Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Complicated problems with the future. Help, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complicated problems with the future. Help, anyone?

My boyfriend and I have been together long distance for almost a year and a half. We are both in high school and will be attending the same college next year--yay! The only problem is, whenever we talk about the future (2-4 years from now), even hypothetically, we fight. He goes to a collegiate high school and will be graduating from there with his AA this year, so he'll be graduating from college two years earlier than I will. On top of that, he's majoring in computer science (with eventual hopes for a film career but with more current hopes to make money in programming so he can produce his own films) and I'm majoring in theater and creative writing. He might not get a job offer in or around New York, LA, or Chicago (the areas in America with the most acting business), at least not at first. I'm okay with that; there are a lot of reputable repertory theaters in every area of the US where I could beef up my resume. However, what he doesn't seem to understand is that in order for my career as an actress, at least, and probably as a screenwriter, too, to grow, I will need to end up in New York City or Los Angeles after a while. This isn't me being a stubborn pig; it's me thinking about what's best for my career. There just isn't a lot of work for an actress in Portland, Oregon, for example, and after a while in a "minor" US city I'm going to want to try my hand at the big leagues. However, he sees my limited location options as an inability to compromise, and I see his being practically certain that he won't get a job in any city I would need to be in, without even saying "I'll try my hardest to get a job in those areas eventually", as having a really pessimistic attitude. Throughout his parents' marriage, his father worked and his mother stayed at home, enabling her to follow him wherever he needed to go; my boyfriend has said that he supports my career ambitions, loves that I'm passionate about theater, and wants me to reach my goals, but he has also admitted (unsurprisingly) that his parents' relationship has always been the model he imagined for himself on that front. (My parents, just FYI, divorced when I was six and have both worked since then.)

Let me just say that I realize that at least part of this conversation is completely ridiculous. I get that. None of this has happened yet, none of this is even close to happening yet, and we don't know the details. But you need to understand that we really are best friends. We make each other laugh, we cry with each other, we have fun together and talk more (and more deeply) than any other couple I know. We know just about EVERYTHING about each other, and other than when we're talking about the distant future, we're happy. Isn't that worth holding onto? Don't all couples have to have some kind of plan for the next five years? Somebody, please offer some advice. I'd really appreciate it.

What you have to remember, is that you are both young. Not saying that you dont love each other, but as you both grow and mature, things change. Priorities may change, ideals may change and feelings may change.
    If you were both getting ready to graduate from college, i would see it differently. But when you go to college, you will meet different people that will give you different outlooks on life. Your career choices and paths may change, the economy may dictate more of your future plans than you can realize right now.
    Personally, in your situation, at the present time, I dont think it is worth fighting over where either of you are going to be working in 5-10 years. There are too many variables that can/will change between now and then.
    Enjoy what you have together
    everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

Exactly what was said above.

5 year plans and anything more than 1-2 are really just throwing idea cards at a bucket. You're having an argument over something that is completely out of the picture right now. I would almost guarantee that once you get 2 semesters into college, both of you will have different ideas about where you want to spend your future and what you want to do with your life.

Just enjoy your relationship right now and come back to this conversation about where you are going to move when you are closer to graduating from College, not High school. You guys have tons of time to work out the other details. Don't worry about that other stuff right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LoveL View Post
        Just enjoy your relationship right now and come back to this conversation about where you are going to move when you are closer to graduating from College, not High school. You guys have tons of time to work out the other details. Don't worry about that other stuff right now.
        Well said, LoveL! If you spend too much worrying about something that will happen 5 years from now, then you miss out on what the relationship has to offer now. You'd be surprised how much changes even in just 1 or 2 years. Whenever I've made plans, they always turn out to something completely different. Planning too far ahead creates added stress in the relationship and for each individual, so naturally it leads to more arguing. I think it's great you're looking at what you want in the future, but it can really mess with your head since there are so many what-ifs. You start to think about every possible situation and it's easy to get very overwhelmed. Life just needs to run its course and everything will fall into place. I realize it's easier said than done to relax and not plan as much, but it will feel more natural over time.

Comment

Thank you, guys. I really appreciate your answers... we should relax. I don't know why we're freaking out about it so much.

Comment

Working...
          X