How do you say goodbye?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you say goodbye?

I LOVE skype chats with my SO. However this presents a problem when it comes to hanging up because, neither of us want to! Sometimes, we end up chatting for another hour, even after we've done the whole "good night, I love you, I miss you routine"! I'm not going to complain about this, because our communication is the best its ever been, but I have to admit, I feel bad when he ends up staying up until the early hours of the morning (One time his neighbour complained he was talking too loudly at 3am in the morning, but he has moved his computer elsewhere in the apartment now so we dont have that issue to stop us anymore). However, my work schedule and the time difference means the earliest we ever get to chat is 11pm his time (6pm my time) How do you find the willpower to say goodbye and just go? :P We both have work and school etc in the morning so its important to sleep!! :P

P.s. I know this isnt really a problem but ya know, I thought it might be cool to share stories and the like :P
    Si tu n'etais pas la
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Je ne connaitrais pas
    Ce bonheur qui m'enivre
    Quand je suis dans tes bras
    Mon coeur joyeux se livre
    Comment pourrais-je vivre
    Si tu n'etais pas la

Love that will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free.
    Home could be anywhere when I am holding you

"DONT RUIN MY DREAM OF MINITURE HIPPOS"

Hahaha this is so true!!! I feel so bad for my SO--I know this certain face I do gets him every, single time (apparently I really can do an upside down smile? :P), and I'm quite good at wrangling another 20 minutes out of him. When he knows he has to get stuff done, he goes and gets it done, whereas I am the world's largest procrastinator (seriously, it's scary sometimes). The past couple of weeks, saying goodbye has been harder than anything for me--I feel like a drug addict living off the highs of our conversations! He knows it, and he always makes sure I'm okay before he goes. On the rare occasions where I have to go first, he gets this forlorn look that melts my heart, so I tell him I have to go a couple minutes before I really do, so we can do our little ritual. And we have to say I love you about a bjillion times. It's the cutest thing, and the hardest thing.

So, I don't have much advice, unfortunately! Just brace yourself and remember that you'll talk again soon, as lame as that sounds.

Great topic!
    "I love thee to the depth, and breadth, and height my soul can reach..." ~Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Comment

Him: It's time for me to go to bed.
      Me: Awww, okay
      Him: Oh alright, one more video.
      Me: Yaaay!
      (one Youtube video later)
      Him: It's time for me to go to bed.
      Me: Awww, okay
      Him: You're so cute. Have a good night, okay sweetie? Get to bed at a good time!
      Me: I will! And you're cuter.
      Him: You're cutest!
      Us: *high five*
      Him: Haha aww, good night baby. I love you!
      Me: Good night baby, I love you too!
      Us: *waves and smiles while he hangs up*

And then we say goodnight again over chat <3.

Comment

I know exactly how you feel! I always feel bad because my love always stays up until about 1 am every night, was 2 or 3 before but I cut that because I was feeling really guilty. So I just say I have all this stuff to do (when I really don't) just so we can let go at a decent hour. Our time difference is about the same as you.

Lately it's been hard to let go too - I actually feel empty after we say goodbye. Probably because I just saw him and am still feeling the effects of the terrible post-visit blues. Love that man so much!!

Met: November 19, 2010
        Tim came to Texas: April 27, 2011
        Made it official: April 29, 2011
        Lori went to England: September 21, 2011
        Mini trip to Paris: September 22, 2011
        Tim popped the question: September 22, 2011
        K-1 Visa approved!: May 21, 2012
        Closed the distance!: July 26, 2012
        Got married: September 22, 2012

Comment

"On the count of three we both end the call, okay? Okay. One... two... two and a half... two and three quarters..."

We do get there in the end, haha!

Comment

I know right!!!!
            So harsh right!

Most of the time it's him... cuz he goes to bed before me, so he gets sleepy before I do.
            I have a very hard time with cutting the chat/talk/phone....
            And in person, it's even harder but that's another thread :P
            ♡ ~~~~ 'When you find something worth fighting for, you never give up' ~~~~ ♡

Comment

Saying goodbye doesn't really present a problem for my SO and I because when we do talk on the phone it is at a very expensive cost (about 20 cents per minute)...so knowing I have a certain amount budgeted per month for phone calls to him, I have to keep track of my time. Usually we speak for 50 minutes, which is $10, and when the credit is about to run out, I'll hear I message that says "You have one minute left"...then I'll just let him know my credit is about to end and we'll say our goodbyes and I love you's as quick as we can. The call then cuts off and I hear "Your friend is disconnected" and that's that. It really sucks, but unfortunately it's how the situation is.Many times I have just started crying after hearing that sudden disconnect and knowing the call is over.

Comment

My SO learnt a long time ago that I am actually incapable of saying goodbye, even if I'm about to fall asleep! He either says goodbye, to which i don't say bye to, but just say 'ok' or something, or he's started waiting until i fall asleep and then hangs up.

And when we say goodbye in person after spending a few days together, i literally just push him away and tell him to go!! Otherwise I just get upset

Comment

Normally for us calls end when one of us has a specific place that we have to be at a certain hour. We spend the last five minutes of the call saying "I love you" and goodbye and stuff, and then we always say goodbye over chat as well. If we don't have somewhere to be, but I (for instance) need to go to bed, we normally end things like ripping off a plaser: quick as possible so it's not as hard. It still sucks, but at least it's over and done with.

Comment

Lately I've been so busy with school work (finishing up my third year of college) that I've been falling asleep on webcam every night. It's really starting to frustrate me, because we haven't been able to actually talk for about 5 weeks. It sucks! I mean, we talk, but not like we used to because I have such limited time available. :/ So saying goodnight sucks!

Comment

Working...
                    X