Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused?

Hello everyone,
    I have a rather long story, but I'm at the point to where I'm questioning exactly what I'm doing in my life.
    I met my current 'girlfriend' in Korea.(I'm in the Army.) We'll call her Jane. She's an Irish-born girl that decided to go teach English in Korea. We hit it off great and were mad about each other. Like most things good, all has to come to an end though. I had to leave Korea in November 2011 and she was meant to be coming back to Ireland in February 2012. I made a big decision and decided to request to come to Germany to give Jane and I a chance at really making it work. (my contract in Germany is for 3 years)

As the last few months dwindled down, both of us were pretty confident that we were going to really make this work. We could visit each other once or twice a month on weekends and, in my mind at least, maybe we'd get married. I gave her a promise ring before I left. (I know it doesn't really have too much value when you're older, but it was the thought that mattered for me.) I've told her I want to marry her and meet all her family and friends.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago. Jane had just gotten back from a vacation with some friends and she came up with a random (to me) idea. She decided she would extend until June in Korea and then go to Australia in September.

(A little background for people that don't know much about the UK and Ireland. Apprarently, many Irish and English folk leave and move to Australia for jobs and vacation. Almost all of Jane's friends are in Australia now. Also, Ireland is in a massive recession, much worse than the US. So theres not many jobs.)

This was the first time she ever even MENTIONED the idea of living in Australia. She always told me that she would never go there. So, I was really angry and upset about it because it felt like she was giving up on the idea of us. Here I am, counting down to February for her to get here and then she basically ripped it from my hands. It felt like someone ripping away a toy from a baby. I could not believe it.

Before we get too far ahead, let me tell you her choices for the next 1-3 years. She really wants to be a teacher, but she needs 1 more year of college to finish. She didn't get accepted for this year's program though. So, A. move back to Ireland and try her best to find work and have the opportunity to stay within a reasonable distance to me. B. I proposed to her on Skype (I know, lame.) But it was one of the best webcam proposals to date So, live in Ireland for a few months, then marry me. (Money wouldn't be an issue because of the military.) C. Move to Australia where there is jobs and her friends, but no me and no true career-like jobs. It'd basically be a lot of partying and good times, which honestly isn't a bad thing. The fact is that I thought we had a commitment.

Her reasoning for not coming to Germany and marrying me right now is that she wouldn't be able to work and she'd have no friends, but personally I think this is a load of shit.. She's currently in Korea for almost a year now and she has only a few friends. She tells me that if I wasn't in Germany for 3 years, then we could make it work. She said she would have lived with me in the US, but not here. But thats total bullshit.... The whole reason I chose to come here was so that we would have a chance at making it work. I feel like I'm getting stabbed in the back.

As of right now, she told me that we're not in a relationship because of circumstances so technically, we're single. She tells all her friends that shes single, but yet we still talk almost every day on Skype and we still say 'i love you.'

Now, I know I'm making her out to look like a total bitch, but shes not at all. She's the most wonderful person I've ever met, but I think shes just not interested in keeping the relationship going right now. I honestly can't handle this situation. I've made multiple attempts to get SOME kind of sure answer from her, but she gives me nothing. I have vacation in July and I mentioned coming to visit her in Ireland and she basically shot it down right away. She said we shouldn't make any commitments right now. I think she thinks of me as just one of her friends now... I'm so confused. Every time I try to bring it up, she says the same thing.

I would really like to hear other people's personal experiences with a similar situation? A woman's advice would be even better! Sorry, I kind of write this really fast so if anything is unclear, just let me know and I'll add more details. I just want to know what I'm supposed to do?

Ok I just wanna be sure, but are you Irish born as well? As in you both grew up and have family in Ireland and both happened to be in Korea at the same time? How long were you together for before you left Korea in November? And from Korea you went back to Germany, or Ireland?

If it's a new relationship, and I was in her shoes, and my SO asked me to move to Germany where I had no friends and family and I didn't know the language, and wouldn't be able to work, or study or do anything else except wait at home for my SO all day long, I probably would say no as well.

Are you two still able to visit each other if she goes to Australia? What about the time between June and September? Is she able to come visit you? Sorry I'm just trying to get a clearer picture.

You need to talk to her properly and ask her why she does not want to retain the relationship "title". Does she not think it can work? If you two visit each other again sometime this year, it shouldn't be too hard. Many LDR couples go for years without closing the distance with only a few visits in between.

I know titles can be bad sometimes, but if she's away from you on holiday and telling everyone she's single, there's got to be another reason? You can't continue to tell each other that you love each other and still be single. Well not in my opinion anyway, you're either in a relationship or you're not.

Comment

It sounds to me like she doesn't want to be in LDR, which i understand, I didn't want to be in one either. But here I am 6 months later 3000 miles away and 100% in love! It is a lot to ask someone to keep up with a LDR, I think both people need to really know what they want out of life and they both need to be going in the same direction. I had plans to move to Cali when I met my bf, unfortunately it was going to be 1 - 1.5 years away. So far we have been able to see each other for a few weeks every 2 months until now and I don't know when I will see him again.

It would be helpful to know your ages. My father was career military so I am familiar with your situation. I am 36 and my bf is 42 so we are older and had plenty of relationship experience and just so happen to really be made for each other. I have no problem waiting on him and he has no problem with waiting on me.

Every situation is different. I was in 1 other LDR and it only lasted about 3 months. It wasn't because he didn't want to be with me. In fact he called the other day to see if i wanted to go sailing to the Bahamas. It was never ME he couldn't handle, it was the LDR and I understood because it's very difficult as you are discovering.

I am hopeful that I will be moving in 6 months, I also am seeing a therapist for other issues as well but he helps me deal with the distance. This is the most difficult thing in a relationship I have ever dealt with. Good luck and I hope I said something helpful.

Andi~

Comment

@Zapookie:
        I'm American and I was stationed in Korea. We were dating for 8 months when I left and I changed location to Germany and I'll be here for the next 3 years.

Technically, yes I could go visit her in Australia, but at max, I only get two weeks of vacation every 6 months. Sometimes only two weeks a year. Honestly, shes horrible with money so I can't see her ever coming to visit here. I've already asked her about seeing each other this summer when she comes back for those 3 months, but she kind of shot it down. She said we shouldn't make any commitments to that until it's closer to that time.

I've brought up the 'title' issue multiple times and each time, she gives me the same response. She doesn't see us as a real relationship unless we're able to be physically together. Honestly, I feel like shes slowly transitioning me to the 'friend' zone.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

[/COLOR

Comment

@Andi:
          I'm 21 and she's 24. I think the same thing. I don't think she wants to be in a LDR.

My issue is, what am I supposed to do now? Do I keep trying to talk to her like she's my girlfriend? I can't handle just talking to her like a friend right now. Its honestly too soon and I'm just not used to being just a friend. And do I keep trying to plan times to see each other or do I try and move on with my life and maybe take a break from talking to her? I've tried bringing this issue up with her and I feel like she keeps avoiding the conversation. She just keeps saying things similar to 'We'll see what happens'

Comment

I am so sorry this is happening to you. Seems like she wants to live her life, without you on it. I know it is easier said than done, but you should ignore her for a while, stop talking to her, to see what her reaction will be. As long as you keep eating on her hands, she will feel like no matter what she does or says you will be there in the end waiting for her.

so she can have you as a plan B.
            our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone. I just had a long heart-to-heart with her and I think I've realized what I need to do. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
              X