How do you approach the subject?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you approach the subject?

In my opinion, age is just a number. It's more the maturity of a person. However, my family doesn't see it that way and I am talking to a guy who is 5 years younger than me and I know if I tell my mom about him, she's going to ask how old he is. In which, she will then nag me about how young he is and how immature he must be. Which isn't the case, he is very mature for his age. How can I bring up his age without her going off about how young he is?

Can we ask how old you are?
    Got together Jan 3, 2011~ Closed the Distance March 23, 2012~ Living Together Since June 19 2012~ Future TBD......

I miss you more than I ever could have believed; and I was prepared to miss you a good deal." ~ Vita Sackville-west

Comment

Oh sorry... i'm 23, he's 18

Comment

You can't really control how others are going to react, so you're best option is to just control your reaction to hers. If she makes comments, then tell her it's not really open for discussion. You're an adult, and since you have mommy in your username, I'm assuming you have a child. Maybe consider that her concerns would be for your child(ren) and an 18 year old guy not typically being ready to take that on? In that case, maybe you can adjust your reactions accordingly. All parents want what is best for their children - no matter how old their children are!

Comment

Well if you tell your mom about him, you don't have to say anything more than that he is just a friend online who you talk to often. If you say it like that, hopefully it shouldn't matter what age he is. You then can explain to her how you think he is very mature for his age and how much you enjoy talking to him, and that he is JUST a friend

I told my mum that my SO was just my friend for a long time, so she would get familiar with the idea of him. He is two years older than me though.

Comment

Originally posted by blankita719 View Post
            You can't really control how others are going to react, so you're best option is to just control your reaction to hers. If she makes comments, then tell her it's not really open for discussion. You're an adult, and since you have mommy in your username, I'm assuming you have a child. Maybe consider that her concerns would be for your child(ren) and an 18 year old guy not typically being ready to take that on? In that case, maybe you can adjust your reactions accordingly. All parents want what is best for their children - no matter how old their children are!
            Pretty much sums up what I was going to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapookie View Post
              Well if you tell your mom about him, you don't have to say anything more than that he is just a friend online who you talk to often. If you say it like that, hopefully it shouldn't matter what age he is. You then can explain to her how you think he is very mature for his age and how much you enjoy talking to him, and that he is JUST a friend

I told my mum that my SO was just my friend for a long time, so she would get familiar with the idea of him. He is two years older than me though.
              You are all right. I will try and not confront her if she does happen to say something about his age. It always seems to happen though even if he is older than me. She thinks I should be with someone the same age as me.

And also, I probably will just introduce him as a friend. At least until things get more serious, right not technically that is all he is.

Thank you all

Comment

Originally posted by blankita719 View Post

that.

and do you have a child, rcknmommy?
                maybe your mother would just be concerned you would be dating a younger guy that maybe in her mind wouldn't be mature enough to deal with you having a kid or something?

either way, you are an adult, just be firm in your decision, and if your mother isn't the one finically supporting you. she doesn't really get a say on it, having just to respect your decision!
                our story.

sigpic

02.02.2012 - When we got married and closed the distance once and for all

"If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse."

Comment

Working...
                X