams every night since he went back to school. The dreams are so nice, but they make me miss him even more lol. He originally was supposed to be coming back home on March 1st, so we'd be apart for 53 days. That was going to be one of the longest amounts of time spent apart from one another and I felt like I wouldn't be able to get through it. But, I decided to reassess my financial situation, and I realized I had a little more than I thought, so I could afford an extra trip between now and the time he comes home! I'm going to be booking my flight in the next few days, whenever there is a sale on the tickets. I'm flying up to Rochester to visit him for a weekend on February 3rd, 19 days from now! Then, he'll be home for a week about 25 days after I get home. That'll be good because his birthday falls that week. He's still waiting to buy his tickets...he can't afford them right now, and he was in a fight with his mom when he was home, so he's waiting for that to simmer a bit. After that, I'll be flying back up there around March 30th for a 4 or 5 day visit during my spring break. So, that's the dealio with me lol.

"Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches."

Like a drum, my heart never stops beating for you.

Comment

Well that sounds great loveknowsnodistance27. Im glad that the new year is treating you great and that you have set plans to visit your SO often.
      As for me, life is pretty good right now too. Im back in NY which is always hard after seeing my love. The first few weeks are always the hardest =(. But we've been talking a lot and sorting out some kinks in our relationship, mostly having to do with ending the distance. Im feeling a little confused on what I want right now and whether he can give it to me. But Im happy that we are healthy enough to be talking about it. Also, I finally met his family during the holidays =-D. It was so great and they were all so incredibly nice, which I hadn't expected. I was able to meet his roommates and sleep in his bed. It was incredible! It feels so different to know what it looks like rather than imagine it when he tells me stories.
      Im on the wards for med school, met my SO's family and talking about ending the distance, and my family is silly and happy as ever... This is a great year so far.

Comment

2011 is....interesting so far. It started amazing. I was with my SO for Christmas and New Years. It was our first visit and it was everything I could have ever wanted and more. And then I had to leave which was the most difficult experience of my life. I miss him tremendously. I've had some difficulties with my family as the year anniversary of my parents split came up and they are trying to finalize the divorce and settle some finances. I'll be starting another semester of school in about 3 weeks and I'm REALLY trying to find a new job. It's the one thing I need. I'm not making enough money right now to go visit my SO again anytime soon and I would like to move out to be with him in about 6 months so I've rally got to get to saving some money. I'm extremely frustrated that my current boss keeps shortening m schedule and as a result I have no money. As soon as I find a job I will be able to start planning our next visit and to move out there and begin our life together, so for now that's whats ont he agenda.

Finding myself.

Comment

My boyfriend scored a full time job and he starts in almost 12 hours! This means that hopefully we'll be seeing each other before June! That's the best thing so far of 2012 for us

Comment

The new year started off rocky for me and HBB, really rough and things looked less than hopeful for us. However, that blew over a lot quicker than I thought it would and left us stronger for it. I got accepted into a LNA training course and I will be starting it when HBB goes into Sandhurst in May so I will have a distraction. Another high point is it looks like he will be visiting sooner than expected...a lot sooner. He should be, if all works out, visiting in April for a whole month. We just talked tonight and it looks like when he visits in April it will be when he has 'the talk' with my dad to ask for my hand. So overall, its going amazingly and I could not be happier

Comment

This year has started.... interesting? I have a lot of plans for this year, and a lot is happening. My SO is coming to visit again in 2 and a half months, and then a month later I'll be going there for 5! Im excited, but my parents are not. I told them a week ago, and things have been..... hard. So things have been a bit crazy with my family. As far as me and my SO, were doing good.He is been keeping busy, he's been working at uni on different projects, and he's so talented. (Today was a treat to see his work) But still has time for me daily, we do have our ups and downs, but we always find our way back up. I miss him, i don't think i've fully adjusted back to being LD, and i don't know if i ever will now, these past months have been hard without him. But Im hoping we'll end the distance soon. Looking forward to our day tuesday
              I love you Nathan <3
              sigpic
              5/25/09 <3

Comment

This year has been amazing so far. I visited my SO for a month around Christmas and New Years. We bickered but didn't fight often which was awesome since we're so stubborn. It was an awesome visit but so hard to leave him.
                The week that I left and this week he's been discussing our future a lot, even setting a potential month/year for our wedding. Just potential because we're young and it's far off but it looks like June of 2014, after I graduate. I'm excited Engagement is far off though because he wants to ask my father and continue to save for the wedding and rings.
                But it's been great! My friend from Jersey is visiting me in Florida which is fun!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

This is cool, to hear what everyone's been up to and give me a chance to say what's happening with my SO and I. This year has started alright, I basically had to formalize a plan on how to save enough money to visit him for a few months this summer, because previously things kept coming up that ate away at my finances, but now I am making myself put away a certain amount each paycheque, in a special spot which I dare not touch except for when I buy my ticket/change it into GBP. It's going alright except that I got less hours this month because it's the slowest month at the restaurant and stuff.. but I'm going to hopefully have enough for a ticket in March (It's going to be part of my SO's birthday present, me buying the ticket!!) and then save money for spending, etc March-May, and also with my tax return which will all go towards the trip, I feel really confident about being able to save enough, so I feel good about that. I just get a bit low when I think about how I previously hadn't been so great with saving... things kept coming up (new laptop, had to use lots of skype credit when SO's internet was down, and helping my parents with an extra expense..) so I'm okay now, and I know I will be going there this summer, though I realized I'll miss my cousin's wedding but I plan on getting them something special from the U.K. and I'm not that close with her so it'll be okay. That's basically what is happening with my SO and I.. I'm finishing up my first term of online university courses so it's kinda exciting, and another reason I couldn't work as much right now but after February, they will be over so I can work and earn and save a bunch more. That's basically what's going on with my SO and I. I also started working on a pattern for a crocheted blanket... I'm pretty proud of how that's turning out too.

