Soooo... 'Bout them parents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soooo... 'Bout them parents?

Well, in light of all that has happened between my SO and I (speaking of good things here), and that since our first time seeing each other not long ago, it has crossed my mind on more than one occasion to finally bring it up to my parents about my boyfriend, about our situation, about, well... Everything.

...Noooo! Not the parents!

I had every intention of telling them about my SO after he visits me in October (Yay!) Or possibly a bit before, and letting them meet him or something. But it's really nerve-wracking over all to tell them, not only because of the fact this is an LDR, but also because of some differences between us that I'm not sure my parents (or at least my dad) would genuinely approve of. Now that being said, my parents are far from the terrors I read about on this website sometimes, and they wouldn't pester me to break up with him or anything, regardless of whether or not they're initially disapproving. Heck, I even think after some time, they would warm up to him, because he is a likable person once you get past his, er... 'Ness,' hah hah.

What terrifies me most about telling my parents isn't even the possible rejection I'll get, but because I have been a shining example of a daughter for all of my life, and I pride myself in, er, well... Being able to make my parents proud. It terrifies me to disappoint them, even if I logically know that they will never ever stop loving me for whatever it is I do. They're not the type of parents to disown you, not by a long shot. I've been able to get away with being with him for nearly a year, and heck, even travel to Canada without them asking many questions because I travel, quite frequently. So the idea of me traveling for seemingly no reason isn't really an odd one to them.

He, however, would be traveling here in October, and he does not trade, quite so much... So inevitably, his parents are going to ask about it, and he said that he would probably just tell them when the time came for him to let them know he was going out of country. I kind of wanted to tell my parents around the same time, but it's so darn stressful to even think about.

What did you guys do when it came time to tell your parents about your LDR? How did they react, and how do they react now?

Haha waiting for the right time, just like you! Scared to death though Just want to make sure me and my SO will stick together before telling the parents. His parents do know though and they seem stoked about it :s

Comment

I guess it is kind of different for me. Me closing the distance with my SO means that I'll be moving back to my hometown so my parents are ecstatic. They are always supportive of everything I want to do though. Even me dating a man 15 years my senior and moving halfway across the world was accepted. I know they will love Luc when they meet him too so that helps.

Comment

I'm very close with my mum, so told her about my SO as soon as we met. She saw me develop a crush on him and all that good stuff, and I knew the sooner I told her about him the more likely she'll approve my plans to visit him
        My mum loves him, and approves and his mum was a little wary (but not against the relationship) but that changed as soon as I met her

I hope your parents approve, and get to know and love your SO too!

Comment

Both my SO and I told our parents before he came to visit me. Our parents were naturally worried. I have always been the good daughter with the exception of boyfriends. My parents always wanted me to date chinese men, and i have never been with an asian before, not by choice, just happened. So when i told my parents this korean guy was coming to stay at my apartment they were worried, for obvious reasons. My parents live in a different country to me so they voiced their concerns that if anything were to happen...well i'd be on my own. Now we're engaged to be married and my parents are happy for me. Theyre sad that i am wanting to move to the states. His parents really like me - although they wished i were christian.

Comment

My parents don't approve of us closing the distance, because I will be moving up to Wichita with my SO, and we won't be living together at first...but I think they're starting to get more accepting, because they really like him...I hope they're okay once I actually head up there...

Comment

My SO wrote his parents an e-mail about it. Because of that, I unfortunately had to tell my mum about it, I had a friend over to help me do it :P She was surprised and worried, but took it pretty well. And afterwards it enabled me to ask her if my SO could come and visit me.
              Together since: Feb 23rd 2005.
              First met: June 13th 2006

Comment

I told my parents right away. Like a couple days after we made it official. They were comming down to visit me that weekend and I got them to meet her. They loved her and thought she was great. Same thing happened a couple weeks later when I met her mum.

I wouldn't worry about telling them too much. They can't stop you from lovin someone after all. I have friends who's parents disaprove of their relationship. Hasn't stopped them from bieng together for almost two years now (they're also LDR).

Comment

My family was a little skeptical in the beginning because Dylan and I met on Twitter. They had never known anyone who'd met their SO online and didn't understand. (But truly...where else was I supposed to meet him? School, work or my grandmother's house? Please... )

I'm like you, OP, I don't ever want to disappoint my parents. But they both knew about him before we met and became official. My father was 'not happy' when I told him I'd be going to meet Dylan. He even said it was 'serial killer s[tuff]'. My mother was more understanding. To ease their worries a bit, I Skyped with him at my grandmother's, so they could all see he was a real person and interact with him a bit. Then they seemed more comfortable. Now, everyone loves him. My dad even said, "it's whatever my daughter wants, so I guess you're in." Which for my dad means, "Welcome to the family, son!" Could you call him or Skype with him and let them talk to him? Maybe if they see him and chat a bit, they'll be more relaxed about the situation.

The only thing I worry about is how you're going to mention, and oh, by the way, we've been seeing each other over a year without telling you. They might not like that. Just be prepared with an answer.

Good luck and enjoy having your man in your town!
                  My motor runs a lover's heartbeat
                  It's just me and you
                  Put the pedal to the metal
                  Baby, turn the radio on
                  We can run to the far side of nowhere
                  We can run 'til the days are gone

Comment

My mom always knows >.> I didn´t stop talking about him for like 2 or 3 months straight, and I mailed him cookies. She kinda figured it out on her own lol.

"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd."
                    -Miguel De Cervantes

Read our story HERE
                    \

Comment

My SO and I were CD first, so we were already well acquainted with both sets of parents by the time we went LD so that was never an issue (and my mom was excited for me re: moving to close the distance, even if she was suffering from "my baby's moving away" syndrome)
                      ♥ Erika & Thomas ♥
                      ♥ Est. January 13, 2011 ♥ Became LDR July 1, 2011 ♥ Christmas visit December 24 - 29, 2011 ♥ Closed the distance June 2, 2012 ♥

♪ Cause with you I'd withstand all of it to hold your hand ♫

Comment

I was CD first, so this wasn't exactly an issue for me, thankfully. However, we had other parental unit problems. I hope it goes well for you, though.

Comment

I have the same problem but its harder to keep it a secret becuase I still live with my parents. They don't really see the point in LDRs and I've gotten some snide remarks before in previous relationships. The whole "Why can't you meet somebody here" speech. Its because of that, I Haven't told them and i've been with my SO for over a year.

Comment

My mother conveniently called my house at the same time I was on the phone with him on Christmas eve. That's how she found out about him in general. She knows that we talk all the time and she has asked a few questions about him, but she doesn't know that we are together. I'm going to tell her after I visit him (if things go well) so that I don't have to worry about all of the stuff she would say about being with someone that I don't get to see in person. I have yet to think of an excuse for the trip out of state though other than "I just want to go". ^^;;
                            His mother.. well.. that's another story entirely and I'm not sure if she knows already or not.
                            "Babe, I'm totally murdering everyone in this building right now! ... You would be so proud of me."
                            This. This is only one of the reasons that I love this man. XD

"I'll surrender up my heart and swap it for yours."
                            Por siempre, mi amor. ♥

Comment

I wanted to talk to my dad about what he thinks of online relationships last summer, but I never had the chance because he was always away on a job-related trip.

My mom's told me that I'm still too young to think about relationships.
                              I'm 19.
                              Neither of them know I'm in an online relationship for almost a year.

I think it'll be a long time 'til I get to tell them...

Joined in 2012. Restarted in 2017!

Comment

Working...
                              X