Parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents

I know a lot of LDR couples have issues with their SO's parents, but I figured I'd try and make a lighter thread. Who LOVES their SO's family?

I recently stayed with my SO and his family this past week, and spent the majority of the time having "double dates" with his parents. It was really fun to sit on the couch and watch a movie, and see how they are still really in love. My parents are separated, so it's hard for me to imagine long term like that. His mom took me out for ice cream when my SO was tired and went to bed early. She wanted to make sure I was having fun, and his dad brought us all out to dinner to get steaks. I was so happy and grateful. I don't really expect anything when I go there and try to help out the best I can, but they treat me like their own child and introduce me to their friends when they come over. It's just a really nice feeling.

His mother and I get a little bit frustrated with his work ethic sometimes, but it was nice to talk to someone who understands how I feel and I get an inside view of how he acts at home. She told me that the first time he came to visit, that he had came home and had showed off to her how I had packed his bag so neatly. It really means a lot, because he wouldn't tell me those things normally, and it's cute how she noticed how much it meant to him.

My SO acts a lot like his father, so it was kind of neat observing what he might be like in the future. And his mother was keen on telling me how sometimes she gets annoyed with the same things I do (boys making a mess, leaving stuff everywhere, etc), but she is still really happy. It makes me hopeful you could say. I worry too much about everything, and even now, I'm starting to worry myself over college and moving, and I just got home. I'm just grateful that I had someone to talk to other than my SO when I was up there, that would understand my girl needs, like shopping. :P

I've only just met my SO's parents on my last visit, but I love them. They're adorable and funny and his dad is a really good cook. I was super nervous meeting them, but they made me feel right at home.

Comment

I LOVE my boyfriend's family. They are the most welcoming family. His mom offered to let me live with her until I am settled in a new country. Even though none of us expected that it'd take this long for me to find a job, she still graciously let me live with her and her husband. I finally found a job (got confirmation TODAY), and sent in my application for an apartment! She constantly tells me how much she enjoys my being here and how much she'll miss me when I move out.

His dad's family and his sister's family are pretty incredible too. I've become quite close with his sister so she's the one I hang out with the most. I don't know, I never really expected to get along this well with his family, but I am pleasantly surprised. (:

Comment

We are not yet ready for that I think.
        I hope to see meet his family one day
        ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

His parents are lovley I'm in email contact with them every now and again because I'm so far away now, but they really do treat me like their own. They also let us have our own space together, which is great. When I moved out of my house last summer, his mum offered to take a carload of stuff for me back to their house, so I could collect it once I'd finally moved out (before I moved to the USA for work, my SO and I lived in the same area). My SO had to stay at uni, which meant I had to go round and pick it up by myself when he wasnt around. It was so funny, all the stories they told me from when he was younger, like how he took a picture of every room in their old house before they moved away and about the time his dad gave an old toy he never played with to the neighbours and Adam got so upset over it, his dad had to go round and ask for it back :P Stories I guess he wouldnt have told me :P Gave me a little bit more of an insight into him I guess! hehe

At christmas though, they always get me a huge bag full of gifts! Its so lovley of them (I feel bad though becuase I usually just get them biscuits...).

Its very comforting to feel so accepted
          Si tu n'etais pas la
          Comment pourrais-je vivre
          Je ne connaitrais pas
          Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
          Quand je suis dans tes bras
          Mon coeur joyeux se livre
          Comment pourrais-je vivre
          Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
          Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Comment

While I disagree with how my SO's parents handle their and my SO's finances, I do love them!

His mom has always been very accepting of me. She even has asked my SO when he's going to propose and already considers me her daughter in law haha. I essentially live at his house when I'm in Jersey (and we were CD for a while so that was a lot!) and his whole family acts like I'm already a part of their family.

His extended family is also very accepting of me too. I go to all their family gatherings (Christmas, Easter, ect) when I'm home and when I'm not there everyone gets confused and questions my SO for a while haha. I love that extended family dynamic because my family does not really associate with our extended family due to different conflicts and just logistical issues.