Comment

Things been going good so far, submitted my first assignment for university which was kinda daunting, I won't know the results until 6 days after my birthday which is annoying and seems years off! Lectures started up again in the most mind boggling way possible, with an all day lecture on cell biology (I think my brain melted at the end of the day lol). Getting my driving license fixed up and considering my passport, and things on Chris's end seem OK to some extent, but there's hardly been any improvement since his parents are still being the same as usual! But on the whole it's been OK, I'm just gearing up for my birthday which is in 2 weeks or so, I can't wait but at the same time I'm slightly dreading it. Just wish it could have been like the start of last year but there we go.

Comment

The year isn't starting off too great. I've been really bummed having to live at home and do nothing besides go to school. It's hard having all my friends from school go out and have fun and I'm just sitting in my room studying every night. One of my best friends is getting sicker and sicker with her chronic pain disorder and can hardly hang out. My other good friend is putting her boyfriend constantly before me so I feel like I'm losing her. It's been a pretty lonely start to the new year. My SO was supposed to come visit next week actually, but he couldn't use the car so we have to wait till february. I miss him so much. School is daunting, I'm really nervous about some of my classes. The last 7 months have been the toughest of my life so I'm hoping things will start easing up soon.

Comment

Originally posted by sarahbear View Post
                        The year isn't starting off too great. I've been really bummed having to live at home and do nothing besides go to school. It's hard having all my friends from school go out and have fun and I'm just sitting in my room studying every night. One of my best friends is getting sicker and sicker with her chronic pain disorder and can hardly hang out. My other good friend is putting her boyfriend constantly before me so I feel like I'm losing her. It's been a pretty lonely start to the new year. My SO was supposed to come visit next week actually, but he couldn't use the car so we have to wait till february. I miss him so much. School is daunting, I'm really nervous about some of my classes. The last 7 months have been the toughest of my life so I'm hoping things will start easing up soon.
                        I can relate to this. I'm really stressing out about my classes this semester and living at home has been rough lately. My best friend goes to college in a different state, and of course my SO isn't here with me, so I spend most of my time alone, at home, studying. I've gotten used to it, not being a very social person, but it sure doesn't help time move any faster. My relationship with my girlfriend is wonderful, but I think our next visit is a long way off and that makes me worry.

Comment

First: sarahbear, I'm so sorry. I just felt like giving you a virtual hug. *hugs*

Now, this year, in the tradition of last year, has been great for me thus far. I'm in love, I just moved (SO much unpacking to do), and I'm starting to formulate plans for my future after graduation (1 1/2 years). I just got back from Ireland about a month ago, so it's been interesting readjusting to my old routines, but I have had nothing but blessings since I got back. When I was in Ireland (I was studying abroad there; that's how I met my SO), we went through a rough patch in our relationship, where he was having doubts about the impending distance and just wasn't talking to me. I went through a period of intense self-realization then, and I realized, among other things, that I want this next year to be a year of cultivation for me. So, spending time doing things I care about and that will forward my future happiness, not wasting time on useless crap. I've been growing even closer to my SO (I think the distance heightened our communication, actually), and I'm about to start university (tomorrow!), so it'll be interested readjusting to that. I just landed two more jobs, and I'm planning to go back to Ireland with my SO for the whole summer! It makes the distance WAY more bearable, and if I could have seen myself this time last year, I would NEVER have expected to be where I am right now. I am so, incredibly happy. I plan on focusing on school, my relationships with friends and family, especially my SO, getting back into shape, working my ass off to pay off some college debt, spending the summer in Ireland, my novel, and somehow learning how to cook better! I have SO many plans, and I'm just excited to wake up every day and realize them.

What a wonderful world, yes?
                          "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

2012 has been a mixed blessing. my by proposed to me which is awesome, but his health has taken a serious downturn.

Comment

What a neat thread, I also like to hear about everyone's plans and New Year. Me and my SO have hit the final leg of our LDR. I have one semester left of graduate school and will be done in May. At that point, I would like to move to him and find a job. He is still in graduate school and is trying to transfer up to a better program this year. We could end up staying in virginia, or possibly moving to north carolina, pennsylvania, or washington dc. We won't know till he hears back about rejections/acceptances. I have already started packing up my apartment and am starting to think about selling some extra furniture. My parents want me to move back to my hometown and both my SO and I would really like to but I don't know if he will get into the school there. If all goes to plan (which it never does hahaha) we will probably be engaged by the end of the year and moved back into together, so exciting but also nerve-wracking. I just simply cannot wait to say goodbye to that awful pit in my stomach I get everytime we say goodbye or everytime I miss out on something important happening where he is. I def. took it for granted when we used to live together and I never will again. I talked to a friend today who has spent one night away from her husband throughout their entire five year marriage and I was stunned. Sometimes things seem so unfair but I am proud of what we have accomplished. So anyway, I hope everyone else's New Year will be better than the last.

Comment

Working...
                              X