Promise rings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promise rings?

What do you guys think of promise rings? I think they're a great thing, especially for LDR couples because when you're wearing it out, people just assume you're in a relationship. Stephen and I both have rings and wear them every day. I know a lot of people think promise rings are silly or superficial.

What do you guys think?

First beautiful promise ring:

Recently he sent me this as an early birthday/early valentine's day/sorry you had to get your tonsils taken out present. I consider it a promise ring as well, because when I wear it, I know that it's for him, and for everyone to know I'm promised to someone.:

I don't have any pictures of Stephen's, because his camera isn't the best. But he has a silver one, with gold in the center that's etched very nicely.

I think they're a great thing. They signify that your relationships is serious and show that you are not available to others. Even if they aren't necessarily a promise of marriage in the future, I think they're great. My SO and I have claddagh rings and we wear them to show that we are taken, tho not engaged. We've talked about maybe getting nicer ones (ours were cheap, we're poor college students) when we get more serious, maybe even as our engagement/wedding rings if that is in store for us.
    I think they're a great idea, but not always for everyone.
    I like the blue one above... I prefer pretty, but not very ostentatious rings myself. Congratulations tho! This is a step in the right direction for you two

Comment

https://members.lovingfromadistance....525#post159525
      ^ A previous thread on this.

Both of those rings are pretty! I have one as well.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
      Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
      Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
      Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
      Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I personally wouldn't want one. I dont wear rings or any jewelry really and nor does he. He won't be wearing his wedding ring either unless special occasions i guess lol. I at least will wear the engagement and wedding band...if i aint at work. Which seems to be all the time : (

Comment

I think they're cute, but I am waiting for the real thing especially since we've been together for 3 years now i want more than a promise lol. I think it's definitely nice for couples are recently long distance because it means more. Those are really nice rings by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post
            https://members.lovingfromadistance....525#post159525
            ^ A previous thread on this.

Both of those rings are pretty! I have one as well.
            Oops! Sorry! Thank you. (:

Comment

Originally posted by bethyylovee View Post
              Oops! Sorry! Thank you. (:
              It's totally fine! Just letting you know there are a lot of opinions there

Comment

I really like promise rings. Both because I'm in an LDR, and because I'm in a same-sex relationship. When I say I have a girlfriend, a lot of people just assume I mean I have a friend who's a girl. I gave my SO a promise ring for our anniversary. It's just a plain silver band, but the symbolism's there. I mostly wanted to give it to her so she would have something to remember how much I love her, and that I'm not going to leave her for any reason. Being in an LDR is tough, but she's worth it.

Comment

I'd never even heard of them until I joined this site. I don't really understand the whole, "I promise to promise to marry you" thing, but different strokes for different folks.

Comment

Originally posted by greensweatergirl View Post
                    I'd never even heard of them until I joined this site. I don't really understand the whole, "I promise to promise to marry you" thing, but different strokes for different folks.
                    For my relationship, that's not its meaning. It's a promise to try to make this relationship work regardless of the distance. The only promise to get married in my relationship will be an engagement ring.
                    Plus, it's a beautiful piece of jewelry.

Comment

So...what is the meaning of a promise ring? Or is it different for each couple? A few people have mentioned that they want others to see them with their promise ring, so they know they're taken. But how do people know it's a promise ring? All the ones I've seen look completely different. I'm confused.

Comment

"Promise rings can mean any number of things. Most people assume they are just a baby-step toward marriage. This is not true in all cases. In this day and age, promise rings are popular among typically the youth making a promise to another. Not only can they be given by men, but they can be given by women as well.

Promises that are made can mean:

I will be faithful
                        I will return
                        I will keep a specific promise
                        I love you
                        I have intentions to marry you
                        I promise to be best friends
                        I will always be there for you
                        I will save myself for you
                        I promise to stay away from a vice
                        I promise to replace this ring with a larger stone when I can afford it
                        I promise to follow a certain religion
                        or it can even mean I promise to obtain a goal for myself."
                        - Ourpromiserings.com

Comment

Originally posted by floridaellen View Post
                          I promise to replace this ring with a larger stone when I can afford it
                          I enjoyed that one.

You learn something new every day. I just have one more question. Is there any way to distinguish a promise ring from a normal ring? Because a few people have said they like others to see they are taken when they wear their ring. But if I saw someone wearing one of the promise rings they'd posted I wouldn't assume "promise ring", I'd assume, "Oh, a nice piece of jewellry."

Comment

I love them and I think they're beautiful! I have a Claddaugh ring my SO bought as a surprise for me (from the original makers in Ireland [/end brag :P]--BEST. DATE. EVER.), and I wear it on my ring finger. I consider it a promise ring, if not an engagement ring, and I think it definitely helps those who are biased toward LDRs to see--oh, hey, there's a tangibility to this! Maybe she's not making this fella up! :P

I love love love the blue one as well!!
                            "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

I love them; I think they're a great idea and can be really beautiful. Since my SO is short on funds, I just switched a ring I normally wear all the time over to my ring finger. a) to show I'm taken and b) to remind myself everyday that I'm loved (something depression keeps me from remembering.) To be honest, I don't really expect one. I think if I get a ring, it'll include a diamond, and will be an engagment ring. He's not terriblely romantic but that's okay. Like I said, I have my own version.
                              My ring is very simple. It's gold, and very thin, and has a little dip in the middle. All stretched out it would look like this:
                              ----v----

Comment

Working...
                              X