Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does it bother you when they say "love you" instead of "I love you"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does it bother you when they say "love you" instead of "I love you"?

I don't know if other people get this, but sometimes it bothers me when Matt says, "love you" instead of "I love you". Like... He might as well just say "ily", it seems almost meaningless without the "I"... Maybe that's just me being picky, I'm not sure. So I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way. It doesn't bother me half as much with Matt as it used to bother me with past boyfriends because I know he really does love me, I think it's just more meaningful... You know?

LOL...ok so I am not the only crazy one left on the planet. Leaving out the "I" doesn't bother me. But I will tell you what does!! I hate "love ya"...ya?? Not you?? I also hate the spelling "luv" No no no no no!! Its not "luv"...its "LOVE" damn it!

I will be honest and say that my BF does not use luv. And I only get "ya" very rarely and usually when he is rushing in a text. So I cannot complain at all. But I certainly know exactly what you mean!

Comment

I'm guilty of saying "luv u" "ily" "love u".... whoops.

Comment

No... it doesn't bother me. What does though, however...as weird as it may sound is when he says "Morning" instead of "Good morning." Kind of sounds like the day isn't going to be off on a good start! Lol
        sigpic

Comment

Haha, I do not have this problem because we speak in spanish, and saying "yo te amo" (I love you) is the same as "te amo" (which still means "I love you"), because conjugated verbs in spanish let you know exactly which person speaks, therefore it's useless to say the "I" every time you speak about yourself.

But I get what you mean. It kind of feels...not so personal. I feel things such as "love ya", "love you", "luv u" and "ily" are kind of "informal" ways of saying it, like something I'd see in a fast text or during some funny situation while chatting, like lt's say you tell a funny experience and he replies with "hahahaha! love you"

It would bother me though if he used it during some really romantic situation, where I'd rather have the whole "I love you" (if I were an English speaker). It feels more "serious" somehow, like he means it.

Although... for Spanish I'm a grammar nazi. I am not one to get angry at people for their bad grammar or spelling but I do write correctly myself. I read one of my first conversations with my SO and I found out he had plenty of mistakes, abbreviations and such stuff, and his writing now is nearly flawless.

Comment

Do you correct him when he uses poor grammar? Or did he just pick up on your flawless grammar?

Comment

hmm, no because we only say love you after something cute or when were remebering something and he makes me laugh ill say "lol love you" But he always says the I, and i do the same, it does feel more personal, amazing how the little things mean the most. Before when I would leave a fast quick message on my way out i had at times put luv ya, lol dont do that any more, he didnt like it an told me, and really it doesnt look the same. I perfer the I's too.
              I love you Nathan <3
              sigpic
              5/25/09 <3

Comment

*Raises hand* This sounds like me alright.

Comment

I'm a firm believer in the little things being the most important. It doesn't bother me when he says love you (I don't think?) but I don't really like it when he says "ily2", after I write I love you. It doesn't always, but most times it really does.

Comment

He just picked it up. I very rarely correct him because I do not like being annoying about it... but since he likes writing poems and stories, he asks me to be a strict on that with him at times. When he asks for it, I do correct him. It's rare to find mistakes in his texts nowadays!

Comment

It used to bother me when he first started with the "love you", but we've been saying it for over year and I've learned not to sweat it. I know what he means
                      "We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love " ~ Theodore Seuss Geisel.

Comment

No I don't! But I do think it means more if he or I say it in Dutch!
                        \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
                        \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
                        \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

For us it depends on the context. When we first started out, it was an issue. "Love you" meant annoyance. Now, we're not that finicky. But...we're able to still read eachother and figure out WHEN "love you" feels like annoyance. The I makes it more heartfelt, and the name or a just for us pet name also has its way of setting the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Aurora View Post
                            Although... for Spanish I'm a grammar nazi. I am not one to get angry at people for their bad grammar or spelling but I do write correctly myself. I read one of my first conversations with my SO and I found out he had plenty of mistakes, abbreviations and such stuff, and his writing now is nearly flawless.
                            I do this too!

We only communicate in Spanish as well and while my SO is a super smart guy, he loves using "text speak" which I can't stand. I always correct him and ask to pleeeease not type like that with me. I told him I put in a lot of effort to learn Spanish correctly (including written Spanish) and it confuses me when he types all crazy like that

Comment

I never really use abbreviations and neither does he. Sometimes i'll say "love you" if i'm in a rush and about to leave my house. It still holds the same meaning, but I generally say "I love you" if I'm reallly feeling the love oh and also, I only say it if I want to say it... if he tells me he loves me but I'm just not feeling it then I won't respond the same, I'll just put a smiley face or a heart or something.. I just really don't want to say "I love you" if I don't whole heartedly mean it. I also don't like to say it frequently because I feel like it loses meaning.

Comment

Working...
                              X