BIG NEWS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BIG NEWS!

Ive written about adding two more yrs to the distance by staying in puerto rico to finish my masters down here. But have not yet started. I was looking for options for me to be closer to him without risking our relationship. Found this school CAU in miami that they say is one of the top in psychology and i mentioned it to him and he was very iffy about it because if out of state fees. He lives in orlando so it would be 4 hrs away from him but hey better than a sea apart, right? Anyways before i said anything to him had solicited and admissions info package that i receive thru email, it arrived today and the email had contact numbers and i decided to call. Turns out theres no out of state fees so my degree would cost same as an instate student so what he was iffy about is not true. No matter what i would have to get into loans to get my masters down here so why not try to be closer to him and do the masters that i want. Seems like a win win.
    Better news is coming now. Im going to go down to orlando to visit him in april 19 thru 22 and i was thinking of making an appointment to seek more counseling and see if i like the campus. It would be a bit expensive with living wise cuz right now I'm living with my mom and have to pay no rent. But i think its worth it. I'm excited, nervous, happy, afraid. Its a big change and a big decision and i want to make right choice. Have you guys gone thru the same??? Any advice???

I am so glad to see things are falling into place and you might be able to be closer to your SO!!!

Sure it must be scary, Just like all big changes life. It is very important you make sure you havd your SO's support in this, subce you're doing it for the both of you, but I think everything will be fine!!

Yay!!! You're getting steps closer to actually closing the distance!!!

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

I think it's a good idea to get an appointment and see if you will be happy on that campus. Even if it seems like a good idea on paper, if you don't like the place, you are going to be very unhappy. I do hope you see the place and like it- it would be a great opportunity to have the best of both worlds for certain! I hope it works out all for the best for you!

<3 The day we met : 10.31.2009
      <3 Our first Date: 11.04.2009
      The Day we went long distance: 08.08.2010
      <3 He came to England: 12.27.2010-01.07.2011
      <3 My trip to Ohio: 5.29.2011-6.09.2011
      Our first Christmas visit: 12.23.2011-1.7.2011
      Distance closed: 2.29.2012!!!!!!!!

Comment

Congratulations! Taking a big step in life like that is always a good experience.

Only word of caution would be to make absolutely sure that he is ready for that bit of extra commitment. The last thing you want to do is change your life, move closer to him and have him not be ready. You both need to be on the same page about this. Don't keep anything from him.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by alesitag View Post
          I am so glad to see things are falling into place and you might be able to be closer to your SO!!!

Sure it must be scary, Just like all big changes life. It is very important you make sure you havd your SO's support in this, subce you're doing it for the both of you, but I think everything will be fine!!

Thank youu!! Its scary but i think its more of butterflies =)

Originally posted by nicole View Post
          I think it's a good idea to get an appointment and see if you will be happy on that campus. Even if it seems like a good idea on paper, if you don't like the place, you are going to be very unhappy. I do hope you see the place and like it- it would be a great opportunity to have the best of both worlds for certain! I hope it works out all for the best for you!

And yes i thought of that already and i made the appointment so ill keep you guys posted if i love the campus. Maybe even pictures. Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by LoveL View Post
          Congratulations! Taking a big step in life like that is always a good experience.

Only word of caution would be to make absolutely sure that he is ready for that bit of extra commitment. The last thing you want to do is change your life, move closer to him and have him not be ready. You both need to be on the same page about this. Don't keep anything from him.

Good luck.
          Yes i know what ur trying to say with the commitment thing but we are engaged and we've talked a lot about our future a lot . I am a bit traditional and i prefer marrying first then living together & moving will be a good distance 4 hrs away (driving) ,plane ride much less. We won't be seeing each other that often but more than right now & for a cheaper price. We are only getting to see each other two times a yr and now cuz he got a job (and has no vacation days during his first yr) it will be harder. He def. like the idea & he will check out the campus and i can see his reaction in person if its too much for him to handle but i doubt it. =) Thanks for the advice.

---------- Post added at 09:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Originally posted by alesitag View Post

Thank youu!! Its scary but i think its more of butterflies =)

Originally posted by nicole View Post

And yes i thought of that already and i made the appointment so ill keep you guys posted if i love the campus. Maybe even pictures. Thanks for the advice.

Originally posted by LoveL View Post

Good luck.
          Yes i know what ur trying to say with the commitment thing but we are engaged and we've talked a lot about our future a lot . I am a bit traditional and i prefer marrying first then living together & moving will be a good distance 4 hrs away (driving) ,plane ride much less. We won't be seeing each other that often but more than right now & for a cheaper price. We are only getting to see each other two times a yr and now cuz he got a job (and has no vacation days during his first yr) it will be harder. He def. like the idea & he will check out the campus and i can see his reaction in person if its too much for him to handle but i doubt it. =) Thanks for the advice.

Comment

So, like others have mentioned, checking the campus is super important, but besides that, I would really try to question the staff about where alumni are working now and what networking opportunities they offer. Psychology is not necessarily an in-demand degree, so the school's contacts will be vital as far as job prospects are concerned. Also, for top US grad schools, this is the definitive list:

https://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...ology-rankings

Hope everything works out for you.

Comment

Working...
            X