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
            Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
            Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
            Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
            Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

I LOVE my SO's family! They are so laid back and friendly that I already consider them a second family. I feel like I fit right in with them. It took me awhile to get his mom to like me at this point, she had always wanted him to marry his ex girlfriend. I'm happy to say that she's liking me a lot more now. His step father has ALWAYS liked to tell me stories and mess with me, so him and I have always gotten along. I don't see his biological father very much, but when I do, he likes to brag about how it was his idea for my SO and I to date. xD haha. His nieces already consider me their aunt and are constantly asking me if my SO and I are going to get married. :P I couldn't be any happier with his family.
              "You will always have my heart, no matter how far we're apart" ~ Jacob

Comment

I absolutely love my SO's parents and brother! I feel I can converse with them about anything, and offer suggestions on problems. It's a warm and loving family, and I can't wait to be a part of it! :-)
                National Novel Writing Month Participant- 2010, 2011, 2012
                National Novel Writing Month Winner- 2010, 2011, 2012

Current Writing Project: Wait Until Next Year

Comment

My SO's dad is awesome and very accepting and warm towards me. Also their lovely adorable puppy Cookie is very loving towards me as well. I love them both a lot, they are basically my second family. I have yet to meet any of his other family because.. well, to make it simple, there is a lot of tension with other family. Oh well... I'm just really thankful that his dad lets me stay at their house, it makes the journey soo much more inexpensive

Comment

His parents and I don't know each other very well yet, but they've already been so supportive and very, very generous. They're letting me stay at their house when I visit my SO for a couple weeks in the summer. Did I mention they and I haven't even met? They're also both taking time off work to pick me up at the airport (a couple hours away from their home) and to take us places. My SO and I are talking about possibly temporarily closing the distance next year (I might go to university overseas to be near him). His parents are offering to let me live there, rent-free, and to be basically my family away from home. I'll have to tell them just how much that means to me. My relationship with his parents is complicated by their disliking for technology and my utter inability to understand their accents. Hopefully both issues will clear up in July :P. Lovely, lovely people, both of them.

Comment

I LOVE my SO's family! They are a lot of fun and very friendly. I'm always made to feel welcome. I especially love their humour and how close-knit a family they are. I get to talk to his parents sometimes and I always have a good time. They even want me to come live with them. I feel very touched though not quite ready yet to do that even if I totally want to!
                      In short: I feel totally at home with them. And that's really nice because with my ex boyfriends families it was never that comfortable ...

Comment

I haven't met my boyfriends family yet, but yes I love them! They are supporting, and really nice too. They've even invited me to go on their family holiday with them for a week in a couple of months! But, the reason why I can't go would go in the thread opposite to this one about my parents. I have recently started talking to his sister on facebook properly, and I've talked to his mam a few times and she bought something for me the last time my boy sent me something in the post. I really admire them. Not just his mam and sister, but their whole family relationship.
                        Last edited by BabyDimples; April 11, 2012, 04:26 AM.

Comment

I love my SO's family. They've been lovely and welcoming every time I've met them, and I've stayed at his mum's house a few times. His mum is this adorable, tiny little Irish woman who seems to love me! And his dad's a stereotypical French man, and he's hilarious. His sister is a good bit younger than me, but she's a lot of fun, and we stayed up playing board games every night at Christmas! I met two of his step siblings at Christmas, and they were lovely and brought me presents, silly SO not telling me!! I felt bad not reciprocating, but they didn't mind haha. I'm meeting his French family in the summer, quite nervous because of the language barrier, but apparently they're super excited to meet me.

I love it

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                          Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

I get along really well with my SO's family. But my SO loves my family. His family is sort of less adventurous, enjoying just sitting around, drinking coffee and gossiping, and they all smoke. My family is beer-drinking, party-having, mountain-climbing type of people. We've been away from my family since August and I think my SO misses them more than I do

Comment

I've only seen his parents twice when we went to visit them, but they've been very nice to me. They were really friendly and easy to talk to and I felt very welcome. They also sent me a Christmas present and a card for my birthday, and made plans for the next time I come to visit.

I know I'm not 'like family' to them yet, and I probably won't be until we settle down/get married. That's perfectly OK with me, as they're still not 'like family' to me either. We get along great and I really like them as people, but if my boyfriend and I were to break up, it's not like we would stay in touch or anything.

Like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. - Steve Jobs

Comment

Working...
                              X