How to support my SO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to support my SO?

Hey guys and girls, I just wanted to ask you how you support your SO when they need your help etc. Becsuse my girlfriend's grandfather had to go to the ER today because he broke his leg. So she was really upset and I tried to keep talking to her but then her phone battery died...
    So I spent the rest of the night (I'm 7 hours ahead of her) waiting for her to get back home. We have this tumblr blog together and I asked some people there to maybe write a message to my girlfriend, kind of as a surprise. But it's the worst feeling ever, not being able to do anything to help her :/

How would you deal with a situation like this?

P.S.: it's 5 AM here and I got about 1 hour of sleep... Oh and I'm writing this post on my iPad so yeah, there will be typos
    Last edited by Luke; April 1, 2012, 10:28 PM.
    Close together or far apart, you're forever in my heart.

I think you're handling it very well, it's so sweet of you to do the tumblr thing for her, I bet she will feel a lot better when she sees it

Being far away doesn't give you too many options when it comes to support your SO, but what I do is basically messaging him and letting him know I'm here for him and that my heart is beating right next to him. I'm a bit religious, so I always pray for him and/or his family and I tell him about it. Even though he's not very religious, it always seems to make him feel a lot better. I occasionally send him emails when I'm not able to see him online.

Trust me, just knowing you care, will be more than enough for her during this hard times.

“Laughing like children, living like lovers, rolling like thunder under the covers”

Comment

Ok thanks

Comment

Just being there to listen (or text) is really all you can do. Maybe send her a card?

I know how you feel. Part of my SO's house burned down last January and it was so hard to be away from him during that. I also was in a bad car accident during that same week. It was a very difficult week for us!

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
        Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
        Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
        Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
        Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

My so's sister had a mastectomy last year due to cancer. i texted him thruout the day while he was at the hospital. Tried to make light jokes, to take some of the stress off him. let her know you are there to talk to or just talk at. Sometimes it just takes knowing someone is there to listen
          everything happens for a reason. We may never find out what that reason is/was, but there is a reason.

Comment

You're fine, you're doing all the rights things, as best you can. Being around when she needs to talk is the most important thing, and I'm sure she knows how supportive you are. Just keep it up, and try not to worry too much.
            This type of situation is one of the most difficult parts of an LDR, and it's a very helpless feeling, I know.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Thanks for your answers the only thing that sucks is that we can't spend much time together now because she's staying at the hospital with her grandfather :/ but oh well... Thats part of being in a LDR .

Comment

Working...
              X