Talks of military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talks of military

So my SO has always tossed the idea of joining the military around, and since my dad is in town (he is in the air force) he's stressed how important it is to at least see a recruiter to answer his questions and whatnot so he can really decide yes or no. He's at a point in his life where he's about to finish his degree, and I think he's approaching a crossroads right now. Military is a great career option - you got free medical care, you get to travel the world, you have job security, and other benefits. And up until now I've been all for it, and even talked to him about seeing a recruiter while my dad's in town. He likes the idea, but I just remembered one thing - he has to deploy eventually. And I won't be there to "protect" him. My dad has gone on a lot of deployments in his life, and he's never been hurt at all. But what if the worst happens to my SO?
    I guess what I'm looking for is some words of reassurance.
    sigpic
    Began our story ~ July 1, 2007
    Our first LDR ~ August 2009
    Closed the distance ~ January 2011
    He joined the Air Force ~ January 1, 2013
    Our second LDR ~ January 2, 2013
    He proposed ~ July 4, 2013
    Our wedding day ~ December 30, 2014
    Closing the distance ~ Summer 2015

Proud of my Airman!!

What branch does he want to go into? I highly doubt he would go near the frontline if he joins the Navy or Air Force.

And even then, it depends on what he wants to do.

Comment

He's looking at Air Force, which I know isn't that involved in front line but there are always threats. But you're right, depending on his job he may not be anywhere near danger. He's majoring in computer and electronics so maybe he wouldn't be too involved in that kind of stuff.
      Thanks, I'm feeling more level headed now X)
      sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Originally posted by ushiwakafox View Post
        He's looking at Air Force, which I know isn't that involved in front line but there are always threats. But you're right, depending on his job he may not be anywhere near danger. He's majoring in computer and electronics so maybe he wouldn't be too involved in that kind of stuff.
        Thanks, I'm feeling more level headed now X)
        You're welcome!

I doubt he will go near the frontline in that case. I figure he would spend his time on base.

Comment

I sent both my father and my brother to the war in Iraq, and they both came back fine. I think it's a slim chance that anything would happen to him if he were to deploy. Even if he did deploy, he could get deployed to Korea or somewhere else. He would have even less of a chance to have anything happening to him. Just remember that deployment does not necessarily equal war (although I'm sure you're aware of this!). This has often been my experience, but it was with the Army so it might be a little different than the Air Force.
          If he did get sent to war, I doubt he would go anywhere near the frontline due to his major. Would he go to officer school? I think officers spend even less time on the battlefield. Don't quote me on that one though because I'm not 100% sure.
          "I'll hold you in my heart till I can hold you in my arms again."

"It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great! -A League of Their Own

Met: August 22, 2010
          Made it official: September 17, 2010
          Got engaged: January 15, 2012
          Our First Visit: November 18, 2010-November 28, 2010
          Our Seventh (and Last) Visit: November 10, 2012-November 24, 2012
          Got married: November 21, 2012
          Big Wedding Date: May 25, 2013
          Closed the Distance: June 2, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by princessmeg1328 View Post
            Just remember that deployment does not necessarily equal war
            That's a good point, I'll try to keep that in mind.
            I guess I was so nervous because my dad's in the air force and he's been deployed a lot in the past and he's had some close calls. But thinking about it now, my dad's job required him to be more involved in base security. My SO's job would probably keep him in a safer place
            Thanks guys! I feel much better now
            sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

My SO wants to go to the Navy, so ya I totally understand how you feel.. Also because his dad and grandfather had PTSD after deployments.
              But I try not to worry untill he really get's approved and stuff or else I would have been worried for nothing, and that is just a waste of time
              \\ Someday everything will all make perfect sense. So for now, laugh at the confusion, smile through the tears, and keep reminding yourself that everything //
              \\ happens for a reason //

\\ We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing //

\\ When I was 5 years old, my mom always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down “happy.” //
              \\They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, I told them they didn’t understand life!! //

Comment

I have a tendency to waste entire days and nights worrying about things that might not even happen. He hasn't even seen a recruiter next lol. My dad's in town for a few days and he said that he would go with my SO to a recruiter. My SO doesn't have any family with military history so this is all new to him. I actually talked to my dad today about my concerns and I'm actually really excited about it all now.
                I really need to stop freaking out all the time.
                sigpic

Proud of my Airman!!

Comment

Working...