Multiple LDRs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple LDRs

I was born and raised in Philadelphia, PA and graduated from a small college in middle of no-where PA. Since high school, volunteering has been a big part of my life. I also love to travel. So I jumped at the chance to volunteer for a year in North Carolina; I am currently serving as an AmeriCorps VISTA (a year long volunteer position best described as the domestic Peace Corps). When deciding to start my VISTA year I was very excited about living some where besides PA and being able to experience life in a different way. I knew being apart from my boyfriend (April will be two years) would be tough, but I also was/am confident that we could handle the distance. We were semi-distant before I came to NC when we weren't at college (he's from NY). We were "used" to the distance. It has been hard being a few states and long drive away, but part of me was prepared for that. I didn't prepare myself for the other LDRs that would be in my life. I seemed to over look how the distance would affect my relationship with my mom (we are super close as it as been just me and her since before I was one), or my BESTest friend in the world (she is 5 months younger than me and we've been best friends ever since), or my "brothers" (I'm an only child but I have two guy friends that have become so close to me that I consider them my brothers). So now I'm finding myself in 5 LDRs and it SUCKS. As anyone on this site may know, 1 LDR is hard enough. I haven't met many people outside of the 2 ladies I work with (they're awesome women and we do get together outside of the office, but they're both married and have their own families). I work on a college campus. Being that I graduated not even a year ago, I'm really close in age to all the students I work with, so things get a little awkward trying to "hang out" with them. As a VISTA you live on the poverty level and I was lucky enough to have the college supply me with an on campus apartment (in a dormroom but I have my own everything, own bedroom/kitchen/bathroom/livingroom), so I live in a "college town." I do not want to run into students at a bar (plus the bars in town are a bit sketch). The "city" I'm in is not like the city I'm used to back home; there really isn't much to do (unless you want drive an hour or more). I'm not all about doing stuff on my own; it just isn't fun (you would think as an only child I would be used to it, but it got old real fast as grew up). I've started slipping into a bit of depression, which makes me not want to do things even more. I have been volunteering at a local Humane Society, which helps very little (I get my doggie fix at least). Basically, I'm looking for some advice on how to handle being so far from everyone that means the most to me. Help, please!

Well it's hard and mostly I'd just say distract yourself. Maybe it's time for some new hobbies? There is a website called meetup.com where you can search certain hobbies and they will give you groups of people who share that same hobby and meet up every week. I found a lot for foodies as I'm a culinary student, so maybe that will help

Comment

I'll have to check that website out. Thanks! I was trying to find something like that but kept coming across dating sites. Obviously not what I was looking for.

Comment

lol yeah def don't want dating sites. hope it works out for ya

Comment

I went to my first "meet up" the other day. It was great until the others there stated "I don't want to hang around the 22 year olds," since I am 22 (but they meant the college students not necessarily me, just poor choice of words/age). I have a few more "meet up"s on my calendar, so thank for that site.

The boy and I had a long talk the other night which really calmed my nerves and helped me feel better. Valentine's Day helped too. Ha.

Comment

Working...
          X