My SO has Lyme Disease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My SO has Lyme Disease

Havent posted in awhile but my SO was over today and we noticed a strange round ring on his arm. We thought it was a welt at first until I looked closer....then it hit me. Omg it must be 'ringworm'. Ugh I get chills while writing this it's disgusting and disturbing. So my SO was freaked out - I was freaked out - my family was worried. (Ringworm is extremely contagious) He left right away to see a doctor, while I am at home disinfecting everything in my house and on my body.

A couple hours go by, which felt like forever and he says he has good news and bad news.... He good news is it wasn't ringworm..BUT he had Lyme disease. I didn't know what that was until he started explaining. It can affect your nervous system, memory loss, causes fever, pains and chills, arthritis, heart attacks and eventually could reach the brain.

Thankfully we caught his infection early, he is on antibodics and has cream for the ring on his arm. Hopefully no more appear. I'll have to search his body for out breaks etc. Right now the only symptoms he has is head aches, fever and chills. But the doctor said the antibodics should cure it.

I don't know why but it was so scary. I am very squeamish. I'll have to suck it up if I am going to take care of my SO.

We are both falling apart today I had a doctor's appointment and I might require surgery in my wrist....great.

Really makes you think how much we take good health for granted.
    .We've Closed the Distance.
    no matter where i am, no matter where you are
    i'll be there when it's over baby - cause i was there from the start
    no matter if i'm near - dont matter if you're far
    all you do is pick the phone up baby & i'll be there when you call

Whenever you need me, whenever you want me,

and that you get from a tick, has he been in any sort of wooded areas lately? i hope he feels better *big huggles*

Comment

Oh no! I'm sorry. I hope thing's turn out for the better. I wish I had advice to give but I sadly do not. Best of luck though

Comment

Yes he is in the air force and was out in the field for a 3 day simulation. He must have been bitten there. It just makes me even more terrified of ticks!

Comment

It really does make you grateful for being healthy once you get sick. I'm sorry you both are having health issues right now. :/ I've had a lot of friends (and my dog) who've had Lyme disease (it's extremely common here) and it's really not as bad as some people make it out to be. They've all recovered safely after medication. I hope the same happens for your SO and I hope your wrist heals without surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by Brieasaurus View Post
            It really does make you grateful for being healthy once you get sick. I'm sorry you both are having health issues right now. :/ I've had a lot of friends (and my dog) who've had Lyme disease (it's extremely common here) and it's really not as bad as some people make it out to be. They've all recovered safely after medication. I hope the same happens for your SO and I hope your wrist heals without surgery.
            Thank goodness, his doctor diagnosis was beyond fatal. It was freaky, I'm sure he'll be ok. As for me its a cyst in my wrist. Which really sucks ill be on light duties at work for 2 weeks then surgery afterwards. I'm stressed because I can't afford to miss work.

Comment

Make sure that the tick actually came off of him and came off outside of your home it would suck if that same tick happened to get you or your SO again. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about too much though hopefully he'll make a full recovery soon

Notes:
              Met: 8.17.09
              Started Dating: 8.20.09
              First Met: 10.2.10
              Closed the Distance: 8.9.14

Comment

I think almost everyone I know has had Lyme disease at some point in their lives. It's extremely common where I live because it's a heavily wooded area with a lot of ticks. He should be fine after medication. I don't know anyone who's had a serious complication. Don't worry too much; the doctors know what they are doing when it comes to this disease!

Just make sure the tick isn't still on him. Also make sure next time he's in a wooded area to have him check fully (and I mean fully) for ticks once he comes indoors. Once I had one on my head underneath my bangs. That was creepy. My SO got Lymes because he got a tick on his.... you know. That was scary (and now kind of funny....).

Became a couple: March 17th, 2010
                Started our college long distance relationship: August 2011
                Surprise engagement in Disneyworld! : March 22nd, 2013
                Closed the distance: May 2nd, 2014
                Became his wife and started our happily ever after!: May 17th, 2014

Comment

It´s great that you two caught it early. All I know about it is that it can be really bad, but my uncles dog got it at one point, but because they noticed it super early, he was completely fine. Good luck and best wishes to him!!!

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
                  -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
                  \

Comment

It's not bad if you catch it within a few months, since that's the only window you can treat it with antibiotics. After that it's crazy!! I have a friend who they thought for years had MS, and it turned out she had very advanced lyme disease. Scary!

I actually had the same happen about a month before I moved overseas in the fall! I had the rash, fever, chills, and had to take the awful antibiotics. At least he'll be completely ok once the antibiotics are done Stupid ticks, they're one thing about which I'm completely squeamish!

Love will not betray you, dismay or enslave you, it will set you free

Met: Cork, Ireland - December 31, 2009 • Started Dating: Cork, Ireland - May 22, 2010 • Became LD: July 15, 2010 • My Move From Canada to UK: October 26, 2011
                    Closed the distance June 18, 2012!

Comment

So glad you noticed it and got it checked out early on! I hope he feels better and I'm glad to see you back here Ms Justine!

Comment

I hope everything will go well for you both (and I'm sure it will)

Comment

I m so sorry please be strong, These kind of situations are hard and difficult, but if you guys come out of it strong, no matter how hard things can get, you both are winners at the end

Comment

That ring is the "bullseye" of Lyme Disease. Not just a circle, but if you get what looks like a bullseye, then you need to get to the doctor. Just future FYI.

He'll be fine. It can be nasty, but it's treatable when you catch it early. Just like syphilis. (was that a good example?)

Comment

I've had it twice (and got really sick both times) and I am totally fine now. Like your SO, we were lucky they caught it early both times because untreated Lyme can be nasty and dangerous. I have no lingering symptoms or lasting effects, I just had to take antibiotics for a month each time. He will be just fine, no worries

If anyone you know ever gets flulike symptoms in the middle of the summer/tick season, make sure to go to a doctor! Lyme disease very often presents without the typical bullseye rash, and like I said before untreated Lyme can be very serious. Best to get the antibiotics and nip it in the bud!

Comment

Working...
                              X