This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New beginnings

Hey there, everyone. I'm new to this website, but I'm certainly no newbie at LDRs! I'm looking for a little advice.

Over the course of the last two years, I have been in Two distinct LDRs. The first of them was with a gal named Ellen. She lives in Wyoming, and I'm from Iceland, currently living in Norway, LIVED in Denmark at the time. That relationship ended after a few months, which may make it sound less meaningful to some of you, but it was honestly one of the most painful experiences of my life, and even though it has been over a year, it still effects me from time to time.

The second relationship was with this girl named Karen from Wisconsin, and we started out a couple of months after Ellen and I broke up. We've been together for over a year now, but this Christmas my family moved to Norway, and I don't know what triggered it, but right after that, Karen said we needed to go on a break. (Which incidentally is how Ellen started the conversation when she broke up with me.) Of course, I can't go into why she feels this way, but I can say that Over the last year our relationship has gone a little sour.

The difference between the two relationships is in the beginning. You see, Ellen and I were internet friends, best friends even for months before we began the relationship. Karen and I started out with the intention of trying for a long distance relationship. Over the last year, Karen began to seem less and less interested in actually talking to me and more interested in watching her show or whatever she happens to be doing on the computer at the time. Sometimes when I confront her about it, she gets straight-up-mean to me. This Break that she has initiated was basically an ultimatum. I had planned on going to the US this summer, but due to a very limited budget, I may have to postpone,, and I fear that Karen just doesn't have the patience to persevere. I think the troubles between us are largely due to us having jumped right into this relationship and not really have gotten to know each other WELL enough first or given ourselves time to develop a meaningful foundation for a relationship.

Now comes the interesting bit: Three years ago, even before I ever knew Ellen OR Karen existed, I met (On the internet, of course) A girl by the name of Danielle. She and I became extremely good friends, and she was there for me when I was going through a very hard time right after Ellen broke up with me. It never occurred to me that Danielle and I might make a good couple until it was far too late to deny that I had any feelings for her. I know it may sound cliché, but our friendship (and mutual attraction) has grown into something more. The break with Karen has allowed me to confess my feelings for Danielle, and her for me (they were mutual as well), and because of the years we spent as the best of friends, I really have faith that Danielle and I have a good chance of making it through the future together, but I don't want to make the same mistakes I made with Karen. I want this new beginning to at the very least mean something, and whether that means ending a doomed relationship before it gets out of hand or starting a new one that could last a long, long time wont matter in the long run. Just that it mean something positive.

I know some of you must think I'm a total.. What's the word I'm looking for? The male equivalent of 'A whore', and some of you must think I probably don't even know what the word 'Love' Means, and I'm just chasing after every googly-eyed floozy that bats her eyelashes at me, but I assure you, I take my relationships very seriously and I would appreciate any advice anyone has for me about what to do about my situation: How to tell Karen about Danielle? How to tell my parents that my LD-Girlfriend of a year and a half may be about to be replaced, and still have them take my feelings seriously? Has anyone ever been in a remotely similar situation, and how did YOU deal with it? Every little bit helps.

I'm really sorry for the wall of text, and I am doubly sorry If I bored you, but I hope you can add your two cents. Every last bit of advice is appreciated.

- Thor

First of all, you need to stop comparing one relationship to the other. You just can't do that. One might have worked and one might not have is completely irrelevant to how long you knew each other before. They are two totally different people and if anything I'd say that not being friends with the girl before has proved to work better then what you are saying.
    Have you talked to current girl about why she wanted a break? Are you willing to make it work with her if she wants that? If you are ready to leave the relationship, then do so and do it without bringing up Danielle. If you decide to remain in said relationship, don't tell her about danielle and give yourself a little distance from her.If you do decide to end things and try something with D then take it slow, don't rush in to something. You need to give yourself time to get over one and be on your own a bit before jumping in to something new.

Comment

I think that it sounds like it might really work with Danielle. Going on the basis that you have known each other for along time before hand, I would say that it has a great chance at working. She's been there for you through you breaking up with other girlfriends, which says that she is willing to wait for you and will always be there for you. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Comment

Snow_Girl - Thank you, that was really constructive. I've talked to Karen about why she wanted this Break, and she seems really vague about it. If I'm perfectly honest, It's all a little suspicious. I'm usually not so Paranoid, it's just that with Karen, and what she's said and done in the past, It's hard to tell when she's being truthful with me. I often wonder if this Break is just her way of being able to date other guys, but still have me as a Backup plan. I don't want to be a Backup plan! I really, really don't want to be a Backup plan ;n;

BabyDimples - Thank you, I really appreciate that. I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm worried and afraid. Most of what I need can be found in good advice or uplifting comments like yours, even from total strangers. It's very comforting to know that there are people out there who actually prefer staying positive than looking on the dark side :P

Comment

I think you should cut out Karen from your life and try things with Danielle. It seems like you have more faith in Danielle and that things with Karen are fizzling anyway.

Girls named Ellen.... gotta watch out for them... jk :P

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
          Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
          Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
          Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
          Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

Working...
          X