Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What gets you through the little battles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What gets you through the little battles?

I'm sure everyone here knows what I'm talking about; you think you've got a handle on things, you have a countdown until the next time you get to see your SO and then suddenly, everything just feels out of control. I know for me, exams tend to trigger this feeling. We used to take all the same classes in high school and study together, so now when I have to study for my college finals, I can't help but think about her and feel completely alone. And sometimes when I wake up, I forget that she's not there, so when I realize we're not next to each other, it makes the whole day seem that much worse.

I don't expect there to be any easy fixes, certainly none that works for everyone, but I'm sure you all have some hints or tips you've learned. For me, I finally decided to do something drastic and I got her initials tattooed on this inside of my lip. That helps me feel like we're always connected even when we're miles away. What do you do for that little extra boost to get you through the rough times?

Ill re-read my letters or watch my videos, it reminds me that he's feeling the same as i am, and it keeps me going. I'll look at pictures, and remember what we felt. But really what gets me through my struggles is him, those nice or needed conversation, the future talks, the reassuringly convos.
    I love you Nathan <3
    sigpic
    5/25/09 <3

Comment

Reading his messages and mails.. look at the pictures we took together;remember the things we did together and what he said, talking about where we wann go; it never gets easier but I know that I have to hold on for us

Comment

Wow, that is drastic, go you

When we were LD in 09, I found the thing that got me through was being connected to skype constantly - especially sleeping on skype. Going to bed alone is always the worst part for me. But then when we went LD for a little while last year, I found being on skype all the time was tedious and too limiting to my every day life - besides that my internet was way too crappy to pull it off

So last year the thing that got me though the most was his unlimited international texts. My phone would blow up (I usually hate that saying but in this case it's apt) with upto 13 texts at like three in the morning, (I don't mind being woken) and I'd know that the first person I'd hear from the next day would be him.

I found that just accepting the situation bought me a lot of piece of mind though - whenI had the discipline to do that!
        Happily married to the little Canadian boy I never thought I'd meet in person

Comment

Alcohol
          \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
          \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
          \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

Thanks for all the ideas! We used to video chat all the time, but classes have gotten to a point where that is impractical. Pictures help a lot for me too, I also found out that in iPhoto there's a feature called "Smart Albums" that can automatically pull out all the pictures of the two of you together if you have a Mac. Also, I just turned 21 a few months back so I'm trying to learn to like drinking (everything just tastes so bad)

Comment

Whenever I felt like this, I would snuggle up with his old button-up shirt that he wore in high school. It made it a lot better. I also looked at letters and pictures and old chats. It really does help.
              Hang in there!
              sigpic
              Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
              Our first LDR ~ August 2009
              Closed the distance ~ January 2011
              He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
              Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
              He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
              Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
              Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Sometimes, I'll do like Manoek and have a drink, but I feel weird drinking alone. Looking at pictures sometimes makes it worse, so I go a different route. I know it sounds strange, but anything tangible helps me get through the separation easier. I really like going through letters since it's nice to hold something he was holding at one point.

Comment

I wear a hoodie of his and call him on the phone. Then I spend the rest of the day trying to keep my mind off it and being as happy as I can be. I take comfort in the fact that I know he loves me and I love him.

Also I come here and stare at my tickers.

Comment

Originally posted by magician13134 View Post
                    Also, I just turned 21 a few months back so I'm trying to learn to like drinking (everything just tastes so bad)
                    Lol... Nooooooooo don't start

But seriously.. He gave me a hat that smells like him! And I have a pillow that I always cuddle ^_^

That helps a lot!
                    \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
                    \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

I have a pillow I always cuddle with too (and this might sound crazy) sometimes I put his deodorant on it so I can smell him. It really does make me feel less lonely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra View Post
                        I have a pillow I always cuddle with too (and this might sound crazy) sometimes I put his deodorant on it so I can smell him. It really does make me feel less lonely.
                        EXACTLY!

I have his hat with his Calvin Klein fragrances he has.. It's on my nightstand. And I also have a tester of a fragrance that he always wore in my wallet ^_^

Comment

I text him, i listen to our songs, re-read old messages. I come here and feel less alone because i'm not going through this alone. At night if i feel low i read the card and hug the shirt he sent me, i always wake up still holding it.
                          As long as there is air in my lungs... there is a chance

Comment

I dream about packing up my apartment and leaving, I have done that since the first day I moved away. I also look around on craigslist for places we could live when we move back to each other.

Comment

I sometimes send him messages if I'm feeling particularly lonely. We try to skype as often as we can and we use MSN on our phones to IM each other if we're away from our computers.

Comment

Working...
                              X